News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Brushed Shoestring  (Read 720 times)

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Old Brushed Shoestring
« on: November 13, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »
I got this Shoestring at an auction.  It is setup for electric and I suspect that it is rather old.  No battery's were included and I also suspect that they never got it to fly.  The prop is a Zinger 6x3.5 that is press fit on the motors shaft.  The battery connector is a 9v plug clip that has been cut in half and for a speed control it has an on/off switch.  I am debating putting in a brushless motor but my fundage is rather short and all my other motors have planes.  I have a 25amp brushed speed control from my failed attempt at R/C so All I need to know is what battery pack to use.  Any Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?  :)  
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
Re: Old Brushed Shoestring
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:09:13 AM »
If its a speed 400 type motor it would take around 7.4 volts. In the old days NiCad batteries could be connected directly to the motor with no speed control. They would then just run down and the plane would land with no damage to the battery. The battery could then be recharged. LiPOs wont stand a complete discharge so a speed control must be used.

Here are the dimensions of a speed 400 from the Hobbly Lobby Catalog:

SPEED 400 7.2V Electric Motor
For airplanes that weigh up to 25 oz., sailplanes to 45 oz. These are motors that consume from 35 to 75 Watts and about 6 to 10 Amps, have 2.3mm diameter prop shafts, are 27.6mm diameter, about 1-1/2" long, and weigh about 2.3 oz.

Alan Hahn

Re: Old Brushed Shoestring
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »
If I were in your shoes, I guess I would try and get a handle on the kV of the motor. There are two ways to do that.

1) If you have a tach, cutout a disk and mount it on the motor shaft. Then I'd use a D size Alkaline Cell and see how many rpm it takes. The kV would be rpm/battery volts (you should check what the voltage is under load).

2) If you have a drill press and a voltmeter , chuck up the motor shaft in and measure the voltage coming out of the motor. You still need a tach to figure out the rpm, but kV=volts out/rpm.

Then I am guessing that 6" prop needs to turn somewhere over 10k to fly the plane. I would then claim the battery you need will be ~80% *kV * pack voltage.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here