News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smoked AXI 2826/10  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Smoked AXI 2826/10
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »
OK guys today I was flying my ECL and had some problems.  ! # loss wire conection on timer plug got that fix then next flight was fine, then the next flight on take off the motor went up in smoke, bearing seams ok so it looks like the winding got a short.  Any Ideas on what I can replace the AXI 2826/10 with now that I have to get a new motor.  HB~> HB~> HB~>
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

Re: Smoked AXI 2826/10
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:29 AM »
Larry,
Of course I use the Scorpion line of motors, and I am sure one in the 3026 range or even 3020 range (with similar kV as your 2826-10) would work ok.

All that being said, it is unusual for a motor to fail by shorting out a turn---not impossible of course. You can take the motor apart (need to remove the circlip on the motor shaft as I recall on the Axi) and look it over. I would check the solder joint areas to see if there is any kind of abrasion on the shrink wrap. Also be careful when you pull the motor shell/shaft off the armature. It is easy to knock a magnet. Also putting it back, the field really wants to snap the two pieces back together and this could actually damage the bearings.

Even if you don't take it apart, you might check if you can detect a short to the armature (use a multimeter).

Since I am guessing the defect (assuming it is one) is just a (unlikely) luck of the draw, the easiest may just to replace the AXI with another---then the motor mounting will be exactly the same.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »
Also, is there any warranty on Axi's - be sure and check into that.  It may not be free, but you maybe get it repaired or replaced at a discount.

The Scorpions have very good support.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
Just wondering if a faulty ESC or Timer can cause a short to fried the motor?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:57:57 AM »
The motors are pretty robust and I am sure your timer is pretty innocent. The ESC might be able to short out to one winding.

But is the motor actually burned?? If it is I would consider as Mike said about seeing who does warrantee repair on it.

About the Scorpions, either a 3026-10 (kV=980 $70) or a 3020-14(kV=931 $60) would replace your AXI. I use the 3020 line since it is plenty of power for what I need (Nobler/Vector size planes) and is an ounce less in weight than the longer 3026. These may be slightly wider than the AXI, but you should check the spec sheet.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/index.php?cPath=21_25_38s

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
what is the glow equivilent of the scorpion you are using in your Nobler?  I'd like to get a motor for a profile Peacemaker that flew well on a .20 OS Max I.C. engine.  Which scorpion would be compatable with that?
Jim Jorgensen

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
what is the glow equivilent of the scorpion you are using in your Nobler?  I'd like to get a motor for a profile Peacemaker that flew well on a .20 OS Max I.C. engine.  Which scorpion would be compatable with that?

I would say one of the Scorpion 3014's would be what I would first suggest. On my SuperClown Arf I use a 3014-16 (kV=1250--I wound this one myself) and a 10-7 prop with a 3s2100 battery pack, and a Castle Creation Phoenix 25 setup in fixed rpm governor mode (~8500 rpm).

That combo would also work with a smaller 9-5 type prop at a higher rpm if you prefer the higher rpm mode.

I would say that the Scorpion 3020 is nominally equivalent to a 35-40 size stunt engine in terms of it plane hauling size. I plan to use one in my Vector ARC.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
How difficult is it to make one of the kits?  Do they give a novice adequate direction to successfully put one together?  I see they don't include the wire.  Is this easily obtainable?  Radio Shack perhaps?
Jim Jorgensen

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »
How difficult is it to make one of the kits?  Do they give a novice adequate direction to successfully put one together?  I see they don't include the wire.  Is this easily obtainable?  Radio Shack perhaps?

It isn't particularly difficult, but they really don't provide much information. Even though I bought the Scorpion kits first, I didn't wind them until after I had wound some smaller motors first. I relied on the Electric Forums of RCGroups
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php
especially the Motor design and construction forum. The small motor kits came from http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/
They provide some help. I would recommend the very simple (and cheap) GBv1 motor. It comes with wire.

Now all that being said, and that I really like fooling around with these motors, simply buying the Scorpion makes a lot of sense. You certainly don't save any money buying the kit--the stock motor comes with connectors and a prop collet (and prewound wire of course!), so by the time you buy the extra stuff that isn't in the kit, the kit ends up costing almost what the ready-to-go motor costs. And I have to admit, they have come out with more models with different winds (=kV), so there is almost no reason to wind yourself unless you want something really different or you just enjoy the challenge.

I ended up buying wire from http://www.alltronics.com/ . The shipping charge started out at $8, so I bought quite a few different gauges to amortise the total cost. The tricky part of winding is that you want to fill the stator with as much copper as possible, and you don't really know what gauge will do that with the number of turns you want. I have wire from 18 gauge to 28 gauge in increments of 1!. Yes it is obsessive--so I gave you fair warning! n~

With the 30xx Scorpions, I wired with the 19gauge wire for 16 turns. I could probably have made 18 turns with that gauge. Anymore turns would require a higher gauge wire.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »
One other thing to consider in regards to buying a finished motor or winding one yourself is that Scorpions are factory balanced and the one you wind will not be which could result in additional vibration which would lessen motor life.  Buy one finished and you get a better motor cheaper with all the accessories and it comes with a 2 year warranty!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
Crist,
Hey I may be unbalanced HB~>, but my motors are a-ok!

Alan

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
Hi Larry,

I'm sorry to hear about your smoking motor. It sounds like something may have happened when you had the wire problem? I'm coming up on 300 flights with mine without any problems. I think Will Moore has that many on his AXI. I have flown mine in cool light rain, and hot 102 F temps. Your event sounds like an anomaly. The suggestions made are all good. It would help all of us if we could find out what caused this.

You bring up a good point about the ESC. I would be hesitant to put a new motor into a system (ESC and wirering) that may have a problem. If you get a chance you may want to give Castle Creations a call and talk to one of their excellent tech's. They should be able to give you some ideas on the problem. You may want to see if you can send your ESC into them for a replacement or testing before you use it with a new motor.

I don't know where you bought your AXI, but they may exchange it for you? If you ordered it from Hobby Lobby they are very good to deal with and have a sharp tech dept. that may have some ideas for you.

Please keep us updated with anything you find out. My AXI has been "rode hard and put up wet" so I may replace it after it's 300 flight just as a precaution? We do it in FS planes, maybe we should do this in our models too?  :!

I look forward to seeing you at the Golden State Champs next week. I will be there on Fri. :-)

Warm Regards,
Rudy

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
Good News,

I'm pleased to report that Larry contacted Hobby Lobby about his AXI motor and they replaced it for him under warranty.  #^

In addition to being a very nice guy, Larry builds beautiful planes. His electric plane looks great in the air and with it's new motor it is very quiet.

We still don't know what happened to cause the problem with the old motor, but it is nice to know that Hobby Lobby stands behind the AXI motors. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
that is great news, poerhaps it is worth my time to contact them as well about my motor that lost its magnets, perhaps there is hope since it didnt have that many flights on it.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here