News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:39:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC for smaller motor  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC for smaller motor
« on: May 12, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
I need to do some testing with smaller motors. The largest I intend to test would be an E-Flite 10.

What ESC'S of appropriate size for that size motor are available with a CL option. I have numerous Phoenix 60's, and they drive the motor fine, but I don't want all that weight.

So what are people using in this size range?

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: ESC for smaller motor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
I would stick with what you know - AFAIK all of the castle Talon ESCs have the same capabilities (including C/L mode)

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/talon-2

Pat MacKenzie

MAAC 8177

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »
I sense a multi motor project, maybe another bomber 'B36'?...here's something to add to your adventure

CL flying has become nonexistent for me I have been experimenting with a variety of flying and surface contraptions mostly RF controlled. There were also a couple of programmed automation projects that could have made me a candidate for a Darwin Award (I digress).

My go-to ESC has been YEP form Hobbyking. They are lightweight, compact, flexible, robust and reliable. Suspect you would need 30 to 60A. Definitely need a programming card and tutorial on how to use it (no instructions included)
All functions you would want for C/L are there.

<https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=all+yep+esc>
<https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yep+programming+card+instructions>

Caveat Good luck plugging your timer into the RX port on programming card. (It could work) ??? Actually since the function of signal wire on RX or timer is essentially  the same it should work just fine.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:29:11 PM by ptg »
PT Granderson

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 02:29:50 PM »
I sense a multi motor project, maybe another bomber...

It's about the right size for a "stunt sized" twin, if eFlight's power rating is to be believed.

I vote for a semi-scale Douglas Y1B-7.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »
Hi Paul:

I used Phoenix 35 ESCs on my Second Wind twin. They worked fine, but they are no longer being produced by Castle (you can still find them on some RC sites). We tried the Talon ESCs and found some problems. Can't now remember just what those problems were (age again...), but I remember that we discarded hem for some reason. Perhaps with more testing they will prove to be okay.

I used the E-Flite Power 10 motors in the Second Wind, and they worked very well. I do think a smaller motor would have worked just as well, and my new twin will have smaller motors.

Later - Bob

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
If you want to use Igor’s autothrottle with it, you’d want one that responds rapidly to input changes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »
I called Castle and found that they still make the Talon series. But, they are out of stock. But new stock is coming in  by early June. Placed and order.

We will see how they work out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Vitalis Pilkionis

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »
Paul, I think there is no need to move away from Jeti. They have Jeti Pro series available in smaller sizes and 44 or 33 would be good option for your project.

Regards,
Vitalis P.

I called Castle and found that they still make the Talon series. But, they are out of stock. But new stock is coming in  by early June. Placed and order.

We will see how they work out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick_Huff

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »
I've been using the Talon 35's for my Pathfinder Twin as well as several of Saramarie's planes.  They work very well with E-flite 10 and Cobra 2814/16 sized motors.  There is an issue (which I think Bob mentioned) if you use Hubin Timers (or perhaps anyone's timers):  The rpm set point is very different from the actual rpm.  The actual rpm is usually 1000 to 3000 rpm below the set point.  I've tried all the different options in the Hubin timer set up and the "phoenix high rpm" is the closest, but is still way off.  In fact, if you're using a prop with a 5" pitch or less, you may not be able to set the rpm high enough to get proper lap times.  I have found that if you set your ESC to "set rpm" in the control line governor mode, then the rpm's will much more closely match the set point and allow for rpms that will work with lower pitched props.

Rick

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 07:52:20 AM »
Smaller Jeti ESCs are soon available, I have few of them in hands already, all of them with CL firmware like existing Spin66 we use now, means good adjusting of RPM range and quick reaction with active timers.

Weights are:
Spin 66 ... 56g
Spin 44 ... 46g
Spin 33 ... 33g
Spin 11 ... 14g

Spin 44 is OK for contraprops and twins instead of one 66 in single motor model. Some guys already tested, so instead of 2 spins 66 means weight 2x 56g= 112g we can use 2x 46g = 92g so it saves 20grams.

Spin 33 is only for max 5 cells, so it is for smaller models, or twins/contraprops with lower power - means motors with KV 800 and up

Spin 11 is for indoors - it was available also before, so nothing new.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 11:42:45 AM »
Is PTG back? That would be awesome.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
I tested a e-flite park 480 on a 9-7 prop, with a Talon 25 and FM-9 timer on my Flite-streak and got 90 mph. Current and temps as well as battery consumption were lower than expected.

Looks like a go for a bigger test before committing for the new project!

Thanks for the help.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »
I tested a e-flite park 480 on a 9-7 prop, with a Talon 25 and FM-9 timer on my Flite-streak and got 90 mph. Current and temps as well as battery consumption were lower than expected.

Looks like a go for a bigger test before committing for the new project!

Thanks for the help.

Sounds fun!  What size battery were you using for those tests?
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
Sounds fun!  What size battery were you using for those tests?

For the max speed flight, 900 mah. Only flew for 1.5 minutes.

For a full pattern, 2200...but it did a pattern at normal pattern speed for ~800 mah!

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
For the max speed flight, 900 mah. Only flew for 1.5 minutes.

For a full pattern, 2200...but it did a pattern at normal pattern speed for ~800 mah!

Thanks for the reply.  That's good data. 

At only 800mah of power usage for a full pattern on a basic 25-30oz Flite Streak size/weight plane, a person could likely be safe using a 4s1350mah TP battery and have plenty of margin(~40% left-over.)
Complete power package, motor/esc/battery around 8oz. 

Interesting to think if doubling this package would work for use in a larger twin.  16oz'ish total +/- for 2 complete, but separate power packages. 
I wonder if 2 Park 480's/Cobra 2808's, and two 4s/1350mah batteries would have enough oomph and mAh capacity for a 600-650" + stunter?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:33:54 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here