News:

• May 17, 2024, 07:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SMOKE & FIRE!  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Roger Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
SMOKE & FIRE!
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
Bad day at the ole flying field for me today.  When I started to take off on my second flight with the electric T-Rex today, there was a lot of smoke and a very loud squeeling noise.  I tried to nose the prop into the ground so we could shut the motor off but only suceeded in knocking the cowl off on the first try and the second try resulted in a line hanging up in the grass with the plane leaving the ground and turning in at me.  Fortunately, the motor stopped at that point and the plane fell several feet to the ground breaking the fuselage off just behind the wing.  There were a lot of flames and smoke pouring from the plane when trying to stop the motor but the wood did not catch on fire.  The Castle ICE-50 Lite ESC had completely melted and all of the wires had melted off of it.  There was smoke damage but no fire damage to the plane.  I only had about a dozen flights on this setup and things were going very well.  My brother Ron also had his Castle ICE-50 regular ESC burn up a couple of weeks ago.  I really don't have any idea why these ESCs failed but I am beginning to wonder if they are suited for our control line use.  I am using a Turnigy 42-50 650 kv motor on a Hubin FM-2a timer with a 4000 mah, 5S, 20C battery.  In all of the checks I have done on my computer, I have never seen an over voltage or over current condition on these ESCs.  Has anyone else had any experience with failed ESCs?  I am returning my Castle ICE-50 Lite ESC to Castle hopefully as warranty work but we will see.  My brother returned his and the sent him a refurbished unit at no charge but did not provide any answers or explainations.

My first flight of the day was excellent.  I was very pleased with my plane and setup but now I am not so sure and I may have to go back to the drawing board.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger Anderson

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
Re: SMOKE & FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Sounds like that 42-40 was drawing too much current.  They recommend a 60A ESC for that motor. Either that or the motor might have been binding?  Maybe you need a ICE 75?
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:13:08 AM »
Hello Roger,
Bummer.
The squealing noise is what is interesting. This strongly suggests that the motor was somehow mechanically jamming against the airframe, Shorting between windings internally, or that a bearing was seizing.
Any of these would cause a dramatic and sustained overcurrent condition. Everything else may simply be collateral damage.
Was the squealing at the same note as the ESC chopping frequency? Was it at some other note? The SHEFTSB investigators (Stunt Hangar Electric Flight Trans[portation Safety Board) need to know.
Were both failures using the same type motor?

Hope we can help,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »
Hey Dean,

My brothers ESC burned up three motors before it smoked itself.  All of those motors were smaller size Turnigy motors.  The squeeling sound that I am trying to describe was more like the motor went into excessive RPM.  I really can't judge if the frequency was similar to the ESC chop.  I have shared my experience with Castle and asked them for guidance.  I hope that they respond and can give me a bit more insight.  I also have a Castle ICE-75 ESC that I have used for most of my electric control line flying.  That ESC has performed quite well with no problems.  Going to the larger ESC may well be the correct answer.

Roger

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:28:16 AM »
On my electric bird, I used an inline watt meter and found that I was drawing 45 amps or better static. This with an AXI  motor turning a 12x6 E prop. The Trex is a MUCH larger airframe. did you do an amp check on this setup? I really dont think you were using enough ESC. I would have thought something more like the ICE 75 would be more appropriate, or a 60AMP setup at least. That just seems like a lot of airplane to fly on a 50 AMP ESC to me.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:41:20 AM »
Every motor resonanes at some rpm, this construction (bell fixed on shaft on only one side) resonates at relatively low rpm, for example AXI 2826 resonates somewhere at 10 000 - 11 000 rpm. Such a resonantion at longer time leads to destruction (magnets go to contact with stator), it can cause mistakes in commutation (fets opened to short circuit without back EFM), so if you fly longer time with resonating motor, it WILL burn ... could be seconds, or hours, but will ...

I think it was the reason, that sound is very chracteristic and loud.

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
Hi Guys, I have had this problem with Turinigy motors in dark side models,Usualy from being overproped, Just a thought, your problem may be different. Noel.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
I burnt up a Rimfire that was overloaded - its last statement was a screech.  I had another motor that ate one of the grub screws that lock the shaft to the case - it made an assortment of sounds until it died.

The Phoenix ESC's have a good history on durability and ability to sustain overloads..  The ICE series is newer so the history is still being written.  I think the motor fired then caused some kind of catastrophic meltdown of the ICE.

Just for jollies: did you ever take any of the data log info?  Do you have any data traces indicating what kind of power spikes you were seeing?   
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I did not save the data but I did record some of it.  The highest amps spiked on my records for this motor were 35.5 amps and the average was 25.7 amps.  These numbers should be well within the capability of a 50 amp ESC.  The resonance theory seems more reasonable but I really don't know yet if the battery, motor and/or timer were also damaged.  I have not had a chance to check these items yet but I will ASAP.  The motor leads were damaged so it will take a bit of effort to test the motor.  A visual look at the componets seems OK.  I can't detect any damage to the battery, timer or motor other than they are covered with smoke.  The motor turns freely and I can't see any damage to the windings of magnets.

Roger

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
Hmmm,  maybe you can pop the motor apart and look for evidence of magnet contact or similar as Igor described?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:53 AM »
Hi Gang,
The dying screech that Dennis described a few posts ago was likely caused by an internal short as a result of the overheating.
Internal shorts then lead to goofy scenarios like one of the three windings having, in effect, a much higher Kv than the other two. 
This causes ridiculous spike currents, screeching and sudden ESC failure. It could even shake the nose of the plane apart!
A good 4-terminal milli-Ohm meter can be used to compare all three windings to each other, but even this does not catch all internal short related failures.
I bought mine on Dovebid for $100, but new it would have been $1000, so this is not a normal shop tool.

The point of this is that failures like this can often be a string of cause and effect failures. The culprit may not be what you think ...
later,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
Roger,

I have been flying my ICE 50 in a EF-1 Pylon racer @ sustained over 50 amp operation with no failure.  I have run at over sustained 600 watts on 4S with no failures.  I have also run the ICE 50 with 6S @ around 800 watts with no failures.  There is no reason to need the ICE 75 for stunt.  The ICE 50 is more than capble of handling anything that we need to do.   

I would say that the motor started the cause, then the ESC for some reason went because of a short?  It should have cutoff for overcurrent limiting.  Do you have your setting saved?  I would be interested in seeing them if you have them.

Castle stands by their product, so I would say to make sure to describe what happened in detail and you should be able to get a replacement.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
Easiest way to find internal shorts is measuring no load current.

But still - it can be contact which apears only at some vibrations, so the best is to measure and compare data every flight, especially if it needs more mAh than usual, or if it goes hotter than before etc.

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was able to put the battery on the charger yesterday and it seems OK.  It was only down about 190 mah.  I did not write down what my settings were but I do remember how I had this plane setup.  I had it set on control line, fixed RPM at 8500 on all three settings and high power starts.  One thing I observed is the battery used for the first good flight that day used more power than on the previous few flights.  It used 200 to 300 mah more than it had been on previous fly days.  I don't really know but this could be an indicator of something that was going south.  I was able to get the ESC packaged and sent off to Castle today but still haven't had a chance to check out the motor and timer.  I need to do a little plane repair before I can go further that way now.  It will probably be a few days before I can get to it.

Roger

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
I received a replacement refurbished ICE-50 Lite ESC from Castle yesterday at no charge.  I also received an e-mail and telephone call from the folks at Castle.  Their opinion is that the failure was probably caused by the motor or battery but they can't be sure.  According to them, the ESC was not under sized or abused and should have been adequate for our use.  They said they have not done any testing on Turnigy motors or the brand battery I was running so they have no data on which to base any conclusions of reasonable guesses.   I repaired the T-Rex today and did a static test run using all of the same componets (except the ESC of course) and the package ran perfectly.  I will give her more extensiive practical testing by flying probably on Sunday.  At any rate, it seems I am back in business.  I can't say for sure what went wrong either, but all of the componets except the ESC were installed and work just fine.  I guess only time will tell.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger Anderson

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »
I flew three flights today and everything was great.  I still have no idea why the ESC melted down but everything is working well now.

Roger

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »
Definitely good news that you are flying again - but a head scratcher too.  You might want to get/keep a data log flight or two to use as a baseline.  I guess LITE #1 must have had some kind of flaw in its construction?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Ron Dodd

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
Have had this type issue with some of the Castle product myself...it seems to me that every once in a while a speed control is put together with a faulty component, and it fails...this is not peculiar to Castle Creations, it has happened to me with other brands too... Eflite, Turnigy, Hacker,... the only ones I have never had a failure with at one time or another through the last 17 years, are Jeti, and Astro Flight. I use speed controls from 10 to 120 Amp capacity, from 2 cells to 12 cells some with BEC, and some without.. so there's been a few go through my shop :-)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here