News:

• May 17, 2024, 08:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small glich in arming ESC  (Read 437 times)

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Small glich in arming ESC
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:53:15 AM »
Guy's
       I have one small problem on my new system,when I connect the battery I get 4 blips from the motor
and nothing else,the led on the Castle Phoenix flashes,I then disconnect the battery and reconnect straight
away and I get the 4 blips,a little tune from the motor and away it goes,this is repeatable,can any one offer
an explanation as to why this would be?
System
JMP2 timer
Castle Phoenix 45 ESC ( set RPM Mode )
Scorpion 3020-780 kv motor
Battery 2200 mah
Thanks
Paul Allen
Australia

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
Re: Small glich in arming ESC
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »
HI Paul - I think that if you get the 4 blips you are ready to press in the button
on the JMP timer hold it in for a count of 2. When you release the button the motor
should start , run up to max rpm then cut down to the idle speed you have set for
the time you have set for idle. Then it should start up to your takeoff speed RPM.
If you don't hold in the button long enough it will not work properly and your run time will be altered. (don't ask me how I know ). I am not sure why disconnecting
the battery and reconnecting works except it may be the same as pushing in the button and then releasing it (to the timer).

Sincerely, Walt Brownell

Alan Hahn

Re: Small glich in arming ESC
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
Paul,
The ESC "music" is telling you two things.
1) When You plug in the battery, it first tells you how many cells--the 4 blips in your case.
2) If it sees a zero throttle setting, then the ESC is armed--that is the second tune you (sometimes apparently) hear.

If you don't hear (2), it means either that the ESC isn't getting any pulses from the JMP2 (throttle disconnected), or that it is connected but the JMP-2 isn't giving a zero setting, but some other value. Without first seeing a "true" zero throttle setting (somewhere around a 50Hz, 1ms wide pulse (maybe a little longer), the ESC will refuse to send any power to the motor. This is a safety feature. When I run a RC model, I always set my throttle stick to roughly 1/2 throttle, so that when I plug in the power to the model, the ESC isn't armed. That allows me to put the transmitter neck strap on without having to worry about bumping the throttle. Once on, I lower the stick to zero throttle, then the ESC plays its "I armed and ready to go" tune, and then I move the throttle stick and away I go!

Normally the timer does those functions for you. It does sound like there is some issue with your JMP-2. I am not sure what unplugging and replugging in the battery is doing. I know if the JMP-2 thinks it has gone through a timing cycle, that it won't start a new cycle until it sees the power go off and then on again. Why it apparently thinks it has just finished a cycle when you plug in the first time (my conjecture), I don't know.

But when you say you plug it in again and it goes, I hope you don't mean that it automatically starts off and runs the motor without you not pushing the button! That wasn't clear to me from your post.

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Small glitch in arming ESC
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Alan
    By posting on the forum, I was hoping to give you a break from all my questions!
No I still have to press the button on the JMP2 for it to start.

Walt
     Understand the operation of the JMP2,just have this small glitch ( spelling corrected)
when the battery is connected,now I know what it does I can work around it for the time
being.

Thanks guy's
Paul Allen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here