News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow Charge?  (Read 719 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Slow Charge?
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 11:52:27 AM by Motorman »

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Slow Charge?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
Are you parallel Charging or charging one at a time. If both are in storage mode you can parallel charge them at 20 amps and probably knock the charging time to under 15 minutes total. If I remember right you have an I charger 306, That should handle the charging duties without any issues. I have power lab 8's and a Gt1200 I regularly charge ten 6s 2800's in under 20 minutes from storage mode. DO NOT CHARGE A SINGLE BATTERY AT MORE THAN 4-5C
AMA 98010

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
10 amps?  %^@  How many watts is your charger? I use a 300 watt charger and at 1c a 3000ma 4s will take about 25 minutes, but I have 4 batts so can fly pretty much all  day without having to wait to long in between flights.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 06:35:13 PM »
When you have a few minutes and are bored, watch your charger at those different charge modes: balance, fast charge and charge.  Notice that in all, you set the charge amperage and basic rate.  My understanding is that the difference is at the end of the cycle.  Chargers taper off the rate while topping off the battery.  Different modes use different length taper, and correspondingly fill the battery a little more or less.  On my charger, I can set the taper rate but most use set rates.  Some examples are C/3 for fast charge to C/10 or C/20 for a slow balance.  C = charge rate in this case.  For a charge from storage (basically a half charge compared to after flight) a large part of the time can be in taper balance, so if you don't need every last milliamp in the cell, fast charge.  If comfortably are above 20% after flight, then charge then fast charge.  You might get 1 or 2% less full, but if you have enough, that is not a bad thing for the battery, and is faster.

I try a faster taper to save time, and check the time vs regular charge.  That is my first preference over higher rate.  High rate may also hit peak before slow rate, and save some time at a couple less percent input, but high rates aren't great for the battery.  But time saved is flight time :-)

If you parallel charge, balance is somewhat poor unless the batteries are fairly well matched.  You are only balancing the batch of cells on each pin but you can get some high and some low.

But, as WD noted, higher rate will lower time, so fast charge at high rate if time is your priority.  Battery life cycles may be shorter.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 07:50:15 PM »
Manual page 15 describes regular charge and fast charge.  Regular charge terminates when the tapering charge rate goes to 1/10 of the set charge rate ( C/10 ) and fast charge terminated when the rate is C/5, so sooner.  Your can watch the charger and time how long it takes from full set charge rate just as it begins to drop to done.

The manual states that fast charge will take less time and give a slightly less than 100% charge.

Explanation here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1302431-What-does-charger-do-different-in-Fast-Charge-vs-Balance-Charge
Fred

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:10:47 PM »
Just for the record, I'm not doing anything crazy or dangerous when I charge my batteries, I'm starting in storage mode (about 50%-55%)I multiply the number of batteries by 6 and set each charger according to the number of batteries , if i have 10 packs i will go 3, 3, 4 on each charger then go 18, 18 and 24 for my rates on each charger for a total of 60 amps. This is pretty much putting my 24volt 72 amp power supply close to its max limit and each charger is at around 50% . Nothing is overloaded or pushed very hard(maybe the PS a little). The batteries are charged at barely over 2C so im not really going hard enough to possibly hurt their life cycle. Since i start at 50-55% I can get ten packs done in 18-22 minutes.. I'd have to check but I think my balance rate is C5 or C10, I know its not set too high and that helps speed it up.
AMA 98010

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 08:11:28 PM »
FWIW, 306B is 500 watts on 12 volts input, 1000W on 24 volts
MAAC 8177

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »
I'm not doing anything crazy or dangerous when I charge my batteries,

I never thought so, and hope that I didn't suggest that.  Great explanation on how you get 10 packs charged.  If I recall correctly, you use a PL8 and if so, you could do 6 packs at 6 amps each (6S and 25.2V) for 907.2 watts.  But, less stress on the chargers your way.
Fred

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 10:46:47 PM »
I never thought so, and hope that I didn't suggest that.  Great explanation on how you get 10 packs charged.  If I recall correctly, you use a PL8 and if so, you could do 6 packs at 6 amps each (6S and 25.2V) for 907.2 watts.  But, less stress on the chargers your way.
I use 2 PL8's and a GT1200. They all top out at 40 amp charge rate and over 1200 watts each
 . I could do it with 2 chargers and go 5+5 pushing each charger to 30 amps and get the same results.or like you said with 6 packs at 6 amps per battery and then 4 packs at 6 amps per battery. my biggest limit is my power supply. and my house current. I could install a 220 line but how much faster will i really be able to go. its not worth it to save 2-3 minutes and push my batteries that hard.
AMA 98010

Offline TDM

• Captain
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here