• May 09, 2024, 07:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silent  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Alberto Solera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Silent
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
Hello everybody, this is my first message here, although I've already learnt a lot from your words.
I'm from Madrid, Spain, and I'm 18 years old

Yesterday I made the first flight of my new model, it was supposed to be my model for the world champs, but the building took longer than expected, as usually
The model is based on the great Trivial Pursuit, my current ship, I only changed the fuselage to adapt it for electric power and made the wing, stab and rudder removable.

The power comes from an AXI 2826/10, a CC ice 50 and flightmax 4s 4000mah, controlled by the new JPaeromodels v2 timer.
For now I use an APC 12-6 E, but I will try the 13-4,5 EP as soon as they arrive.

I was able to fly a complete schedule at the second flight, with only minor trim issues, the motor worked perfect from the start, it is quite hot after flying, so i will install a fan just to be sure it won't smoke on a hot day.

Some pics

saludos  :)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Silent
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
That's just beautiful Alberto! Very nice job. Your craftsmanship is outstanding and it looks like you have incorporated some very sound engineering.

Keep up the great work! - Bob Hunt

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »
Very Very Cool Alberto!  How much does it weigh?
Matt Colan

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
Very pretty.  I like the colors. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
Very Nice!!!!! Good luck with it!!!
AMA 98010

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
Nice!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate your words.
It weights 1700g, about 60oz.

I have been flying it this morning, and it's getting better and better  :)

Bye!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Hello Alberto,
The model looks great.
Please let us help you a little: send some pictures of the motor bay, cooling air path and some explanation of how cooling air gets to the motor, ESC and battery. The use of a fan to cool the motor is far from ideal. The motor needs cooling air to be guided to it and around it, and the problem will go away. By the way, how hot is too hot? What are your post-flight battery temperatures?

Oh yes, there is an APC 12-6 E-pusher available as well.

gusto a encontrarte,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline TDM

• Captain
Paint
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »
That is looking great. I like elegant simple lines on a plane. However I think if you add some panel lies it would make it so much nicer. For example look at the Tsunami thread in this forum simple paint job but the panels lines define the plane and make it stand out.
Your wood work on the plane is gorgeous. Did you build it too?
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
Hello Alberto,
The model looks great.
Please let us help you a little: send some pictures of the motor bay, cooling air path and some explanation of how cooling air gets to the motor, ESC and battery. The use of a fan to cool the motor is far from ideal. The motor needs cooling air to be guided to it and around it, and the problem will go away. By the way, how hot is too hot? What are your post-flight battery temperatures?

Oh yes, there is an APC 12-6 E-pusher available as well.

gusto a encontrarte,
Dean P.

Hello Dean,
Here is a pic from the nose, the air goes in from the nose, as usual, direct to the esc, hidden under the battery support. I put also a piece of balsa to direct air to the motor. Later, the air goes around the battery and finally out through the holes of the battery support.

The battery is cool, and the the esc is ok also, only the motor seems to be on the small side, turning the 12-6 at about 9200rpm, but the next bigger AXI is far too heavy, thatīs why I thought the fan could be the way to go.
This is the fan I will install:

Here we have temperatures that reach 100f in summer, so I want to be sure, although I have been using other motors at similar temperatures without problems.

That is looking great. I like elegant simple lines on a plane. However I think if you add some panel lies it would make it so much nicer. For example look at the Tsunami thread in this forum simple paint job but the panels lines define the plane and make it stand out.
Your wood work on the plane is gorgeous. Did you build it too?

Hello, I am really bad painting, so I try to keep it simple, of course it could be better.
Yes, made everything, redesigned the fuselage, draw everything in cad, cut the pieces with a cnc mill, and finaly built it, I even made the fiberglass spinner  :)

Bye, and thanks!

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »
Alberto I think you have understood me wrong. Panel lines can be drawn on the fuse and wing with an ink pen. They are also named ink lines. The paint job is great I never said it was bad my friend.

Thanks for watching my tread.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
Donīt worry, i understood you, but ink is too similar to paint, i might end with a black plane  LL~

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:56:32 PM »
More questions, Alberto!
First let me make sure that I understand the arrangement.
1) Air comes in the bottom of the nose, and most of it goes under the battery mounting plate, and some of the air goes up in front of the plate, but behind the thin wooden wall behind the motor.
2) The air then goes above the wing into the back of the fuselage and,
3) It exits from a hole in the bottom of the fuselage behind the wing.
Is this right?
If so, then you have created a dead-air box around the motor. It should be very hot!
Why is there a wall behind the motor?
Please show me a picture taken directly from in front of the model. I am betting that you do not see the motor if you look directly at the model's nose.
A fan probably won't help. I think that you need to direct air up at the motor and to remove the wall behind the motor. A curved wall that takes the upper 1/3 of the intake and forces that air to blow on the motor will be good.
This is similar to what Bob H. and I first saw with the Genesis he flew in Vallodolid.

I hope this helps,
Dean

Dean Pappas

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 07:26:53 PM »
Looks Great!!!  How did you make wing removable? Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
I didn't explain very well maybe, under the battery plate there is a bulkhead, and all the air goes up to the engine, I put the wall to force the air also, but maybe I should improve it
The pictures will explain it better.

I made the wing removable with four bolts, from the underside of the wing, here yo can see more pictures:
http://www.miliamperios.com/foro/vuelo-circular-f29/proyecto-silent-electric-edition-t144188.html

thanks

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »
Alberto,
You didn't indicate what the current draw was, I have gone through a recent change in my set up that gave me a similar heat problem on a profile where the motor is pretty open to air flow. What I found was that with my AXI 2826-10 turning an APCE 12x5.75P it would draw around 42 amps static @ 9300 rpm. After a flight the motor was pretty warm (you could not grab it) compared to the original set up at 9000 rpm (@ 34 amps) and lap time @ 9300 was 4.9 sec (63.5' C to C) much faster than I wanted (I like this ship at 5.0 -5.1). I cut the prop to 11 1/2 x 5.75 and set the rpm to 9050 (actually set it for 9000 and it came out to 9050 ish). Lap time is now at 5.05 and battery is very cool, motor is warm to the touch close to were it was originally (difference is I'm flying a little more pitch to get a faster lap time, original was 5.2 sec).
I think Alan H has been using the full APCE 12x6 at around 8200 for 60' lines and drawing around 20 amps. Rpm seems to pull lots of amps and amps are heat.

Best,               DennisT

Offline Alberto Solera

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 03:10:57 AM »
Dennis, the average current in flight is 25A, and lap times are about 5.1s on 20m lines, about 65'.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here