News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Show us a picture of your nose -- battery mounting  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Show us a picture of your nose -- battery mounting
« on: January 05, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »
I'm trying to remember how the Rush/Cox/Resinger/Walker nexus mount batteries in their stunters.  All I can remember is that it's very clever, it involves plywood or maple rails and 3D printed brackets, and it allows for good control over where the battery ends up in the space, which means a consistent center of gravity.

Can folks please post pictures of how they mount batteries, perhaps with comments of what they liked and didn't like?

I'll start out with my "just don't do this" installation.  I like it because I was able to make it work in an existing fuselage; I don't like it because it depends on the Velcro straps not giving way, there's really no vertical adjustment, and it depends on friction for fore-aft location.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Show us a picture of your nose -- battery mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 12:45:56 PM »
These are out there already but here they are again:
Both use two things I use on all planes.  1. Velcro cable tie straps.  They don't slip like regular Velcro and allow you to really tighten the strap.  2. A tray that mounts to the fuselage that keeps the battery in position and allows for fore aft adjustment that locks in position.  Basically, the battery doesn't move.  I use bottom hatches.  A pain to flip the plane over but it keeps the fuselage sides intact.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 01:04:19 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 03:30:18 PM »
I've done several variations on battery installations. They all have their own set of benefits and problems. I am not a fan of top or bottom hatches as the battery has to sustain 10+ G's and the hatch or velcro has to hold it in. Velcro gets old and lets go. Outer side mounting, same thing. I like side loading batteries and good ventilation. The down side of the side load is it is hard to achieve a nice fitting hatch. I size the compartment small enough that a few small strips of foam either side of the battery keep it from flopping around. Some of my planes have velcro for this but they are older airplanes and I'm moving away from that. The down side of using foam is the air circulation in the battery compartment is hindered. Advantage goes to velcro in that regard. 
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 04:46:27 PM »
Velcro gets old and lets go.
I have been using Velcro (brand) wire bundle straps ("One Wrap Ties") for three years now and I have never had one even slip.  The tie is an over/under and grabs in two directions.  Regular Velcro can't be trusted to hold.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 07:04:00 PM »
Here is how I have a few of mine. Pretty much a copy of what Paul does for the battery mount anyway.
Hope that helps.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here