News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shop power for TP 610C charger  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shop power for TP 610C charger
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »
Has anyone come up with an inexpensive shop power supply (something besides the $110 Radio Shack 25A PS) for use with our chargers like the Thunder Power 610C? Since I will be charging in the shop it doesn't need to be complete in 10min, so will a simple 12V PB battery charger do charging at a lower amp rating?

Best,    Dennis

Alan Hahn

Re: Shop power for TP 610C charger
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
I wouldn't use a car battery charger---at least my AstroFLite 109 recommends against it. Here is what I use.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/158301.asp

Sometimes it goes on sale--I don't recall exactly what I paid for it --I think it was in the $50 range. (Actually I find more and more that I am getting "selective amnesia" on the costs of Electric Flying  n~ ).

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »
Hi Dennis,

It sounds like Alan has had good luck with his Pro Peak. Sadly, I did not. I bought one and it kept tripping my EFI and I could not get it to work. But, at $64 it is a bargin price.

The Radio shack power supplies must have gone up. Mine was only <$80 a year ago? It works great and is small and light weight.

After seeing my LV friends 12V power supply, I just had to have one! It is by far the best. I mentioned it here on another Post a few weeks ago. It is light, small, and it has THREE sets of female banana plugs so you can use three chargers at once. This last feature is nice because extra chargers give you more "Bang for the Buck" than an equivalent dollar value of extra batteries. I always use two chargers at the same time, sometimes three. This makes recharging at the field a breeze, and also at home in the shop. At $75 it is a very fair price for what you get. And the dual fans, and internal blue lighting adds a little "Cool" factor to the unit! ;-) ..... Here is the link:

http://sincityjets.com/store-accessories.htm

They also have the countdown talking timer I use. It is very useful for ECL, and I love the "Nicole Kidman" voice!!! :-)

PS: A cost effective alternative is to use a car battery at home and just recharge it as needed with your auto battery charger. But like Alan said, "don't" use the auto charger to directly power your LiPo chargers.

I have seen clubs, at two of our LV ERC contests, that plug an auto charger into our 110V outlet at the field, hook this up to a 12V auto battery on the ground, then run cables from the auto battery up to a charging rack on a table. This rack consists of a board that has two thin metal bars approx. 2' long on it, about 5" apart. Then everyone just sets their charger on the table and uses alligator clips to hook onto the pos and neg bars. I saw about 10 chargers at once working.  It looked strange, but seemed to work well. The auto battery was constantly being charged at a high rate so it kept working! I guess this 12V battery acted like a regulator for the "unclean" 12V auto charger? ..... This 12V auto battery does have the advantage that you can use it alone at the field to charge your batteries while you are flying. But they are heavy! ..... I think this is what Mike "Iron Man" Palko uses?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:41:46 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
Hi Alan,

I love your term Re ECL costs: "selective amnesia".  LL~

Your idea helps! ..... But we just need to keep reminding ourselves: "$20+ /gal. for glow fuel. I just paid $29/gal for PM YS 20/20 fuel at my LHS. And my guess is this will continue to go UP.  This still makes ECL cost effective. ..... At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  n~
Rudy
AMA 1667

Kim Doherty

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »
All,

Thanks for the information, I understand why the PB battery charger would not work. I check several local hobby shops but they had to order it and I wanted to get going this weekend so I went to Radio Shack and found they had a model 13.8VDC 15A Power Supply for $85 and bought it. It has a single outlet for banana plug connections or you can use "U" connectors. I made up a couple hookup wire sets for my TP610C Thunder Power charger with Deans plugs so I could have the banana clips for the bench and also switch out to the alligator clips for use with a 12V battery. The power supply works great.

Best,      Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:02 AM »
Dennis,
See, once you have it, the $$$ memories will soon fade.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
With the power supply working well I had a question about running more than one charger. The RS 13.8V power supply can supply up to 15A. Is it possible that I could set up a plug-in connector to allow two charges to be feed from the power supply? Seems pretty easy to do this by having two sets of leads off each banana clip or use "U" connectors to have the two lead sets plug in. Any suggestions?

Best,         Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
Picture of TP 610C and RS 13.8V, 15A power supply and hook-up wire sets.

Best,       Dennis

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 08:29:28 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Short answer:
YES, No problem with using two chargers off of your 15A RS power supply. Your right, any combo of connectors between your 15A PS and your 2 chargers will work.

Long answer option:  D>K
FWIW: Dennis I'm sure you will be careful, but for those new to E stuff that are reading this, it is worth noting that you should make sure that NO wire, or metal is exposed with your banana plugs, or other type of connectors. it is very easy to short something out. This becomes more important when you are hooking everything up when you are in a hurry. I'm so AR about it I bought a lot of "Noddle Wire" at my LHS (it is usually in the RC Car section) in Red, and in Black. This way it is easier to keep track of polarity when you have two or three chargers coming off of stacked plugs. And I use heat shrink right up to the ends so that everything is covered. ..... but, then again, I have seen some very "hairy" looking hookups that worked just fine!  HB~>

RE: your 15A output. I have charged three batteries at once on my 20A RS PS so my guess is that 2 on your 15A should work fine. I'm sure Alan and Dean can tell us how many amps it takes to drive the charger for our batteries. My "WAG" is that 150% of C1 should be a safe ROT?  n~ 

Sounds like you are getting very close to .... 3,2,1, push the button and launch!  y1
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »
I ran into a small problem with my TP 610C last week at the field. If you use a shop power supply then switch to a 12V battery for field charge you need to change the TP 610C voltage level from 12V for the power supply to 11V for the battery. If you leave the voltage at 12V and try to charge from the battery the charger will shut off on low voltage.

This is what happen to me last week at the field. At first thought the battery was low (I have a lead acid motorcycle battery I use for CI starter that should give 2 - 3 or so charges). Check the battery it was at full charge. I had previously tested charging from this battery at home and all went well because I followed the instructions and changed the voltage to 11. So check you charger instructions to see if your charger requires this change to charge from these sources.

I don't know what happens if you set the voltage for 11 and use the power supply.

Best,    Dennis

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
Hi Dennis,

If you reset your TP charger to 11V for the (supply) battery cutoff, you can just leave it there all the time. It does not hurt anything when you go back to using your home 12V power supply that is plugged into your home. .... I would be careful with this setting if you decide to use your car to charge your batteries at the field, you do want to get home don't you?  LL~

I agree with you that the 11V setting is worth doing for our field charging using smaller supply batteries. I have found that the 12V wheelchair batteries are very good for our use. Most MC batteries are a little small to drive the current through our 4.2 amp batteries for that 3rd charge. If you don't mind abusing your MC batteries, you can lower the cutoff V setting to 10V, but I think your 11V setting is a little safer. :-) .... BTW, the techs at TP use the 11V setting on their chargers and leave it there all the time, so you are in good company.

The techs at TP use a conservative ROT of 200% supply battery per C1 of the charging battery per charge. I use 3.2 amps per flight and like to get 3 charges from each of my 2 supply batteries. This means  3.2 x 200% x 3 = 19.2 Amps for my supply battery. My two 23 Amp batteries give me 3 charges ea. (I can get 4 charges, but sometimes I have to push the charger toward the end to get it done.) The 3 charges ea. allows me more ECL and ERC flights than I can fly in one session. You will understand why when you get "old" some day! n~

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:23:19 PM »
Used the TP 610C on the home power supply and left the voltage set for 11V (same as recommended for charging from a DC12V battery), charger worked fine only difference I noticed was that the full charge on the A123 3s2p pack which when I set the PS to 12V would charge to 10.95V  now charged to 10.89V. This is still full charge since the full charge rating is 3.4V per cell total for this pack is 10.2V. I assume the difference is because of the lower voltage setting but that the pack is still fully charged since the voltage drops to the full charge level very quick. Have I got it right?

Best,         Dennis

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »
Hi Dennis,

YES, you do. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667