News:

• May 12, 2024, 10:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SHOCKING the Oriental  (Read 25337 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SHOCKING the Oriental
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »
Thierry,
At least how my CC ESC works, the power to the motor is turned off, but not the power to the receiver (or timer in the case of CL). I don't think the JMP-2 would rearm the ESC except at the end of the flight when the JMP-2 blips the throttle.

Of course I may have misunderstood you.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I just took delivery of an ARC Brodak Oriental that I plan to convert to electric. I'm wondering if there are any recent (in the last year of so) data that I should be aware of before I invest in a new motor for this plane. I reckoned that an ARC would easier to modify than an ARF (of course I have too many projects going right now but so what) but any advice on modifying the bell crank/lead outs (the eyelets look like crap) control horns etc. will help. I am definitely not using the hinges supplied but rather going with pinned DuBro hinges (or some such}. I plan to remove the motor mount and will try to use the firewall to for a radial mount (depends on the motor I use). I have an ICE 50 ESC but will need a suitable motor (I'm thinking a Turnigy of a suitable size) and battery -- most likely a 4S since my charger will not charge 5S batteries (Cellpro Rvolution 4S). I'll use a Will Hubin timer with a remote switch and some kind of a Kill Switch (modified Deans plug perhaps).

I know that there are some Oriental listings in the "List your Setup" so I'm wondering if there are others not yet listed and any modifications that would help.

Any advise will be appreciated.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
John

I just finished an Oriental arf electric a couple of weeks ago.  I went to school on John Paris' glow oriental profile which he was very competitive in Advanced and now Expert in. He really liked the performance and I have watched it fly a number of times and been impressed. With an Evo .36 it is 48 ounces dry, 52 ounces ready to launch.

Dennis writes up the one he did here and as you note there have been a lot of electrons thru his planes since he did it. . His nephew now has it and has flown it a lot and refined it a good bit. He reports it a very good flier as well and can report on his setup.

Mine also flies extremely well. I was very surprised. It corners very pretty well, exits maneuvers dead flat without any waiver and is very stable. I powered mine with a Turnigy 3536 SK at 910 kv. I would not recommend a non SK motor from Turnigy. The SK's have larger bearings and I have had failures of non SK turnigy motors in stunt applications. Rick Sawicki and Dennis both also have used this motor in light weight applications. I most usually use a 2826/12 axi in my stunters but neither the power nor the weight of the axi was called for in this project. Rick had repowered a 2826 axi powered Geiske Nobler last year with the 3526SK and it came alive at the weight change. As a comparison I fly a T-rex with authority on a 2826/12 with a 12X6EP prop on 4S. It has a lot of guts. But the Oriental is a much smaller plane. It doesn't need the power.  I use a phoenix 45 esc (again to drop weight) and 4S aerowind 2800 mah packs. I am currently turning an apc 10x5E prop a bit north of 11K rpm on 63 ft lines to yield 5.25 sec laps. Draw is under 1900 mah per flight and everything is cool temp wise. My ready to launch weight is 49 ounces so I am considerably under the flying weight of the glow version. I used the stock bellcrank and leadouts and stock horns. The flap pushrod is stock and the elevator pushrod is carbon fiber with ball joints at each end. I used carbon fiber gear. The motor mount is Rick Sawicki's design, the details are in my T-Rex build thread on this forum.  I do use CA hinges. Have used them in everything less than .60 size ships for the last 6 years and will not go back. If I were going to do any more .60 size ships I would use them there too, but I'm going to stay T-Rex size and smaller. I have had a strega electric but have found T-Rex outflies it by such a large margin I can't make sense of flying that size any longer. My personal preferences your milage may differ. I have not found any of the truisms about CA hinges to be true. Again, just my experience. Since returning to modeling both RC and CL 7 years ago I have used traditional kleet/dubro hinges and CA both in RC and CL. Only hinge failures I have had are pin type. Never once a CA one. Never saw a CA one fail on RC at our club even when done wrong.  But again that is one of those opinion things. We all can have our own.  

Anyway, its a power system that works well in the bird. I have the ground clearance for larger props because I fly on a rough grass field at home. Could go to 12 inches if I wanted but at 910 kv would not want to and can't find a need to with the bird so far. Have fun. Its a great flier!

bob branch

(edited for motor model number noted in next two posts - branch)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:30:15 AM by bob branch »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 04:11:22 AM »
I think Bob MEANT to say he used a Tunigy SK 35-36 (not 35-26).  Note For motors that use intenal dimensions (Arrowind, Axi, Red Rock, Scorpion) the equivalent size would be around a 2815.

The Oriental that was the source of this thread has since flown with many different motors, ESC's & batties, with and without an external data recorder and at RTF weight from 46-52 oz.  It has been a real workhorse for us - and a very nice flying airplane all & all.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 04:20:58 AM »
Thanks Dennis you are right, 3536 SK.  H^^

bob

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
Thanks to all,

I have a Turnigy 3536 SK 910KV on order and a couple of batteries. I was surprised that the 3536 SK was under $17 (plus shipping $14.95 for all) so I happy about that. I will try the CA hinges after all and see how that goes but I will replace the lead out eyelets and their attachment to the bell crank. The eyelets were actually corroding which does not give me a lot of confidence about the lead outs. I'll have to wait until I have the motor and battery in hand before I can work on their positioning/mounting so we are on hold for now.

Thanks again for the advise.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
I'm going to resurrect this thread, as I have an ARF Oriental on the way, and, much to a old flying buddy's chagrin, I am NOT going to put a glo engine in it!!
I have a 3020-950kv Exceed Rocket motor (360w rating)that I hope to employ for the O, unless you all think it won't work.
Plan a 4S 2500 pack, 10x5 prop, and could use advice on governors and timers. I'm considering the KR timer, since I think there is a slight chance of the prop being stopped suddenly (hey, you never know, right??!), and I hear it offers ESC protection in that unplanned event

The big "concern" for me is figuring out what the best way is to-
1. Mount the motor- Front mount seems preferred and makes sense to me, but pics say radial rear would be simpler.
2. Easy battery securing, change out, and ventilation.
3. Correct CG. I read two things-
    a) Battery centered on wing LE.
    b) 1" cut out of wing LE in fuse.

I know darn well the battery isn't 2" long, so that doesn't jive in my pea brain....I'm thinking maybe the first one was with a heavier motor??

I should add the disclaimer that I DO NOT have the plane in hand, so maybe some of these concerns are going to have obvious solutions when I get it, but any advise, heads-up, or other do's or dont's from those that have been there, and done that, would be REALLY appreciated.

I posted in this old thread as it seems to have the most pictures of install (thanks Archie!), and I likely will add my own as well here when I get rolling.

What say ye?

Regards,
Chris Behm
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »
Chris,
I have a Rocket 3020 in my ARF oriental.. It weights about 51 ozs with a zippy compact 4S 2700mah. Here are some pictures of how I mounted the motor.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks Joseph!
How coincidental that you have the same motor in your bird.
I really appreciate the pictures, it looks like there is plenty of room in there for the components.

Are you running the 860Kv motor? I blew up the one pic, and that is what it looks like to me.
I wonder how my 950Kv will work out on 4S?
Are you running a 10x5 or a larger diameter prop?

Any other gotcha's you think I could use besides what is mentioned in this thread (like the checking for secure mounting of the main gear, etc).

Thanks for the pics, perfect!

Kind Regards,
Chris B
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
Chris,
It is a 860kv motor and I ran a 11x5.5 apc on it. I will attach some more pictures tomorrow to show how the battery is mounted.  I had to add 3/4 of an ounce to the tail to get the balance right and increase the elevator throw to get it to turn better.
Joe

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »
Thanks Joseph.
From what I have read in this thread and others about the Oriental, it sounds like this plane prefers and turns better with a 10" prop.
That being said, I'll not worry too much about it, and maybe the 950kv I have will work well anyway then. #^

I appreciate all the pics, I know it is a pain, but they are very helpful, and will be to others as well I believe.

Kind Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
Chris,
I attached some more pictures. The mount is 2 pieces of .062" aluminum angle, the top one is 1/2 by 1/2 and the bottom one is 3/4 by 1/2.

Joe

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
Thanks again for the pictures, Joseph!

I am wondering if you have much vibration with the back wall style mounting? I'm inclined to think a front mount would be better from a vibration standpoint. Maybe I am over thinking it? Lots of RC folks use this same style of mounting, and it is clearly easier to execute. I like the way the original engine rails are used.

My ARF "O" should be arriving today, too bad I won't make it home until Saturday! ::)

Thanks for the battery compartment pics too!

Kind Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:27 AM »
Chris,
I have mounted them both ways and I haven't felt a difference in vibration either way.
Joe

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »
Cool seeing this old thread resurrected.

The Oriental that started this thread was originally built with a front mount, then changed to a rear mount that made it easier to try at least 5 different motors.  The "mule" also used at least a 1/2 dozen size props, 4 different ESC's 3-4 different batteries and two timers.  It was also flown with & without an Eagle Tree data logger.  We learned LOTS from this bird

Unfortunately it was crashed before we got around to the pusher prop...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
It would be interesting to know how many bearing failures happend to rear mount vs front mount motors if any.?

Warren

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
I think that at least initially, I'll opt for the back mount and go from there.
In theory, if either the motor or prop is slightly off balance, I would think a front mounting would help keep it under control.
We can balance the props, less likely to do the right thing with a lopping motor (me, anyway).

I'll hope for the best.

Using to start-
Exceed 3020-950,
4S @ 2500 Lipo's,
10x5 APC E prop
ESC-TBD, thinking CC Ice Lite 50A
Timer- TBD...

I can't wait to get home and open the box with the O'....

Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 03:55:56 AM »
It would be interesting to know how many bearing failures happend to rear mount vs front mount motors if any.?

Warren

Bearing failures I recall reading about were with longish motors (2826) turning 12" or larger props.  I think for 11" or smaller (like we would want to use on an Oriental) the motors are short/stiff enough and the props light enough that bearing failures due to loading are not much of a concern.

When it comes to bearing failures a bigger concern is the quality of the bearings that the motor was built with.  There have been lists published on some of the RC boards showing that all the outrunner brands some from just a few factories.  Thus, I believe that pretty much EVERY outrunner could be improved by replacing the original equipment bearings with a set of replacements from Boca.   
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »
Good to know, thank you Dennis! H^^
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »
Bearing failures I recall reading about were with longish motors (2826) turning 12" or larger props.  I think for 11" or smaller (like we would want to use on an Oriental) the motors are short/stiff enough and the props light enough that bearing failures due to loading are not much of a concern.

When it comes to bearing failures a bigger concern is the quality of the bearings that the motor was built with.  There have been lists published on some of the RC boards showing that all the outrunner brands some from just a few factories.  Thus, I believe that pretty much EVERY outrunner could be improved by replacing the original equipment bearings with a set of replacements from Boca.   

Interesting, it has been a topic of discussion for a while. It seems like most of the motors just need good bearings but to say one is better than the other is not as important like it is in ic. I have used E-Flight now for 3 years and I am still on my original bearings, I have told a few people this and they dont believe it. The coment was that E-Flight motors eat bearings, I havent seen it yet. I have also switched to using the G series motors from Hobbyking and so far they have been every bit as good as the E-Flight and they are 1/4 of the cost. Here is where it gets interesting, the people I have discussed this with and made the bearing comments rear mount thier motors and I front mount. I am thinking of trying one of my E-Flight motors as a rear mount and see how long the bearings do last.
Definitely has me thinking.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »
I'm a little late getting here. (I was also on vacation), but the 860 version or the 950 version are both fine. Pick one and use it. Those motors are very happy with the 11x5.5 APC thin electric pusher props on them. They are 3 bearing motors and most guys here are rear mounting them. A standard set of cheep e-bay bearings cost about $5 for that motor and some guys here have over 100 flights on the stock bearings. Like I've said a few times before Its a $20 motor don't get too hung up on the bearings. At 100 flights replace them and make the motor new again(Glow plugs usually don't last 100 flights and they cost around $5 these days) or toss the motor when they actually fail and buy a new one. Some guys here are pulling 50-53 ounce Caprice sized planes with those motors so they work for similar sized planes.
AMA 98010

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
That's interesting input, Horby, thank you.
Just looking at front vs rear mounted motors, with no engineering schooling, it is pretty apparent to me that front mounted motors should be less likely to vibrate. Of course, good prop balance will help either method, but I'd think especially so the back mounted arrangement.
If front mount looks easy enough to do, I will. If not....

And thanks William for your input. I guess I should be more interested in getting the darned thing flying than optimizing the installation, or at least equal parts!
I'll forge ahead. I'm off to the post office to mail a check for a kit, then back into the shop to add trim to the unmaidened Sig Banshee, and look at the Oriental E power install.
I appreciate all the help, gents.
As mentioned by Denny, this is a relatively short motor and I'm planning on using a 10" prop, so I should be OK.
New built kits or plans built I will intend to front mount with the motor behind a bulkhead.

Have a great weekend gents.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:14:33 AM by Chris Behm »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
A local sun bird from Wisconsin showed up to our flying site recently with and Arftrick Oriental....with a Power 15, 4 cell. It had tons of static thrust at launch. It had been modified slightly in the rudder section but actually presented better with a 62 Ares rudder/fin. I was impressed.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »
Got a little bit done today on the Oriental.
Added bearings to the stock control horn for at least the flaps, especially since it looks like I'll be encouraging twist with the linkage that I have chosen.
I used CF tubing that has an ID slightly bigger than the 3/32" wire, and split it, glued it back and the used spectra to bind it with a little thin CA wet out.
These will get bonded and glassed to the wing TE.
Fab'd some motor mounts. Will bolt in at a later date.
I'd like to have the ESC (went with a ZTW and KR timer from RSM Dist) in the compartment above the battery (Tank Comp), but not sure its worth opening that, and also access might not be great there.
Thoughts?
Still ahead is beefing up the LG area.

Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

I will use the normally sealed compartment above the "tank" compartment for the ESC and KR timer.
The battery will reside below that, in the normally "tank" compartment.

Each of these two areas will get its own inlet and outlet for air.
I have not yet decided if I will separate them with some 1/64 ply or not.
I might have to do a test run with and without, my guess is that most of the heat will be from the battery, and I might try to keep the ESC a little cooler if I can.

I added scoops to the cowl. This should keep the motor cool.

The outlets are a huge vent on the tank (battery) compartment hatch, and some cute little "exhaust pipes" above the engine beams for the ESC
Pics of progress.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:38:24 PM by Chris Behm »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
A few more pics.
Scoops in cowl top and bottom, installed individually, since I didn't want the cowl to deform.
Black color is through the layup, can't scrape off...
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »
I tried to be creative and made some mock engine exhausts that serve as outlet vents for the ESC compartment...I know, its kinda far back for a V engine! Oh well.
Pics tell the story.
I will "run" the engine by marking the inside of those exhaust pipes black with a felt marker before the maiden, I promise.

Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
Nice Chris!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Thanks Crist-
Coming from a craftsman such as yourself, this is a nice compliment! ;D

I'm looking forward to completing this plane and getting it in the air. I fly with a group that is pro glo power, I'm sure I will be getting some ribbing from them. However coming from RC sailplanes, E-power in C/L is a much more natural selection, and I won't have to become a motorhead.
That being said, last weekend I re-attained a couple of my old 1/2a C/L planes from 20 years ago that I had donated to a friend for his kids (which of course they never flew). Even scored a NIB .049 Medallion that he'd bought, and got back an old .19 Torpedo Green head, which I had never run.

Hope to work on the Oriental a bit more this weekend! #^
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »
Chris
Your Oriental looks really good.  Looks like a good clean installation and you should have good access for service, etc.  I always thought the nosecone style cowl on the Oriental was a natural for E-power, and your added scoops & such make it that much better.

I also like the PIIIIIIPES!   CLP**
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 10:26:10 AM »
Thanks, Dennis!

I have a few more pics of progress.
At this point I have figured out the tank compartment installation, and the wing and tail are now glued on with CA, to be epoxied and a fillet added next. She's nearing completion! I'm a wee bit excited.

Pics of the tank area and above for the ESC. I made an extension for the KR timer. I wanted to be able to unplug the switch, and plug in the programmer, without digging out the timer from below(inverted) the battery tray. A "peep-hole" allows me to count the flashes with the battery not secured. I took the picture of the tray before this was drilled.

There will be a patch of velcro at the back of the tank compartment to keep the aft end of the battery from shifting. I might also tack a foam block on the outboard side of the fuse for it to rest on during flight.

I think this will work!

R,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:31:29 PM by Chris Behm »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
I'm almost complete!
I have a question though---

Is it just me, or is the canopy on this plane a little over sized?! It's 9", and to me looks like a 7" would "fit better" visually...
The width is very nearly as wide as the fuse itself!
Maybe I got the wrong one included with my particular kit?
Any opinions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:05:14 PM by Chris Behm »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »
Here is the battery inside the tank compartment.

Two different brands of batteries-
Hyperion 4S2800 HV(4.35V/cell)30C/60C----$42.95, free shipping over $100, 2 days transit.
260 grams.

Thunder Power 4S2700 (4.2V/cell)25C/50C---$54.92, $13 shipping from Atlanta, GA, backordered for 3 weeks. Second order cancelled.
255 grams

Guess which battery is likely to be my go-to now?

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
Chris,
It is a 860kv motor and I ran a 11x5.5 apc on it. I will attach some more pictures tomorrow to show how the battery is mounted.  I had to add 3/4 of an ounce to the tail to get the balance right and increase the elevator throw to get it to turn better.
Joe
Hi, Joe-

The maiden will be this Friday, I'm happy to say. Thanks for posting all the pictures. If I could ask for one more favor, it would be to find out where your CG is.... I glued in a partition aft of the wheel mount, and can open the fuse floor to add tail weight if needed.

I think I should have trusted my feelings and opened the fuse bulkhead, and notched out the wing center LE, to allow the battery to come back another inch or so. Next time!
I'm at 47oz, but no canopy, tip weight, tail weight, or prop... Maybe the same 49oz?

Thanks Joe/all.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »
Chris,
I have mine balanced at 6" from the trailing edge and I think it would corner better if it were further back like 5 3/4". But 6 should be a good starting point. I had the add 3/4 of an once on mine to get it to 6".
Hope that helps,
Joe

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2015, 11:48:14 PM »
Am I correct to assume 6" from the wing hinge line? I hope so.
Thanks,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2015, 04:37:26 AM »
Correct

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
Thanks Joe.
I'm 90% certain I'm ahead of that, I'll check tonight when I get home and before maiden Friday.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
I flew the maiden flight of the Oriental yesterday and I am happy to report it all seemed to work well!
The wing has a substantial twist to it, and the direction was safe (rolling out), so it pulled like a mule, but flew very outboard tip down, and inboard tip down inverted. The gun and some cranking should get that sorted.

The powertrain worked perfectly. I'm very happy with that. After tweaks to the prop and motor speed, I had flown 2 one minute flights and a 2m30s flight on the TP ProLite 2700. That battery took 1108ma.
The last two flights were 2m30s each on the Hyperion HV2800 (rated at 2500 at regular voltage, and that's where I'm running it), and it took 1583ma. About 316ma/minute. So, I'm looking at 70% discharge for a 5m30-5m45s flight. I'm pretty happy about that. Average amp draw is 18.9x amps, that seems pretty reasonable.

The plane is pretty nose heavy, and the motor is not heavy. If I were to build out another ARF like this, I would definitely look towards cutting into the wing LE and making a tunnel through the fuse bulkhead at the wing LE to get the battery back some. I knew I should have done that, I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't trust my instincts building this. Oh well, next time. I'm not going to look back.

For this particular model, yesterday I hogged out some of the I/C engine bearers, and also cut open my compartment behind the tail wheel mount and put 3/4oz in there. That should help with the CG.
It might need more, I haven't measured it yet. I will work on the wing twist and try to get that worked out, otherwise the CG will be of little consequence.

I have a couple other odds and ends to do. Bush the main wheels, add the canopy, decals, etc. Its definitely a pretty plane and I can get used to not having to clean castor off of the plane! The control system is very smooth and free, I'm happy with my install as this is only my second build. And since I revamped the entire control system, I think it was worth it if I can get the warp out of the wing. It should last longer than the plane does. Learning is fun.

All in all, the ARF is a beautiful model, and a great value. I would probably try to find an ARC instead next time, just because with all the mods that I would make, its hard to keep the model pristine. Better to cover it after all is done I think, and to also have a unique looking model. Still, a great value!
I'm looking forward to flying this a lot, it should be a lot of fun.

Thanks to Joe and others along the way for all the pointers. #^
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
So on my last outing to the field, I was really looking forward to getting in more flights on the "O"....
But.....

I somehow left my prop nut at home (with my spare!) and was not able to fly it.
I have tried to straighten the wing, I think I'm close.
I added the spinner (and nut), and also lightened the nose a bit by grinding the original engine bearers.
I added 3/4 oz to my make shift tail weight box.
I also made the tank (battery) compartment tool-less entry, for quick and easy access to the battery packs.

Still no canopy mounted though!

I look forward trying these mods this Friday.

It had BETTER NOT rain! ~^

Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
Another happy and successful outting with the Or Eee Ental....

We have the wing ALMOST straight now, just ever so slightly tip down....
I took off the training wheel time of 2m30s and instead set the timer to 5m30s so that my veteran flying buddy could run a full pattern with it.
He's a hard core glow fuel guy, and guess what? He LOVES the way the plane flies and corners. He gets a big kick out of hearing the "boost" from the timer after a hard corner on the square maneuvers. He's all smiles.

The plane pulls really hard. So far we have worked on straightening the wing, and added some tail weight to get the CG back a bit. I have 3/4oz back there, and with the 2500/2700 4S packs, its still a bit nose heavy.
It also has some slight hinging tendencies in the square corners, and once we get the wing flat upright and inverted we will see about moving the leadouts forward a bit. I have lessened the motor thrust to about 1.5 degrees, and its still pulls well in the overheads.

I'm replacing 1650ma to the pack after a full pattern on a 5m30s flight. Because of this economy (18a average draw), I might try a Thunder Power 2100 pack. Its about 2oz lighter and I might be able to pull that tail weight out too?
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,40577.0.html

Anyhow, enjoying the plane and the next conversion would be a snap for me I think. Thanks for all the help.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Hi Chris

I have enjoyed reading your posts regarding the E Powered Oriental.  I have been flying an electric powered Oriental since May 2014 and have had success in a number of contests since then.  I believe John Sunderland's post of April 2015 is describing my flying the Oriental last Feb and March at Esteban Park in Phoenix, AZ.

My setup is as follows:
E Flite 15
Castle Ice Lite 50
Hubin Timer
G Force 2600 Mah 40 C battery
Flying weight is 49 oz
Lap Speed is 5.5 on 62 foot lines

I don't miss the need to clean gunk off of the plane after every flight.  It starts every time and I don't need to worry about needle settings or lean runs.

Peter Mick
AMA 9581
Cedarburg Wisconsin

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »
Great info, Peter...
My C/L mentor thinks we need to slow down the oriental also, and we have about a 5.0 second lap on 60' lines.
What prop are you turning? I think I have a 10x5 APC tractor on mine. I may take a few turns off of it, or maybe try a 10x4.5 wood prop.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »
Chris,

The lap time I listed was incorrect, it should have said 5.05 seconds.  I don't find that excessively fast.  The prop I an using is an APC 11.5 P running clockwise when viewed from in front of the plane.

Pete

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
Wow, you are running an 11x5 pusher, I'll have to check the Kv on that 15 motor you're running. It is likely a bit lower kv than mine I would guess. And I'm assuming you're running a 4s pack.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
Chris,

The KV on the E Flite 15 is 950 KV.  The battery is a 4 cell 2600 mah.  After a 5 minute 30 sec flite the batteries read at 20% charge.

Pete

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »
Thanks Peter-

That's all very similar to what I have, although you are drawing more amperage with the 11" prop.
My motor is 950kv, I'm running a pair of 4S Hyperion 2500's and a pair of Thunder Power 4s ProLite 2700's, but I'm only putting back in about 1650ma after a 5m30s flight.
That's on a 10x5 prop.
In fact, I might drop down to the next size battery to save some grams up front, along with a smaller ESC. I think I might be able to get the 3/4oz weight out of the tail then, and maybe save @3 oz total. Then I would be in at 45oz.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here