News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shaft Realignment on Cobra 3520  (Read 537 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shaft Realignment on Cobra 3520
« on: April 16, 2019, 09:39:54 AM »
I recently had my Cobra 3520 bounce off of the pavement on it's way to hiding in the weeds and it appears that the shaft has been pushed in a bit. ~^   Having never done this on one of these motors, is there any precautions I need to take before seating it on it's front bearings and "pounding" it back into it's proper position. ???   I assume that you don't heat the case like it was IC. LL~         The motor runs OK and the shaft is not bent.

Also, does anybody know where to get a 4 hole prop adapter for the 3520?  I find it really strange that they use a 4 hole can and give you a 3 hole adapter.  Maybe they are subtly encouraging you to use a front mount?  I understand that they were originally 3 hole but...damn. HB~>

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Shaft Realignment on Cobra 3520
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »
Ken,
Use an arbor press or a drill press to press it back to position. Is the clip still in the front? Also don’t forget to put locktite on the set screws.
The early version had 3 hole and the newer version went to 4. You can get them from Cobra. If not I have one I can send you.
Thanks
Joe

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Ken,
Use an arbor press or a drill press to press it back to position. Is the clip still in the front? Also don’t forget to put locktite on the set screws.
The early version had 3 hole and the newer version went to 4. You can get them from Cobra. If not I have one I can send you.
Thanks
Joe
Thanks - that is what I was hoping to hear.  I have a message in to Cobra so I doubt that I will need yours but thanks for the offer.  The clip is still there.  You mentioned the set "screws"  The only place I have for a set screw is on the rear exposure of the shaft.  Is there another one I am missing?  Have you ever added a support for the rear bearing?  I want to try.  I have a rather slim nose and I really worry about ramp up torque over time.  I think a "sway bar" in the rear would really help.  I see two ways that can be done.  I could remove the set screw from the keeper and let it be the race or build a race around the keeper or just leave it alone because that is a bad idea.  Unbelievable power in these tiny motors!

Thanks Again - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:48:56 AM »
Helpful videos here from Lucien at Innov8tive RC.  He shows Scorpian motors in some of the videos, but similar to Cobra.  The press needed is 1 ton, not the half ton, and available from HF.  I would be concerned about the magnets getting loose, and case deformity. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Innov8tive8

Shafts and bearing are fairly inexpensive from Innov8tive RC or from RC Dude.  Adapters should be available as well?

Fred

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:53:25 AM »
Ken,
The set screws are on the back of the motor if you front mount them.  (the black end!, not the green end!) there should be 2 90 degrees apart. The shaft has machined flats on it that line up with the holes.
Hope that helps
Joe

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
Ken,
The set screws are on the back of the motor if you front mount them.  (the black end!, not the green end!) there should be 2 90 degrees apart. The shaft has machined flats on it that line up with the holes.
Hope that helps
Joe
Outside of the Can?  The black ring that I have only has one set screw hole and it came w/o a screw but whet the hell, the prop adapter is short one hole.  Maybe the accessory bag at Cobra was filled by someone trying to get out the door at 5:00!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:34:53 PM »
Ken,
You are right, I had to go downstairs and look. The newer version has only one set screw. The older version has two. See pictures.
PS there should be a screw in there or the shaft will come out! Don’t ask how I know.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Ken,
You are right, I had to go downstairs and look. The newer version has only one set screw. The older version has two. See pictures.
PS there should be a screw in there or the shaft will come out! Don’t ask how I know.
Does the Prop Adapter then also have a set screw even though it bolts on?  Technically, since there is no pulling pressure on the shaft it may not need one but I am planning on using the adapter to slide into a rear bearing.  Maybe I want to get a larger one that will fit over the keeper ring.  Any clue what the diameter of that ring is?  Is all of that perhaps a bad idea?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:07 PM »
 No the prop adapter doesn’t have a set screw. You still need to have a set screw in the houseing to hold the shaft to the housing or it will certainly come apart. I use mostly front mounted. So I really do not have a lot of experience with them.  I do have a few rear mounted ones and didn’t use additional bearings and have not had issues. I prefer front mounted. I have had really good luck with it. In fact I have not had many motor issues either way I mounted them. There are many ways to skin this cat!
Hope that helps
Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here