News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:49:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shaft collet/drive washer - what are you using?  (Read 506 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shaft collet/drive washer - what are you using?
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
Guys,

I have been having a problem with the collet/drive washer shaft being a little lose on my AXI 2826/10 - 5mm shaft. The unit I have been using is an E-flight 5MM. It goes on the shaft very easy and when the prop is tightened it grabs the shaft but depending on how it gets tightened there is a little wobble in the spinner. When I noticed this wobble I checked further, if I just bring the prop a tweak more than snug you can rock the prop ever so slightly. When you really tighten things don't move but it seem the shaft can be very tight but not running true.

So who's shaft units have you used?

Best,           DennisT

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
Re: Shaft collet/drive washer - what are you using?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I have quite a few different units, but the best collet that I have is the one from Axi. It is very well made, and it never gets even slightly loose. If you have read my other posts, you will know that I fiddle........a lot! I have a few cheaper collet units and the can't take my abuse for long. Someone stated on another post (I think it was Kim Doherty) that if the collect unit is suspect..........chuck it out. That's good advice.

The bigger MVVS motors like the 6,5/910 come with a prop drive unit that fixes to the shaft with 2 grub screws. The motor shaft also has a small flat ground into it, and I've had no problems with that. MVVS is made in the Czech Republic..............same as Axi.

Spinners are another story. The Great Planes plastic spinners can wobble if not fitted properly. The backplates can also bend if the cut-outs in the front section are touching the prop blades. When you tighten the cone then the back plate can warp, causing the spinner to wiggle a bit. The neat thing about electric (one more good point for the cause!) is that there is virtually no vibration from the motor, so any slight vibration from the prop or spinner can be heard, or felt. It makes things easier to balance if you know where the vibration is coming from.
Keith R

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:37:32 AM »
Hi Dennis,
 I've been using the Great Planes adapters with the set screws http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUA39&P=7. They make them for different shaft sizes and also some have different diameter threaded side for the props. I grind a small flat spot on the motor shaft for the set screw to lock into so I don't get any slippage. I also put a drop of white glue on the set screw so it wont back out. This also breaks free easily if I need to get the collet off. The prop shafts are aluminum so if you are one of those that tighten your props down like a gorilla maybe you would have a problem with stripping. I don't over tighten so I don't have any trouble.
Wiliam
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
Guys,

The local hobby shop have a large E-Flite 5mm drive that I bought. It is a very hefty unit, the angle on the collet is deeper and the drive washer is heavy duty. I put it on the motor yesterday and it fits very nice with no wobble at all. Its a little heavier than the first one but it eliminates the need for a spacer washer to get the proper clearance for the spinner on my ship. This should do the job.

Best,              DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »
Guys,

Just to complete the information in my last post the collet adapter that I found that is very true running is the Great Planes ElectriFly GPMQ4994, 5.0mm input to 5/16x24 output not the E-Flite unit. This unit is well built and has a large tapper section that matches the drive washer tapper and grabs tight and true.

Best,             DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here