News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on voltage change  (Read 1547 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Question on voltage change
« on: February 16, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
My new plane is extremely nose heavy. I was thinking of changing batteries. I have the 25c 4s 4000 hyperion at 14.5 volts and a FM9 timer and castle 45 speed controller. This is with the flight 25 motor. what all would I have to change if I went to the 18V TP 2700 batteries?
AMA 12366

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Question on voltage change
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
smaller battery means less power ... means the only solution is smaller prop ... it will be much better to find way how to move battery back ... even on cost of splitting to 2x 2s

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
Robert, to keep the overall energy stored in the battery the same, you need to keep the product of the amp-hour rating and the voltage the same (roughly, you're keeping the watt-hours the same, and watt-hours is energy).

So if you wanted to go to a 5S pack and store the same amount of energy, you'd need at least 3200 mAh.

You'll find that if you do that, your weight stays roughly the same, too.  Worse, as the mismatch between the pack voltage and the motor kV gets worse, the efficiency of your drive system will drop.  Whether it makes enough difference to tell is debatable, but if it does it'll be for the worse, not the better.

About the only salvation you can find is if you have more pack than you need for the plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
Robert,

How much do your Hyperion packs weigh?  Also, what is the kv rating on your E Flite 25?  If it is the 870 kv version then you would likely be out of the governor range with a 5 cell pack unless you went to a much smaller propellor.  It seems that electrics tend to be happier with a slightly more forward CG as well.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
It pays dividends to do a rough CG check early in a new build well before you button things up. That is 20/20 hindsight so now your best bet is major surgery on the fuselage and/or wing so that you can move the battery back and correct the CG.  HB~>

One advantage of electrics is that you can use the battery to set the CG. Ideally you incorporate a movable battery tray which allows adjustments during the trimming flights. One disadvantage of electrics is that, if you HAVE to mount the battery in front of the wing, the model is apt to be nose heavy.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
A 5S, 3200mAh pack will be thicker and shorter -- that would move your CG back a bit.

If I'm doing my math right, and this is your 60oz stunter (and using the 70W/oz rule and the 75% charge left at the end of the flight rule) then your 4S 4000mAh pack is correctly sized, as would be a 5S 3200mAh pack.

Can you notch the wing without causing too much grief?

I hate to say it, but is that motor big enough for 60 ounces?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
My new plane is extremely nose heavy. I was thinking of changing batteries. I have the 25c 4s 4000 hyperion at 14.5 volts and a FM9 timer and castle 45 speed controller. This is with the flight 25 motor. what all would I have to change if I went to the 18V TP 2700 batteries?

When you say nose heavy, where will it balance in relation to the MAC with the existing batteries?  It may not be nose heavy after all.  We can talk or wait till next weekend.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »
Actually a 4Sx4000 sounds like more battery than you will use.  The 5Sx2700 should be comfy, the equivalent 4S size would be 3375, you could probably use a 3300 or 3600 and save a little weight.

Remember that you will want it to balance a little foreward of what you are used to - because your tank is "full".
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
Sparky,
When you say extremely nose heavy could you be more specific?  Measure from the flap hinge line at the root.  On a Crossfire, the balance point should be at about 7 3/8" from the hinge line.  If you notched the wing out, locate the battery at the extreme back of the bay.  My last years plane had  the battery as far forward as possible while this years has the battery all the way back.  You will probably find that electrics seem to work better with a more forward CG than what the modern piped ship did.  Most competition Electric flyers in the Northwest have found this to be true including Mr. Walker.
Alan

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
Sparky,
When you say extremely nose heavy could you be more specific?  Measure from the flap hinge line at the root.  On a Crossfire, the balance point should be at about 7 3/8" from the hinge line.  If you notched the wing out, locate the battery at the extreme back of the bay.  My last years plane had  the battery as far forward as possible while this years has the battery all the way back.  You will probably find that electrics seem to work better with a more forward CG than what the modern piped ship did.  Most competition Electric flyers in the Northwest have found this to be true including Mr. Walker.
Alan

Sparky.
May be a little real-time information from this weekend's flying will help you get a better feel for what you're up against as far as the CG situation. So far many people have given you sound advice to work from. I'll give you some actual specifications that my Crossfire/Finesse is flying at in regards to the CG.

Alan gave you a dimension to work from, nominally 7 3/8 from the trailing edge, my ship is currently flying at 7 3/4 from the trailing edge. Look closely at the picture that I've included you'll see the red lines on either side of the fuse, this is the current CG as I am flying it. My power system is E flight 25, 12/6 APC P prop, 4S 3000 batteries, KR timer. The ship is 655 in.², ready to fly weight is 60 ounces. This ship incorporates the same nose and tail moments as Mr. Hunt's Crossfire (just different overall construction).

I've followed your thread since you started with a Crossfire, my weights may be on the low side, I think Allen's new Crossfire will be very similar in flight characteristics to mine . There are many good sources for different sized batteries, leadership hobby, hobby King, hobby partz, etc. Ideally, you would like to have a battery that allows you some movement, gives you ample milliamps and doesn't break the bank.

I'm sure you will truly enjoy the flying characteristics of the Crossfire.

Regards
Dave

ama 41041
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Robert

You may have found out by now but, if you compare 6 different brands of 4S3300 25/30C lipo's they all have different weights.  You can pick up or loose an ounce & a half with different brands of lipo's. For example a Hyperion 4S3300 CX G3 weighs 12.8 oz. And a Turnigy Nano-tech 4S3300 25C battery weighs 11.8 oz. Just sayin.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
My ballance poing now is around 8.5 from the TE. Way too nose heavy. Plane is at 59 OZ no clear.
AMA 12366

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »
Robert,

Seems likely that you can loose a bunch of battery weight if you go down to a 4S 3000 mah or even a 4S 3300 mah battery. I suggest that you check battery weights (as someone else suggested) and do a test. Make up a weight equal to a 4S 3000 or 3300 mah battery and place it centered in the battery tray/mount. Then you can see how much the CG moves aft with a lighter battery.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
Hi Sparky,
What's the actual weight on those Hyperions you are using right now?
Can they be moved any farther aft?

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
the 4S 3300 are 356 grams and the 4s 4000 are 414 grams and I could move them .5 back more but it wont make much of a change. I am just watching things right now., With where I am at right now I can always add paint to ballance the thing. I just don't  want the gross weight to go way up. I want to use .015 lines and I have to stay under 64 OZ to do so.
AMA 12366

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »
Sparky,
Why not drop the E-flite 25 and add the 32 instead.  Adds 10g, but you could then go to the 5S 2700 mAh Thunderpower 25C Pro Lite battery that weighs only 300g.  I was a bit nose heavy, but due to the small size of the TP, I was able to move it aft by over 4".  Running a 13" APC prop I never use more than 1950 mAh.  Saving the extra 3 oz of nose weight might mean you wouldn't even have to shift the battery position.  It also would reduce the overall weight.
Alan Resinger
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:38:53 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
Hi Sparky,
With the existing 870 Kv Power 25, if you find the lightest 4S 3300 mAh battery you can (3000 will juuuust suffice) and set the RPM in the 10,300 to 1,500 range and then find the pitch that flies at close to the right speed, then you will home in on the lightest battery for what you have.

On the other hand, Jim Welch's setup in the "not suited" thread sounds dandy.

later,
  Dean
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:42:26 AM by Dean Pappas »
Dean Pappas

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »
My ballance poing now is around 8.5 from the TE. Way too nose heavy. Plane is at 59 OZ no clear.
Sparky,,
you will move the CG aft when you clear it. betweeen that and a slightly lighter battery you may still be just fine
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here