News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sears AC/DC Clamp Ammeter  (Read 903 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sears AC/DC Clamp Ammeter
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:55:58 AM »
I have just check the Sears catalog for clamp on DC amp meters and it show a True RMS AC/DC Clamp Ammeter sears item # 03473756000 price $99.99. There is a higher priced model for $179. Has anyone used this meter (the $99) for our purpose and does it do what we need or do we need the $179 model.

Best,          Dennis

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Sears AC/DC Clamp Ammeter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »
Hi Dennis - Long time no see.  Mine is a model 82062, bought for $50 about 3 years ago.  Accurate to within 2%, plenty close enough.  I'm not sure if that model no. is the same item no. you mention, but no need from this end to spend more money than the basic model.  Also doubles as a dandy troubleshooter for your auto battery and starter.  Tom H.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »
Hi Dennis - Long time no see.  Mine is a model 82062, bought for $50 about 3 years ago.  Accurate to within 2%, plenty close enough.  I'm not sure if that model no. is the same item no. you mention, but no need from this end to spend more money than the basic model.  Also doubles as a dandy troubleshooter for your auto battery and starter.  Tom H.

HI Tom

I have sold several people these for 49 bucks, they seem to like them

Astro Flight's Super Whatt Meter - Digital Volt/Amp Meter No Plugs
Astro's new Super Whatt Meter takes the guesswork out of electric flight. Just look at what this new precision instrument can do for you. With this instrument, you will know
Measurements:

Current draw up to 70 Amps,
Nicad battery voltage up to 60 Volts,
Motor input power up to 4,000 Watts,
Nicad capacity up to 9,600 milliamp hours.
Motor timing for maximum power and efficiency.
Props and know which ones are the best.

Regards
Randy

www.aeroproduct.net

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »
Tom,

Good to hear from you I have just started with the electrics (been off in diesel land for a while, works well but messy) and hope to have the first ship flying by months end. Checking the Sears site they do have a model priced at $59 (Sears item# 03482369000) that does measure AC/DC amps (3% accuracy) so this might do the trick and save some $, also includes a temp probe. Specs on line at Sears.com in the electrical meters section. The $99 & $179 meter is more accurate and has a few more bells and whistles that I'm not sure do us any good for what we need to measure.

Best,          Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
Actually the Astro Wattmeter Randy mentions is a better system (I think) than the clamp on since it also simultaneously measures the battery voltage along with current, as well as keeping track of the mAHr delivered. It can also be used while charging the battery if you are interested.. The best that can be said of the clamp on is that you don't have to unplug anything--but you do need to get access to one of the leads.

A potentially positive thing about the clamp-on is that if you put it on one of the motor leads, you may be able to measure the motor current. However I am not positive how this actually works out since at least 30% of the time one of the 3 wires isn't being powered. But anyway one should realize that battery current isn't the same as motor current except at full throttle (ESC on all the time). Most of us are flying at partial throttle, and in this case, battery current is actually less than motor current.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »
Hi All,
The only real advantage to the clamp-on meter is that you can clamp it on, start the motor, take a quick current check, unclamp it and fly ... just that fast without having to shut down and disconnect the admittedly excellent Astro product.
I have the same old $50 Sears job that Tom described. The $99 buck item is certainly versatile.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »
Decided to go with the $59 Sears AC/DC Clamp on (Sears item# 03482369000) thanks for the tip Tom. It is a nice size and also has the temp probe should do all I need. The $99 unit is a bit bigger and the only interesting extra is the infrared temp sensor. If one need that Sears a nice small one for $49. Hope to do some tests on the A123 set-up soon.

Best,  Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here