News:

• June 15, 2024, 05:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scorpion SII-3026-710?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Scorpion SII-3026-710?
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:39:40 AM »
I've done some digging with a small shovel, not a big one yet.

I came up with the Scorpion SII-3026-710.

Looks like this motor will work well with 550 sq's. 55" in span, eliptical wing design.

Certainly it would be nice to know if others have had experience with this motor?

Or, and more importantly, is there a better choice? And why?

Not sure if the Scorpion SII-3026-710, can be changed to front mounting? The motor HAS to be front mounted.

I'll copy Robert's placement of his battery, at the LE standing up. Different size choices in sizes? I have limited height and space?

I may design the wing where I knotch out the LE to park the battery closer to the CG. I can do that.

All input will be appreciated.

Charles

Scorpion SII-3026-710
Specifications:
Stator Diameter: 30.0 mm (1.18 in)
Stator Thickness: 26 mm (1.02 in)
No. of Stator Arms: 12
Magnet Poles: 14
Motor Wind: 7 Turn Delta
Motor Wire: 21-Strand 0.25mm
Motor Kv: 890 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (IO/10V): 1.90 Amps
Motor Resistance (Rm): 0.014 Ohms
Max Continuous Current: 70 Amps
Max Continuous Power: 1025 Watts
Weight: 205 Grams (7.23 oz)
Outside Diameter: 37.50 mm (1.47 in)
Shaft Diameter: 4.98 mm (0.196 in)
Body Length: 51.75 mm (2.04 in)
Overall Shaft Length: 80.5 mm (3.17 in)
Max Lipo Cell: 4s
Motor Timing: 5deg
Drive Frequency: 8kHz

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Scorpion SII-3026-710?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »
Charles,, at the risk of being a broken record,, at the top of this section there is a pinned subject called "list your setup"" It has LOTS of information about setups,, I have no doubt that the Scorpion is listed there, I think Christ Rigotti used one for awhile in fact,, and several others,, you should be able to find out all you need there by doing some reading not to mention gathering a bunch of peripheral information which would be advantageous,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
Charles,, at the risk of being a broken record,, at the top of this section there is a pinned subject called "list your setup"" It has LOTS of information about setups,, I have no doubt that the Scorpion is listed there, I think Christ Rigotti used one for awhile in fact,, and several others,, you should be able to find out all you need there by doing some reading not to mention gathering a bunch of peripheral information which would be advantageous,,

Mark,

Yes, you most certainly are a broken record.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Glad you have a since of humor.  ;D

Yes, I've been all through there, even took notes.

As you can imagine, there's such a mixture. Could be confusing to a layperson.

Besides, it's 2013, almost 2014, there may have been improvements or even new motors on the market?

Only the electric guys would know that.

I can't afford to make any mistakes that's why I'm looking for guidance.  n~

What are you comfortable with or using?

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
I suggest you contact Will DeMauro ... He is the best source for electric from the NYCLST ... He uses Scorpion motors.
Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
I suggest you contact Will DeMauro ... He is the best source for electric from the NYCLST ... He uses Scorpion motors.
Joe

Joe,

You're using a Scorpion motor. Do you like your set-up? What's the sq's on that model and the weight? Front or rear mount?

I wanted to spin a larger prop, that's why I had interest in the 3026?

Forerunner Gen2
Built from Custom Models kit plans
1/2" added to nose
Built up profile fuselage
Built up empennage
Bob Hunt triple cored wing
Tom Morris controls
Scorpian SII 3020-890 motor
3300 4S Lipo
Castle Creations Edge Lite 50 ESC
Hubin FM-9 timer
APC 11 x 5.5 EP
RPM setting 10200

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/motors/s30_series_v2/SII-3020-890KV/

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
Best flying set up I have.  Will DeMauro suggested it.  I had to turn the motor down to 10000 RPM-s to get 5.4 lap times on 60' lines.  The vertical is extraordinary.  This is the right setup for a 550 sq in x 54 oz model.  I have it rear mounted.  I haven't used the 3026 Scorpion motor.
Joe Daly

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »
Save me a bunch of typing. 4 or 5 cell setup? Airframe weight? You say larger prop? How much larger, like exactly what prop and why? All motors are reversible. I'll work from there. 3026=most likely too big !!!
AMA 98010

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
I've done some digging with a small shovel, not a big one yet.

I came up with the Scorpion SII-3026-710.

Looks like this motor will work well with 550 sq's. 55" in span, eliptical wing design.

Certainly it would be nice to know if others have had experience with this motor?

Or, and more importantly, is there a better choice? And why?

Not sure if the Scorpion SII-3026-710, can be changed to front mounting? The motor HAS to be front mounted.

I'll copy Robert's placement of his battery, at the LE standing up. Different size choices in sizes? I have limited height and space?

I may design the wing where I knotch out the LE to park the battery closer to the CG. I can do that.

All input will be appreciated.

Charles

Scorpion SII-3026-710
Specifications:
Stator Diameter: 30.0 mm (1.18 in)
Stator Thickness: 26 mm (1.02 in)
No. of Stator Arms: 12
Magnet Poles: 14
Motor Wind: 7 Turn Delta
Motor Wire: 21-Strand 0.25mm
Motor Kv: 890 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (IO/10V): 1.90 Amps
Motor Resistance (Rm): 0.014 Ohms
Max Continuous Current: 70 Amps
Max Continuous Power: 1025 Watts
Weight: 205 Grams (7.23 oz)
Outside Diameter: 37.50 mm (1.47 in)
Shaft Diameter: 4.98 mm (0.196 in)
Body Length: 51.75 mm (2.04 in)
Overall Shaft Length: 80.5 mm (3.17 in)
Max Lipo Cell: 4s
Motor Timing: 5deg
Drive Frequency: 8kHz

Use the same set up as my Thundervolt Profile.  You won't be disappointed.  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=28728.0
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:55:02 PM »
Yeah, what Crist said !  You definitely will NOT be dissapointed. In fact you'll probably be happy as a clam, or thrilled to death even.  ;D
AMA 33676

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
Use the same set up as my Thundervolt Profile.  You won't be disappointed.  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=28728.0

Crist,

Took a good look at your work. Nice!! Kudos!!  H^^

I don't believe I've been in that build thread for your Thundervolt. It was awhile back and I had no real interest in electrics, my excuse for not seeing your Build.  ;D

I did make up for it.

Plenty of info to digest, plus the building process, start to finish, is well documented with fine photos and great text.

Nice to see a fellow modeler doing Build Threads like this. Kudos on that also.  H^^

And thanks for that link!

Charles

Crist Rogotti's Thundervolt Profile:

Winspan = 55"
Wing Area = 572 sq/in
Root Airfoil = 1 3/4"
Tip Airfoil = 1 1/2"
Tail Volume = 29%
Flap = 16%
Motor = Cobra 2826/12 760Kv
Battery = TP G6 Pro Lite 5S 2700mah
ESC = Phoenix 45
Timer = Hubin F9
Est Weight = 50 oz
Prop = APC 13x4.5 EP cut down to 12" - thick hub

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Glad you like it.  Check your email.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
Save me a bunch of typing. 4 or 5 cell setup? Airframe weight? You say larger prop? How much larger, like exactly what prop and why? All motors are reversible. I'll work from there. 3026=most likely too big !!!

William,

I just noticed your reply, thanks for that. Sorry I missed it or I would have responded earlier.

I would like to keep the cell setup at 4S. Only because I believe this would be lighter?

I have added sq's. I'm now at 609 sq's with a span of 60". The wing is elliptical. 13x4 prop. Better blanket of air with less effort?

As far as weight, I'm inquiring about that in another Thread.

I'm thinking AXI or Scorpion?

Charles

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
Ok, AXI or Scorpion, Don't matter, pick one use it. No mistake possible. You wont know the difference. Why not the Cobra? Save some money and you still wont know the difference. If you want 4 cell use this one Cobra C-2826/10 Brushless Motor, Kv=930 and a 4s 3000-3300mah battery. If you decide on 5 then copy Crist. I can tell you his setup works great. I had the pleasure to fly his plane a few months ago and he had plenty of power to spare. While I'm here save yourself a lot of time and effort. You don't need that rear bearing support!!!!! I know someone with almost 400 flights on the same motor and bearings without using a support. I WILL NOT use one on my new plane. My plane WILL have the above Cobra in it. Since this will be my Nats plane, it will probably be flown harder than you will ever fly and I have total trust in this system.
AMA 98010

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Will's system works ... I followed everything he told me when I decided to go to electric ... the best part is that I made no mistakes with equipment. I only had to buy once.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
William,

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

What do you expect your Nats airplane to weigh? What will it be?

Charles

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
Low 60's original design , more to be said at a later date.
AMA 98010

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:38 PM »
I used SII-3026-710 one season, I needed 2 motors, while I fly one AXI 2 seasons. The problem with SII are too small bearings, they cannot stand what I fly, otherwise ok, may be even better - for example magnets are better (for higher temperature), everything else OK for us, it means all depends how much you fly, if you count with very often flying, choose axi, if you fly only seldom, SII will be OK

they have even very similas dimmensions and also bolt pattern, so they are exchangeabe but AXI is little lighter (means does not weight so much as SII but also does not stand the same power)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here