News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scorpion motor and accessory line  (Read 792 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scorpion motor and accessory line
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:36:44 AM »
Has anyone check out the usefulness of the Scorpion products? The have an interesting line and the Scorpion 3026-10 is suppose to be comparable to the AXI 2826_10. On their web site (http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/index.php?cPath=21) they have a comparison chart and a motor calc download (it is over size on my computer and I wasn't able to get it to fit my screen). They claim the motors are rated for 392F temperature, use N-50_EH magnets and have three ball bearing supports.

There was a post on Hackers and it seemed it couldn't take our type of service, can someone post the basic parameters that the motor, ESC, Timer and Battery need to hold up to, this would at least be a starting point for looking into different options.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scorpion motor and accessory line
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I think you misunderstood the post re: Hacker motors. The post was talking about a smaller Hacker that did not have the adequate ball bearings we need for our ECL. The Hacker motors in our normal ECL size range (40 and 50 series Hackers) have large ball bearings and are excellent for our ECL use. This is also why we find the larger Hackers, and some others, are a little heavier. I feel the extra bearings are worth the small weight penalty. .... Your milage may vary. ;-)

RE: "rated to 392F" ..... This is what happens when you have the "Marketing" dept. writing the specs rather than the Engineering dept. LOL

Here is some info on Temps for our ECL motors, this is from a prior post I made:

6. Yikes! "400F" .... This may be the temp when the magnets stop being attractive to each other and file for divorce, but it is about 260F higher than the MAX recommended temp for our motors. Most Mfg. recommend a MAX operating temp of around 135F to 140F. If you operate above this level your motors life span will be shortend, the magnets will weaken, and the motor will lose power over time. As we approach 170F to 200F the motors life span will be as low as <50 flights. As we go over 250F we start to run the risk that the glue holding the magnets may begin to weaken and fail.
   I know that the E speed pylon racers cook a lot of E motors(and batteries) by running at very high temps, but they are going all out to win and look at motors like we IC pylon racers look at glow plugs, one or two flights is SOP.

FWIW When I give you my motor temp readings, they are actual in flight readings from my on board Eagle Tree data logger with a temp probe attached directly to the motor, and one probe to the battery. This unit also gives me real time RPMs showing the changes every 1/10 sec during the entire flight and for each maneuver. it also gives me Watts, mAh, av. and mins/maxs for each flight. It's a cool tool. :-)

BTW: A good rule of thumb recommended by the motor mfg. is that you should be able to touch your motor right after a flight without any pain. If you can't hold on to your motor, it is too hot. This is also the same rule of thumb for our batteries. ..... Our batteries actually like to be a little warm for MAX efficiency. Somewhere between 95F and 110F is where they are happiest and at max power. but they too are sensitive and should not be run at over 130F, or their life will be shortened. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:43:26 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:21:25 AM »
I'm using the  Scorpion 3020 on my E-Nobler. Yes Scorpion says their magnets keep their fields to higher temperatures, but I haven't ever noticed that my motor is particularly hot after a flight. After all, most of a CL flight is a simple walk in the park compared to the guys who spend a lot of time hovering their 3D RC planes or Electric Choppers (low airspeed, big props=big current). Remember, you have two laps after every stunt to cool down.

I also think most that the 3026 and AXI equivalents really are pretty big motors and most of us aren't really putting that many watts through them, and most of us do provide cooling to the motor.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:54:22 PM »
Alan,

I am interested in the E nobler information - what battery pack are you using with the 3020, ESC, Timer, RPM & prop, line length and flight time?

Best,       Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »
Dennis,
Check out the post on it below.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=6975.0

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here