News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Schulze F2B esc vs Castle Creations  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Jason Greer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Schulze F2B esc vs Castle Creations
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »
How does the governing software on the Castle esc's compare to the software on the dedicated F2B Schulze esc?  I'm just wondering if it has some magical features that dictate the higher price.  I dont see too many guys using the Schulze esc's, but the ones that are using it are doing quite well with them.  I really cant find much information on the Schulze.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Alan Hahn

Re: Schulze F2B esc vs Castle Creations
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »
I am not directly answering your question because I don't have a Schultz ESC.

However I would say that at least some, if not most of the Schultz users would probably do well if they were using a rubber band powered plane! <=

In years past, at least one issue against the Castle Creations ESC is that it didn't have a brake feature when you enabled the governor. That was a big deal for F2B where the prop must be stopped (or almost stopped) before landing. Also, stopping the prop (as opposed to windmilling) lets the plane glide better. With the prop windmilling, the plane loses speed pretty fast, so even in AMA events, a brake is very useful.

However last summer, 2007, Castle Creations finally came out with their CL governor, with the possibility to enable the brake.

At least for me, the CC governor has always worked--as evidenced by my Eagletree data recorder showing a constant rpm.

From everything I have read on the forums, the Schultz F2B ESC controller has always worked great for CL applications.

I suppose the CC ESC, being a general purpose ESC, is more complicated to setup than the dedicated Schultz. I am not sure what to do about that, since the more units they can sell to the general modeling public, the lower the cost will be. So that certainly is a tradeoff.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I fully agree about the rubber powered model! 

The cc controllers certainly do work wonderful and i've found the software to be quite user friendly actually.  The main reason for the question was to see what, if any advantages the Schulze might offer.  I have been pleased with the phoenix 35 i'm currently flying. 

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Kim Doherty

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »
How does the governing software on the Castle esc's compare to the software on the dedicated F2B Schulze esc?  I'm just wondering if it has some magical features that dictate the higher price.  I dont see too many guys using the Schulze esc's, but the ones that are using it are doing quite well with them.  I really cant find much information on the Schulze.

Thanks,
Jason

Sorry for the delay in responding to some of these questions but I just got out of the hospital after having my gall bladder and appendix removed as well as having a resection of the small bowel. OK TMI!!!

The Schulze ESC is still the only control line specific ESC on the market. The Schulze governor mode is simply the best in the world. It is dominant in high level R/C helicopter aerobatics where this mode originated from. It also has the brake function enabled in governor mode. By itself that is more than enough. You should realize that ESC's are designed to operate in a true RF environment where there is rf noise, dropouts etc. All ESC's are designed to operate in this environment. However the ability to respond qickly and accuratley is compromised by the provision for these events. 

The Schulze F2B ESC makes no compromises in this area. There is no code what so ever relating to true R/C type operation. All settings that could be made (say by you with a CC ESC) have already been optimised for our environment. You cannot however "DE-R/C" a CC ESC. it is still an R/C ESC even in control line mode.

This in no way means that a CC ESC (or other ESC) will not "work" and perhaps work well. There is however a big difference between being fully optimised for control line (SCHULZE) and just having brake enabled in governor mode with some settings to play with.

I will say this as long as it takes till people understand this new regime we are working in. You have to make a VERY!! concerted effort to distinguish between Need, Want and the ability to utilize the features of a particular piece of equipment. This is really no different than in the slimer world.

Just to put it into perspective. since both Paul and I have been flying electric, we have NEVER had a failure directly related to equipment. I am not so sure everyone else can say the same.

I have several ESC's including CC's and one like Igor used once. For competition flying I will stick with the company that supported control line flying with the best possible equipment available LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG before CC realized it was late to the dance. IMHO you should too! 

They have also been on sale for quite some time!

Kim.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
Just to put it into perspective. since both Paul and I have been flying electric, we have NEVER had a failure directly related to equipment. I am not so sure everyone else can say the same.

I have several ESC's including CC's and one like Igor used once. For competition flying I will stick with the company that supported control line flying with the best possible equipment available LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG before CC realized it was late to the dance. IMHO you should too! 

I do not know if everyone can say, but I certainly can ...  VD~

well ... I am not going to make advertisement, but I know 2 other C/L dedicated ESC - one is Jeti which is easy to set to c/l thanx its wide possibility of settings and second is TMM - and TMM was as far as I know first on market with quick (not slow heli) governor with brake.
I prefer Jeti just because it is adjustable on field by jeti box - and coated against the water - and does everything what it has to do. I do not know what can ESC give more that Jeti gives :-)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:15:47 AM »
I have been have been very happy with CC Phx and (the little I used it) the new ICE-50.  I am not expecting to change but I try to keep an open mind.

* Kim & Igor - are there websites or such showing the specs of the ESC's you mentioned?  Also, WHICH MODELS do you guys use?  In the case of the Jeti they seem to have a LOT of choices, and I hae no idea what the MM is.

* Also, RSM is turn-key packaging the system with the Hacker ESC.  Is anyone using these?  Does anyone know anything about them?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Kim Doherty

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »

* Kim & Igor - are there websites or such showing the specs of the ESC's you mentioned?  Also, WHICH MODELS do you guys use?  In the case of the Jeti they seem to have a LOT of choices, and I hae no idea what the MM is.

Hi Dennis,

Here is the link to the Schulze homepage:

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/

Here is the link to the company to order them from:

http://www.icare-rc.com/

As there are no user configurable control line specific parameters exposed for adjustment the only setup is to determine if you want brake mode, timing type, battery cutoff etc.

The control line model is the Future 18.46K F2B ESC

Kim.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
Kim,

Thanks for the link.  I hadnt seen the Schulze page before.  I see that the F2B esc is limited to 5s lipos.  My next model will use a 6s battery.  I will have to stick to the CC esc and thats not a bad thing as I've been pleased with my CC 35.  The main reason of this thread was to try to find out some more information on other esc's that are supporting CL users needs. 

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
OK I write something about those two Czech ESCs

TMM is from http://mgm-compro.com/index.php?tid=hi-end-electronics-for-models

I had in hands older 4412 and 4416 for 44A and 4 or 5 lipo cells. It was ESC with custom software for F2B and F3A cloned from heli version with quick regulation (heli has limited response to throttle, spin up slow givernor etc). Some people still fly them, also Bruno wrote few times about it ( http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=13025.msg117001#msg117001 ) and I also remember some test how quick is which ESC and winner was TMM.

Programming allows to set speed of acceleration, brake, and number of cells. Maximal RPM is possible to set in speacial programming - ESC can "sense" maximal RPM in learning mode and that number is stored to memory.

I do not use that ESC anymore because programming was by servo signal, and I also cannot set RPM to my value (necessary for twins).

The second Czech ESC from http://www.jetimodel.cz/index.php?page=products&old=0&category=40

Jeti SPIN. It is for 11, 22, 33, 44, 55 and 66A.

11-33 are for 4 cells; 44 and 66 are for 6 cells and 55 is for 8 lipo cells.

programming is by Jeti Box and allows setting of almost everything, from number and type of batteries, switch off voltage, including direct governor rpm setting, so it allows to set directly wanted rpm, not need to play with timer, impulse length etc. The throttle response can be made flat, so it works well with RC timers without quartz and allows very precise rpm setting. I has also setting for speed of the regulation, so it is usefull for both Helis and also for us.

It also shows eventual error codes like overheating, low voltage atc. You can see also minimal voltage during the flight.

It is regular version, the only special thing for us is anti-water coating.

I posted most important setting and procedure of programming here: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12672.0

Kim Doherty

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
Kim,

Thanks for the link.  I hadnt seen the Schulze page before.  I see that the F2B esc is limited to 5s lipos.  My next model will use a 6s battery.  I will have to stick to the CC esc and thats not a bad thing as I've been pleased with my CC 35.  The main reason of this thread was to try to find out some more information on other esc's that are supporting CL users needs.  

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, IMHO the 6S Lipo setup  is a non starter. (no offense Dennis) The Turnigy 20C 6S 3000 pack weighs 585 gm. A Thunder Power 5S2P 4000 Prolite pack weighs 416 gm. That's 169 gm (six ounces) difference in just the battery pack alone. A CC35 might not give you enough head room to accomodate the larger draw with good safety margins. So I would think you would need to go to a slightly larger ESC ----- more weight. I very much doubt that you can hang an extra six plus ounces on the nose of your model and still have a workable C of G let alone a good all up weight. Selecting by price alone is not a good plan. Buy fewer Thunder Power batteries and end up with a good flying model.

Kim.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
Kim,

I had actually planned on using the Thunder Power prolite v2 6s 3300 which weigh 458 grams.  I did not realize that the 5s 4000 Prolites were that light.  I was thinking they were closer to 480 grams.  I will reconsider my plan.  I have already ordered a Scorpion 3026 600 kv.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Kim Doherty

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
Kim,

I had actually planned on using the Thunder Power prolite v2 6s 3300 which weigh 458 grams.  I did not realize that the 5s 4000 Prolites were that light.  I was thinking they were closer to 480 grams.  I will reconsider my plan.  I have already ordered a Scorpion 3026 600 kv.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

The TP 6S V2 3300's are 515 gm/pack

Kim

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »
Everything I've looked at shows the 6s 3300 prolite v2 at 458 grams.  The extreme v2 6s 3300 shows 515 grams. 
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
Jason:
THe key to using a 6S set-up is to size the batteries correctly without excess capacity.  Forget the 3300's.  We are flying the Strega with 6Sx2800's and 6Sx2650; both packs are around 420g,  Using 6S cuts the mah usage - we are using around 1700 mah.  Thus look for packs like the TP 2600's - I think you will have a MUCH better chance of success.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Kim Doherty

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Everything I've looked at shows the 6s 3300 prolite v2 at 458 grams.  The extreme v2 6s 3300 shows 515 grams. 

Jason,

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. I was looking at the extreme v2's. So with that out of the way why would you use a battery that weighs 458 gms instead of one that weighs 416? Weight is important! You are gaining nothing by running 6S.

Kim.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »
Jason,

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. I was looking at the extreme v2's. So with that out of the way why would you use a battery that weighs 458 gms instead of one that weighs 416? Weight is important! You are gaining nothing by running 6S.

Kim.

Power corrupts, 6S power corrupts ABSOLUTELY!!!   >:D  %^ (PE**)  8)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
Kim,

I would think that the 6s system would produce less heat as the curent levels should be lower for the same power as a 5s.  As a bonus the 6s 3300's can be had for $160 a piece.  The cheapest I've seen the 5s4000's is $220.  Also, I've been told that Thunder Power is no longer configuring these packs in the brick configuration so they must be modified into a more reasonable shape.  Price is a major factor in the equation for my models.  I may still go with the 6s 2600 prolites as they weigh just over 12 ounces.  I'm just nervous that with a 14x7 I may be close on capacity with the 2600.

I really appreciate everyones input!!  Please keep the comments coming.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 10:23:22 PM »
How about a tale of the tape comparison?

E-Stregugh          Jason's Geo
Span                             60"                     62"
Area                            734 sq.               730 sq.
Airfoil Thickness          about 2.75"         just over 2"  ----------- YIKES
Weight                        79 oz               60 oz (target)  --------- DOUBLE YIKES
Prop                            13x4.5                  14x7
Battery              6Sx2650 or 6Sx2800        6Sx3300

Compared to the E-Strega your new bird should be about the same size, over 1 pound (!!!) lighter , with a thinner lower drag airfoil.  That should all add up to less power required.  Your intended prop is larger.  Normally that means more power required but because you have a less power-hungry airframe, the 14" prop may not be as big a drain as might otherwise be expected.

More to the point, I am not sure you will need nor want a 14x7.  Just for reference, the Strega winds-up when flown with a 13x6.5.  It is MUCH better with a 13x4 or the new 13x4.5.  If you are going to run a 14" prop then I would suggest the 4" pitch.  However I think that is only available as a RH rotation.

All of this is a round-about way to suggest you stick with the 6Sx2600's and the 13x4.5 pusher prop.  The set-up will save weight and make it easier for you to hit your weight target...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
Ok I've been hearing that a lot of  guys talking about using 6s with lower mah than 4s packs higher, what is the reason for this ? I have have been using 4s 4000 mah.14.8V  ???
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:13:35 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
I would think that the 6s system would produce less heat as the curent levels should be lower for the same power as a 5s.

Right, the current for 6s will be lower as 5s. But resistance of the motor with lower KV is higher. And both comes with the power of two.

If I can make extreme example I will compare 4s and 8s:

If I have motor for 4 cells with KV=800 and resistance 40mohm, and current 40A. Then loses in its resistanec is 40^2 * 0.040 = 64W.

If I use 8 cells, it will need only half the current 20A to deliver the same power and energy (answer for Larry). It will need twice the winding to get half the KV=400. The resistance will be 4x higher 160mohm (longer and thinner wire). So power loses on winding are again 20^2 * 0.160 = 64W

The weight of the battery will be the same. Iron loses are also the same (the same RPM).

The real difference is thinner cabling, but it is minimal weight difference, and what can be important, the pack with more cells will need charger which is able to charge it, and you will need lower current.

For example my battery has 6 cells by 2.3Ah and my charger can charge maximally 10A. So my pack is charged at ~18 minutes. The 3 cell pack at 4.6Ah needs over 30 minutes.

So the answer is ... it depends :-)

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »
Igor:
Thanks so can I just replace my 4s to 5s or 6s with what I'm using now? what about the volts it will be higher also with more cells?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »
yes, you can, but you will need motor with more turns and ESC which will last higher voltage.

for example 4s will need axi2826/10 and 5s will need 2826/12 etc ...

you can use also 2826/10 with 5 cells, but efficiency will be lower

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 07:31:15 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the input guys.  Its very appreciated. 

Dennis,

I had planned to run the 13x4.5ep initially.  I will probably experiment with other props also.  Experimenting is part of the fun of it for me. :)  I like your analogy relating the Strega to the Geo.  My initial calculations told me to go with the 6s 2600 opposed to the 3300's, but in talking with others I got a little nervous about having enough capacity.  It seems that if you guys are only using 1700 mah in an 80 ounce airframe then I should be well under that with a 60 ounce airframe.  One of the reasons I wanted to experiment with the 14x7 was to see how much more(if any) efficient the higher pitch/lower rpm setup would be.  As a bonus I would think the 14" diameter would give more line tension above 45 degrees elevation.  I was worried about the wind up of the higher pitch, but I was thinking that the effects would be minimized with the governor.  I havent seen any wind up with my smaller omega with a 12x6 and i've flown in winds up to about 12-15 mph.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Alan Hahn

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
Ok I've been hearing that a lot of  guys talking about using 6s with lower mah than 4s packs higher, what is the reason for this ? I have have been using 4s 4000 mah.14.8V  ???

Larry,
Being diplomatic, those guys don't know what they are talking about.   n1

Alan

Alan Hahn

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 08:20:43 AM »
Larry,
Just so I can reinforce what I just said,

What matters is how much energy you are carrying. That energy is equal to the battery voltage * the maHr of the pack. Any particular flight will take a certain amount of energy. How you want to carry that energy is up to you----but depends on the kV of the motor, the prop, and the rpm you want to run at.

If you know the prop, and the rpm, then you can play with the motor kV and the battery voltage--to hit the rpm target. Once you have that, then you can choose the mAHr of the cell so that you hit the energy required.

As Igor has pointed out (and I have too many times), there is no efficiency difference between a 6s pack driving a 600kV motor, and a 3s pack driving a 1200 kV motor. The 3s pack will have half the cells, but each cell will be twice the size of the cell needed for the 6s pack. All I am assuming is that each cell has the same "C" rating.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »
Alan,

I never said the 6s would be more efficient.  My only mention of higher efficiency was trying to run a larger prop at a lower rpm to increase the propellor efficiency, not battery efficiency.  I do understand that a prolite v2 6s 3300 = a prolite v2 5s 3900 = a prolite v2 4s 5000 in power capability.  Like you said its simply voltage * mah as long as the batteries have similar C ratings.  I dont know if you've looked at these batteries, but here is a breakdown of the weights claimed by Thunder Power:
prolite v2 6s 3300 = 458 grams
prolite v2 5s 3900 = 472 grams
prolite v2 4s 5000 = 480 grams

Each of these batteries cost about $150 so price is a wash.  My main reason for picking the 6s out of these three was weight.  Its true that the prolite 5s4000 is lighter than any of these packs, but the 5s4000 is $230!  Even if I wanted to spend this much for a pack I would still have to reconfigure them as they are no longer offered in a brick configuration.  In the standard configuration they are over 12" long. 

If you have a better suggestion for a battery with power capacity that is equal to the 5s4000 and doesnt weigh 20+ ounces then I'm more than open to suggestions.  So far I havent found one.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Alan Hahn

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
Jason,
I agree that battery packaging sometimes varies, and that we don't always have a selection of available packs that optimizes exactly where we want to have things. So yes final choices are not necessarily the "mathematical" optimum!

I have certainly done what you are wanting to do. In my case I standardized on FMA2100mAHr cells. Quite honestly they are about the lightest out there--equivalent to the "old" Thunderpower Prolites 2100's (maybe they are the same cell.

So on my Vector, I am flying a 4s2100 pack, I mention that this pack weighs 7.3 oz and costs ~$65.  If I wanted more energy, then I would consider a 5s or 6s version, but at the same time I would try to get a lower kV motor to match. I have put a lot of posts in this forum on efficiency measurements.

When I am talking efficiency, I am talking about the system up to the motor, and not the prop etc. However I am clearly interested in good efficiency there too, since that allows me to use a smaller and lighter battery pack.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
As has been pointed out many times, it does not really matter whether we are using 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, etc.  What matters is that we have a suitable battery capacity and the right kV motor to generate the target RPM.

It would be a lot easier to select batteries if lipos came in 100 mah graduations - but they don't.  Sometimes we are CLOSE to what we need in capacity but not quite there and the next step yields way more (and weigh more) battery than we need.  Adding cells is another way to get to where we want to be - adding power while lowering necessary battery capacity.

Battery size (dimenisions) and weight seem to be disproportionate to capacity (mah) some cells seem to be on a sweet spot.  I think it was Alan who noted that 2100mah lipos seem to be one of those places were capacity maxs out versus size and weight.  I recommend you check out the Arrowind site - they list a broad selection of 20c, 25c, 30c, & 35c packs including the dimensions and weights.  You can also see how the batteries grow with C ratings.  I used this site for my capacity/size/shape/weight studies.

http://arrowindhobby.com/

Kim has been a long time proponent of Big Power systems, Mike Palko's and Paul Walker's 5S systems certainly reinforced the fact that big power is quite effective.  When putting together the system for the E-Strega, I started looking at the 5S packs and quickly concluded that I could not quite get what I wanted because of the sizes available.  We also seemed to be a little off on kV ratings.  6S became a logical upgrade.  It is actually perplexing that the actual mah used has been somewhat lower than predicted - meaning we COULD have got there with 5S and even with reasonably sized 4S systems.  In fact one of the long term experiments will be to prove that out by replacing the 6sx2800 with 5Sx3300's and finally with 4Sx3600 - changing the motors too!

Another dirty little secret.  Battery recharges seem to be going faster.  That should not make any sense, but it seems to be coming out that way.

(arrogance alert)
Thus while I may not "know what I'm talking about" I am grateful that the E-Strega shows that I know what I am DOING.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
Dennis,
I did not include you on my list!  <=

All the reasons you list as to reasons to choose 3, 4, 5, 6....... are right. I don't think you said a 6s is more efficient than a 3s.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »
I suppose I am the list, as Dennis and I are the only two(that i'm aware of anyway) that have been discussing using 6s.  I certainly never meant to imply that 6s would ever be a more efficient setup.  I dont recall saying such a thing.  If I did then I was wrong and apologize for any confusion that I may have caused.  Sometimes things dont come out on these boards as they are intended! 

Going back to lurk mode,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Alan Hahn

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
Jason,
You aren't on my list either!!!

Sorry guys, I was referring to Larry's post---and now that I re-read what Larry actually posted, I am thinking I misinterpreted what he said HB~>. I notice now that there is no mention of efficiency at all. I guess I am too pumped up about the misconception about efficiency, so I see "plots" everywhere!

SO please accept my apology!!

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
Dennis,
I did not include you on my list!  <=

All the reasons you list as to reasons to choose 3, 4, 5, 6....... are right. I don't think you said a 6s is more efficient than a 3s.

No I don't think I ever made THAT claim, if I did I would have been wrong.  I think we all get hung up over EFFICIENT versus EFFECTIVE versus OPTIMIZED versus AVAILABLE.

Even doubly ironic, about a year ago I was ranting about 5S as being too heavy, now I'm singing the virtues of 6S!  Awhile back I was also getting over 3S, now I found some new 3S packs that suddenly put those systems back in the game - I guess I have to admit I STILL have a lot to learn, and I hopefully I AM learning. 

Heck, several posts ago I even admitted I was willing to learn more about Schulze, Jeti, & MM controllers!  #^  :o  8)

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Kim Doherty

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »
Just to go over a few of the issues that have been raised in this thread...

I am pretty certain that you can have Thunder Power build up a pack in any configuration you need. Go to them directly or go through RCToys. Ask nicely!

Also, the Thunder Power Pro Lite 2100 mAh cell IS the highest power to weight cell in existence. A TP 5S2PB 4200 mAh pack weighs only 472 gms. The 2000 mAh cells seem to hold up quite well and at 416 gm for a 5S2P 4000 pack we are willing to give up the C rating and the small amount of capacity to reduce the pack weight by two ounces.

I am not a proponent of any particular size power system. Rather I am a proponent of the best "optimal" power system. All reccommendations I have made are the result of extensive testing by myself and others whom you all know and respect.

Low pitch propellors are not as efficient as higher pitch propellors. I think you will find that just as the "Netzeband Wall" limits a pilot's ability to exert more force in big wind, that the true cause of whip-up is the flattening of the control surfaces as speed builds up. Since the governed electric motor can not spin faster than has been selected I do not think that low pitch props are the way to go. As a full size aerobatic pilot I can tell you that you do not want to relax the stick on the way down even a little bit or the speed comes on like a freight train and is very hard to get rid of .

Just my humble $.02 worth.

Kim.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »
  Even if I wanted to spend this much for a pack I would still have to reconfigure them as they are no longer offered in a brick configuration.  Thanks,

Jason
[/quote]

That's not true. Last year I called TP when I heard that they were no longer available. They are not made in bulk and kept on the shelf.
When I pushed them a little harder, they said they could make some for me, but they had to shut the line down to re-configure for those. When I told then I wanted 6 batteries, it was no problem. They were in my hands within 2 weeks.
Paul Walker
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:58:32 PM by Paul Walker »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here