News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Safe charging amps for less $$ batteries?  (Read 403 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Safe charging amps for less $$ batteries?
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
What is considered a safe charging rate for less pricey batteries like Turnigy, Zippy, and others in the $20-30 range? I have the Turnigy Accucel 8150 balancing charger which so far works fine and a 20 amp power source. I have charged at 2 amps and 4 amps with no heating of the battery, on "LiPo Balance" setting. I have 4S and 5S in the 3000mah capacity. Full charging at 2 amps takes about an hour and a half to input 2500 ma, which seems excessive.

How about better batteries like the ones from Hobby People or the gold standard TP V2 Lite?

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Safe charging amps for less $$ batteries?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
Mike,
Most of the lower priced "budget" batteries can safely be charged at 2C. The Turnigy Nano series and the Gens Ace batteries are good "budget" batteries that can be charged at a 5C rate. I know there are a few high priced batteries, some Thunderpower ,I think, that can be charged as high as 10C. As with any lipo the manufactures recommendations SHOULD ALWAYS be followed!!!!!!!!!!   It does take a powerful charger and a very powerful powersupply to be able to charge most of the batteries that we use at those high rates!! A lipo should NEVER EVER get warm while charging, no matter what the rate!!! I have charged Hyperion 4s 4000mah at 5C (20 amps) in about 9 minutes with absolutely no warming whatsoever.
AMA 98010

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Safe charging amps for less $$ batteries?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »
Mike brings up a good point. You must have a power supply, not just a charger and battery that can accomplish the charge rate. Even at 1 c charge rate I have 6S packs I use in RC that I cannot charge at that rate because my chargers will not provide the current. Like everything else we do in electronic components, each must be adequate to the job. The least capable will be limiting.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here