News:

• May 06, 2024, 04:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: run time question  (Read 519 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
run time question
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
I am setting up an electric stunter and want to set the flight time. I am using a Wil Hubin timer running castle creations cl governor high mode. Lap times are 5.3 sec per lap. Could someone tell me how long the minimum timer setting would be. Never mind the extra laps, just the time it requires to actually do the pattern from engine start up to end of pattern. I'll then add whatever I want as a cushion. I had set up for 6 minute flights with my electric smoothie but wasted alot of battery at the end flying level laps. I want to decrease  the battery size required so need a number. I know wind  will change things but I need a realistic start point and figure someone has that worked out already.

ps, thanks to Wil and his excellent timers I am back into electric cl stunt. I gave up on it 2 years ago with what now turns out to have been several defective timers. I have just spent the morning test runing several of his timers and they are just excellent. Very much plug and play.

Thanks

bob branch

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: run time question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »
Hi Bob
GLAD to hear you are having some success this time around.  Will's timers ARE excellent, and he has a really nice line-up of new products too.  It is amazing how many thngs have gotten better in just the last two years or so.  Wonder what the next few years will bring?

Sounds like you need a helper with a stopwatch marking times for ya.  Plan B just count the laps you are doing after the pattern.  I think Will's timers vary in 15 second intervals so for every 3 excess laps you can go down 1 setting on flight time.

One of the beauties of electric is that every lap is usable, no waiting for the motor to lean out & quit.  At 5.3 sec, flying a diisciplined pattern with no extra laps you can probably finish the clover at about 5:15 after launch, so you will probably be hard-pressed to set the timer below 5:30. 

Oh yeah, how about posting some info on your set-up?  & pix???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
Dennis is correct.  5:30 will get you there.  I fly 6 min flights from the time I arm my system which includes 23 secs for me to get to the handle.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
I suggest getting a "Talking Timer" (advertised in Model Aviation---or just Google it). Costs about $20. You type in the total time, and as you fly, it calls out the minutes, on the minute. At the one minute mark, it changes to every 10 seconds. I know that on my plane, I will be on the second or third loop of the clover when the timer says "one minute". I also know the motor will quit between the 40s to 30s part of the countdown. I is comforting to know exactly where I am in the pattern, although by now I probably don't really need it.

I set 6 minutes to start on the "Talking Timer", which allows a 20s pause on the motor timer as I walk out to the handle. I fly 5s-5.1s laps, so my total motor power time is 5 minutes. With slower laps, I agree that 5:30s should be just fine for you.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
thank you gentlemen.

bob H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here