News:

• May 22, 2024, 10:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rules of Thumb?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rules of Thumb?
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
At one point I went through the "list your setup" and calculated the average power/pound for a bunch of planes, and I came up with something like 100-150W/lb for big planes, and more for 1/2-A sized.

Then someone pointed out that that's average power, and that one must allow for about twice that for peak power, at least if one is using an ESC in governor mode.

Can this be distilled into some rules of thumb, beyond just "look at 'list your setup' and guess"?  Has someone already posted them, and I missed it?

It looks like the following should get one into the ballpark, although I'm not sure of my RPM figure and I'm really not sure of it for small planes and I'm really not sure if 80% throttle is enough.

There's too many planes and motors and batteries out there for me to want to take a "copy your neighbor" approach -- I'd much rather have some sort of "design handbook" approach, which is what I'm trying to find, here.

• Size the battery so that 150W/lb for six minutes uses no more than 80% of capacity, i.e. (weight)(4000mAh/lb)/(cells)
  • Size the motor and ESC for 300W/lb, i.e. current = (weight)(80A/lb)/(cells), power = (weight)(300W/lb)
  • Size the motor for 8000 RPM at 80% throttle*, i.e. Kv = (2700 RPM/V)/(cells)

* Is 80% right?  70%?  50%????
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Rules of Thumb?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
From data which I measured yet I see that motor needs aproximately the same power like static on ground at highest load during the flight. Means motor must be able to reach at least flight rpm on ground with discharged battery (means lowes flight capacity, not 0%).

and the rest depends on motor and battery, higher resistance will lead to lower rpm stability and thus it will need more head room. Strong and stable motor and battery will need less % ... so as usually ... "it depends"  >:D

BTW why you need to know that %? and when? in level, uphill? downhill?  VD~

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
Yes, Tim.
I'll reply in full later in the day.
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
Igor:  The % of full throttle is an attempt to derate things to capture just the factors you're quoting -- motor resistance, battery sag, etc.

Dean:  Thanks.

I've stated my desire.  My motivation is that it seems like there's enough raw data out there to reduce current practice to some guidelines that will at least get someone up to an intermediate-capable plane in one try, and reduce the number of iterations one would need to take to get to an expert level.

I have four use cases that I want to be able to answer with this:

• Case 1: I like small planes, and I know I'll never take 1st at the Nats.  So there's not much material in there for me -- I want a structured way to extrapolate down to planes that'll fit in the trunk of my little car.
  • Case 1.5: And by the way -- I'm a skin flint, so for sport flying I'd like to put a plane together with less expensive parts and apply the money saved to my kid's college fund
  • Case 2: an RC guy who doesn't like slime engines asks how to get into electric CL -- I want to be able to answer.
  • Case 3: a CL guy wants to try electric, but for some reason doesn't want to take the time to get on this group -- again, I want to be able to answer.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »
Wow! took too long to get back: sorry, Tim.

Okay, for starters, a Stunter consumes between 0.6 and 0.7 Watt-hours of energy per ounce of ready-to-fly weight to actually fly the schedule. The difference between the two figures is mostly accounted for by airframe drag, differences in line length and also differences in powerplant efficiency which has a lot to do with prop and RPM choices.

Anyway, let's use the example of an "average" 55 ounce airplane on 65 feet of line. Assuming 0.65 W-h/oz I get 35.75 W-h.
Now I'm going to make an assumption that we will be running a 4S battery. It could be a 5S ...

Because the nominal battery voltage under load for a 4S pack is 14.4 Volts, we will divide Watt-hours by Volts to get Amp-hours consumed.
I get 2.48 Amp-hours and I'll round to 2.5.

If we fly a 55 ounce ship with a 4S setup, we need a 3.3 Amp-hour battery. (3300 milli Amp-hour)
This is lucky 'cause they are made in that size: otherwise we would have to look for the next size up.
Why 3300? You should not use more than 75% of the battery capacity during a flight.
Yes, some folks run 80% just to get by with the next smaller size battery, but they will suffer shorter battery life as a result, and hot weather operation may lead to unhealthy battery temps.
If you use much less than 75% of the battery capacity, there is no downside other than that you are carrying around needless battery weight, but using only 2/3 of capacity will lead to very good cycle life, so that you might loose them due to age first unless you fly a lot.

Okay, so now we have a 55 ouncer with a 3300 mA-h battery using 2.5 Amp-hours of capacity in about 6 minutes.
The average current will be 25 Amps or 2.5 A-h divided by the running time of one-tenth of an hour, or 6 minutes.

Depending on your setup, the peak currents will be maybe 50% greater than the average or somewhere near 37 or 38Amps. The minimunm currents will be maybe half of that during dives.

Now we pick a motor Kv and prop and RPM to get a sensible combination.
The target running RPM is : Rpm(target) = 0.75 * Kv * V(battery).
Let's assume I have a motor with a Kv of 920 RPM/Volt in my grubby paws. I get 9,900 RPM as a target RPM.
You can safely go 10% lower and maybe 10% higher than this target figure in order to accomodate the available prop pitches, and desired lap times.

Your actual running voltage (or equivalent throttle) will be maybe 6% to 10% higher than the 75% figure we used, because the motor resistance will "waste" something like 1 volt.
Yes, if you put 3.3 cells into one of the motor simulators you will get about the right results. Yes, many of them accept fractional cell counts!

So now we are running around 9900 RPM in flight, and for a sensible lap time an effective pitch of roughly 5-1/2 " is needed.
Unfortunately, the number stamped on the prop and the effective pitch are only neighbors ... not twins. You'll need to experiment or lean on the prior experience of others.
For example, if you add 5% to the RPM and run the fashionable 13 X 4-1/2 APC pusher that pulls like it has most of another inch of pitch in it, then you'll be okay.

How much diameter? Up until the point where diameter kills the turn, adding diameter adds power consumption in the climbs, and reduces it in the dives while only very slightly affecting the level lap power consumption.

Remember that the battery voltage in a healthy setup in a climb near the end of the schedule can drop to 3.4 Volts per cell, (or 13.6V for a 4S)
and this eats into that excess battery voltage that the RPM governor needs in order to goose the throttle and fight gravity. If you use more than 75% of capacity, you may see even lower voltages.

more to come,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
Thanks Dean -- it's very helpful to see all of this summarized in one place.  For the most part you're confirming stuff that I'd already gathered (but don't have the practical experience to really know), and for the rest -- I'm getting well educated!
AMA 64232

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
I ought to put it into a spreadsheet ../.
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
I ought to put it into a spreadsheet ../.
If you don't I'm going to -- and I don't know what the heck I'm doing!
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:31 AM »
Doing the battery-growth calculation for cooling in the other topic got me wondering about how stuff scales.  What goes into the .65 W-hr./oz., and how does it go?   I think some calculation could be way more fruitful for electric stunt at this point than for glow-engine stunt: electric doesn't have the benefit of 60 years of trial and error, and everything is so much easier to measure.  All that effort I put into figuring out how to do airplane systems trade studies might not go to waste after all.  I look forward to that spreadsheet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
Doing the battery-growth calculation for cooling in the other topic got me wondering about how stuff scales.  What goes into the .65 W-hr./oz., and how does it go?   I think some calculation could be way more fruitful for electric stunt at this point than for glow-engine stunt: electric doesn't have the benefit of 60 years of trial and error, and everything is so much easier to measure.  All that effort I put into figuring out how to do airplane systems trade studies might not go to waste after all.  I look forward to that spreadsheet.

I made up a copy and sent it to Dean, hoping to alarm him into making a better version.

It didn't work, but I did get some comments back.  I also just found out that I can't post a spread sheet here -- Word documents, yes, Excel spreadsheets, no.

The energy capacity vs weight (I assume that your number matches mine after one sorts out the units) comes from the average power consumption vs. weight.  For RC, I know that between about 2 lb and 10 lb the power/weight number is pretty constant for any given performance level.  For that matter, an F8F Bearcat (full scale) has a power/weight ratio of about 150W/lb, and can be justifiably described as "aerobatic but not 3D", so maybe you can extend the rule of thumb up further.  Below that it appears that you can get by with less power/weight -- but for CL the trend seems to be the other way.  I don't know if the difference in RC is illusory, and any small plane that gets off the ground "flys good", or if it's real, in effect for CL, and completely offset by the drag of the lines.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »
Dean,
GREAT response,, I have not seen these calculations before,,
However one question,,
you state
Anyway, let's use the example of an "average" 55 ounce airplane on 65 feet of line. Assuming 0.65 W-h/oz I get 35.75 W-h.
Now I'm going to make an assumption that we will be running a 4S battery. It could be a 5S ...

should this be 0.65 W-hr* oz
instead of 0.65W-hr/oz?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:14:46 PM »
Dean,
GREAT response,, I have not seen these calculations before,,
However one question,,
you state

should this be 0.65 W-hr* oz
instead of 0.65W-hr/oz?

Nope.  You want to know watt-hours, you have ounces.  So you multiply

(0.65 W-hr/oz) * (55 oz) = 35.75 W-hr * oz/oz.  Ounces divided by ounces are no units, so that resolves to 35.75 W-hr.

If you had something in units of W-hr * oz, and you multiplied it by something in ounces, you'd get an answer in watt-hours times ounces squared, which probably wouldn't mean much.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »
I see where its gone wrong,,
I assumed the 0.65W-0h/oz was the stated formula when in reality the formula is
0.65W-h/oz * oz,, the inclusion of the units ( oz) made it appear to the un-engineered back seat math guys,, like me, that this was the formula and he was dividing the Whours by the ounces,,
so there was a language barrier occuring,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
Hi Tim, friends, and other readers,

This note is mostly for those ECL interested parties that read these posts for the information they provide to "help them fly ECL", but are not necessarily interested in all the science that is behind everything.  n~

To find fancy formulas to be used in system selection is admirable, but "basic" rules of thumb and basic simple formulas are very useful to those who are new to ECL and those that just want a "turn key" system to go fly stunt. The Watt #s the engineers are using on this thread are the watts required FOR THE ENTIRE FLIGHT so they can see the details of what size battery and motor meet the overall requirement.

MAKE YOUR LIFE EASY:

When selecting your system components for ECL you can use the mfg. recommendations for electric RC 3D aircraft. Almost all the mfg. (Hobby Lobby AXI, Hacker, E-Flite, etc.) web sites give us the 3D aircraft weight/power recommendations. We can use this ERC-3D recommendation for our ECL planes. This is very close to our E-CLPA mission. The following rules of thumb are based on HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of electric powered flights. They are very reliable #s. They have been tweaked to fit our ECL mission as close as possible.

PLEASE don't confuse some of the computations on the other parts of this thread with the most important # we can use and that is the:

"MAX WATTS AVAILABLE THAT THE SYSTEM CAN DELIVER AT ANY MOMENT"!

This means you need a system for competitive CLPA that can deliver between 175 to 200 WATTS per pound of A/C (10.9 to 12.5 watts/oz.)

This # makes it very easy to select a system just using the published info. from the mfg./distributors web sites. Most of these sites give you the MAX Amps the motor can safely use. This is usually given as two #s:  normal steady Amps, and MAX momentary Amps (usually <15 sec at a time). In computing our system we can use this momentary Max # because in ECL we only need our HIGH Watts # for very short bursts. For most of the motors we use in ECL these #s are in the 40 Amp to 50 amp range.

The other published # is the recommended voltage range for the motor. In our case it is mostly 14.8V

This gives us:   14.8 Volts * 50 Amps = 740 Watts            65 oz plane = 4 lb.            740 Watts / 4 lb. = 185 Watts / Pound  (right where we want it :-)

I (and others, Dean, etc.) came up with this rule of thumb years ago to make it very easy for new ECL flyer's to select their components. This Watts/pound # is already corrected for the fact that your system will have lower power available toward the end of the ECL flight (reduced V, and Amps, etc.), that is why we need to start out so high.

The other important EASY rule of thumb for Battery mAh size is approximately:  "60 mAh for each ounce of plane weight"    

In our example:   55 oz plane * 60 mAh/oz. = 3300 mAh size battery  ....... 70 oz plane * 60 mAh/oz = 4200 mAh size battery.

Since we are constrained in our battery size selection by what is available we sometimes have to compromise a little on the above rule of thumb.

Dean's excellent post below helps show those interested in the "backstory" how to get to these #s. Again, all the above rules of thumb are based on hundreds of thousands of electric flights and they have proven to be solid #s at the highest levels of competition. They will certainly get a newcomer to ECL in the ball park, ..... and even to the correct row and seat.  :)

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:58:09 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:25:03 PM »
"MAX WATTS AVAILABLE THAT THE SYSTEM CAN DELIVER AT ANY MOMENT"!

At one point I went through the "list your setup" and calculated the average power/pound for a bunch of planes, and I came up with something like 100-150W/lb for big planes, and more for 1/2-A sized.

Then someone pointed out that that's average power, and that one must allow for about twice that for peak power, at least if one is using an ESC in governor mode.

Granted, it wasn't stressed as much as you have, but we most certainly did mention it.

Getting the motor size right, and sufficient current out of the battery, and having the whole thing crap out four minutes into every flight, without enough room to put in a bigger battery, would be a pain.

Hence the desire for a spread sheet that lets you get all the variables into the ballpark, so that when you go to the flying field for the first time you can at least be confident that you won't have to stomp the airframe to toothpicks and start over.

I never, ever, get things right when I do them by rote.  If that's what works for you -- great.  Me?  I need to understand the issues before I proceed, or I mess things up.  I'm working on a tool for people who think like me.
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
Me?  I want to figure out how to beat other people at flying stunt. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »
now Howard, there are always people at stunt contests that you beat,, heck you beat most of the people at a stunt contest,, I suppose its just certain people you want to figure out how to beat then?  H^^
so how about we concoct an EMI device to trigger at said portions of said persons pattern, say right at the intersection of the hourglass,, the EMI might cause a hickup,, oh wait, thats pretty specific huh,, ok well never mind,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
Hi Tim,

RE: your reply # 14
I agree with you 100%, it is important that new people to ECL have an accurate idea of what to use for their size CLPA plane before they go through the trouble of cutting up their plane to install this E equip. Anything we can do to increase the accuracy of this process may help others have a more enjoyable ECL experience. A few years ago we created SS that have all the variables needed to come up with the basic formulas that are used to select our equip. Much of our info has been posted on this forum before and also published in the PAMPA NL "Stunt News". It is all worth repeating for the newcomers to ECL. I'm glad you are bringing the subject up again. The more info we have on this thread the better our systems will be. :-)

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:45:42 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
Thanks Rudy.

I do think your suggestion to check your motor manufacturer's suggestion for sizing for an equivalent weight 3D RC plane is a good one.  It's a nice clear direction that should certainly give some strong guidance!
AMA 64232

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
Hi Tim,

We are fortunate in ECL to have over 25 years of ERC experience to draw on. I, and thousands of others, started using LiPos in RC about 8 years ago. This and modern brushless motors changed everything. I first flew electric RC in the 1980s but they were heavy and primitive by toady's standards. There have been many bright guys in ERC over the years that have perfected the E systems that we are now fortunate to be able to use in ECL. 

This is why I mentioned that my #s were based on hundreds of thousands of E flights, and now we have thousands of ECL flights giving us plenty of data verifying these #s for our use. The ERC-3D power requirements match up almost perfectly with our E-CLPA mission. These #s have proven to work very well in ECL at the top levels of competition in the past few years. ....... I hope this easy to use method, along with the two simple formulas helps those that are thinking of getting into ECL.  :)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »
Tim,

We are fortunate in ECL to have over 25 years of ERC experience to draw on. I, and thousands of others, started using LiPos in RC about 8 years ago. This and modern brushless motors changed everything. I first flew electric RC in the 1980s but they were heavy and primitive by todays standards. There have been many bright guys in ERC over the years that have perfected the E systems that we are now fortunate to be able to use in ECL.

I like to go through my old magazines, re-reading the construction articles.  Except that the electric power ones are downright painful.  Geared can motors, and NiCd batteries, and by gawd I'm getting 75W/lb oh boy look at the performance!!  Now you just take any old wet model, put in modern equipment, and you find that it's no heavier (lighter if you build for the lower vibration), quieter, and doesn't have slime all over it when you land!

The most puzzling part for me is that I still like flying wet power...
AMA 64232

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
The most puzzling part for me is that I still like flying wet power...

No big supprise.  Real airplanes make noise and leave a smoke trail, smell bad and need the oil cleaned off - its part of the air power culture.

y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 02:20:46 AM »
No big supprise.  Real airplanes make noise and leave a smoke trail, smell bad and need the oil cleaned off - its part of the air power culture.

y1

Hi John,

I think a similar line was posted on another forum about 100 years ago.   "...... Real carriage power systems make noise, leave a dust trail, smell REALLY bad, need a LOT of really bad stuff cleaned off ....... it's part of the carriage culture" .... signed; Clyde "the scoop" Rawhide   n~   

The trail of Progress does not always travel in a straight line! Or maybe: "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" applies?  ;)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
Rudy!
Don't you remember the old sales pitch from the same era?
"Fight pollution ... get rid of that horse and get an internal combustion engine."  LL~

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
Rudy!
Don't you remember the old sales pitch from the same era?
"Fight pollution ... get rid of that horse and get an internal combustion engine."  LL~

Dean P.

Thanks Dean, that's a great sales pitch, it worked .... well sort of? I'm going to use that in my Marketing class, my students will get a kick out of it.  #^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »

You're missing one thing.....

An airplane that can do that!   Oooooo   Ouch   eek......Yes, the Ole Impact flies good, but it is falling behind now with all the advances in electric power, and design changes.

There is a way out....And you know what that is...

Get to work on that!

Soon.....Before the building season is over!!!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
I can't cope with that now.  Visions of sugar plums are dancing in my head.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »
...Visions of sugar plums are dancing in my head.

Sounds like Howard is working on the next paint scheme..!   ;D
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
Sounds like Howard is working on the next paint scheme..!   ;D

My guess is that it will be some significant amount of some shade of orange.   mw~

Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here