News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RSM Speed Controller Shut Off  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
RSM Speed Controller Shut Off
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:05:03 PM »
I have a RSM speed controller and timer on my Primary Force. It runs good with a Cobra 2820-12 motor and a 2800 4 cell battery. After the 5 min run and a 5 second warning it speeds up for 5 additional seconds but then goes to a low RPM and does not shut completely off. I have to land with the prop spinning at an idle.

Is this normal?

Steve

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: RSM Speed Controller Shut Off
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
Steve,
I assume from your description that the motor is still turning the prop even when the ship comes to a stop. No, not normal for CL and would not be allowed in competition. If the prop is windmilling once the timer cuts power and stops turning once the forward motion of the ship stops this is OK. Do you have the brake set in the ESC (or timer)?

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:57:52 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:03:38 PM »
Steve,
I assume from your description that the motor is still turning the prop even when the ship comes to a stop. No, not normal for CL and would not be allowed in competition. If the prop is windmilling once the timer cuts power and stops turning once the forward motion of the ship stops this is OK. Do you have the break set in the ESC (or timer)?

Best,   DennisT
Steve What Dennis asked.  Does the prop keep turning after the ship comes to a complete stop?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »
i guess I can't say if the prop continues to spin after a complete stop. The spinning prop usually catches on a blade of grass upon landing preventing me from answering the question. It could be free wheeling but the motor has what appears to be a running noise, this could however, be just the bearings when free wheeling.

I'll have get backto  the ESC operation/set up manual I don't recall reading about a break. I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:06:00 PM »
That would be "brake" not break......
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »
That would be "brake" not break......

Gimme a brake.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 12:31:49 AM »
RSM sells the KR timer so that is probably the timer you are talking about.  It is not in the DNA of a KR timer to run a motor slow (unless it is broken). So your prop windmilling on landing is probably what is happening.  Besides if your motor was still running when the prop hit the grass bad things would happen causing smoke.  If your ESC has a program card brake ON/OFF should be one of the functions.  At any case prop windmilling on landing is not a bad thing so fly and have fun - all is good!   #^    #^   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 06:39:45 AM »
I'm stumped, I cannot find a ESC Manual that is referred to in the Overview of the ESC literature and in the KR Governor literature. Both refer to the ESC Manual to set the brake to stop rotating the propeller.

I have E mailed RSM, waiting. Does anyone have such a manual?

Steve

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 07:47:58 AM »
I'm stumped, I cannot find a ESC Manual that is referred to in the Overview of the ESC literature and in the KR Governor literature. Both refer to the ESC Manual to set the brake to stop rotating the propeller.

I have E mailed RSM, waiting. Does anyone have such a manual?

Steve
If your ESC is a ZTW brand you need a program card to change the settings.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/ztw-led-esc-programming-card?variant=19068680326

Google the model of ZTW ESC you have and you should find information on the required program card.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
John,

The ESC is a ZTW and I now see that a programing card is needed to set up the break option. I flew today and verified the prop is free wheeling on landing. Thanks for your help.

Steve

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 03:11:56 PM »
Steve,
Sorry about the misspelling of "brake". You really want to be able to set the brake to stop the prop as letting it windmill can cause problems if the wind comes up. I had one of the first ships I converted to electric without a brake. It was fine until on landing a gust of wind hit the ship with the prop windmilling, POW it stop forward motion and the ship just dropped out of the sky. Luckily it was only a few feet off the deck but that spinning prop acts like a big brake when the wind hits it.

One point, since it is windmilling the US contest PA rules would allow the landing to count. I don't think FAI international rule allow the prop to be spinning, maybe local contests allow it. Maybe someone that flys under them can clarify.

Best,    DennisT

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »
Steve;
Just saw your post.

I am reasonably sure that the ESC you have is a ZTW Mantis (Green color case). If you check in the ESC settings portion of the forum you will find I posted the correct settings for this ESC. All you have to do is to obtain one of ZTW ESC LED cards. Once you plug it into the ESC you can change all of the settings. This will solve your wind milling problem.

Hope this helps you.
Regards
Eric Rule

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 06:52:47 AM »
Eric,

Thanks, I'm waiting to hook up with a friend that has a card so I can set my green color case KR timer to "BRAKE" the prop at the end of the flight.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here