News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:35:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: REvolutions  (Read 33127 times)

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: REvolutions
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
Can I buy one on Amazon?

And please make it available through Amazon Prime so I can get free 2-day shipping  ;D ;D ;D

Awesome plane, btw. Been following since the beginning. Your c/l kung fu is strong.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »
Nothing much new here. I discovered Paul Walker articles on trimming and I am studying them now. Started to get more Amp draw than I had at the NATS but I think it is because i fly on grass and it is not exactly short grass, perhaps the motor works hard to get the model in the air.
I did CAD analysis of the control system and found out that some things where opposite what I was thinking as cause and effect. I was investigating the response of the arm (opposite the bellcrank) based on same belcrank deflection but varying bearing positions. Initially I though that I will go Logarithmic if I get the bearing close to the arm and more expo if the bearing is close to the bellcrank, the fact is that there is only one setting in my system and that is Expo, and the closer the bearing is to the the bellcrank the less Expo I have, and the closer the bearing is to the arm the more Expo I have.
Right now I have very nice response in flight the model is Soft in the center and quick in the corner easy to fly. I will have to make a angle gauge to be able to read the current handle feel response which I like. I would like to soften the center a little more and speed up the ends. That is 30min of work in the shop with one Allen wrench. Set up work is still in the beginning. I need more good weather more good advice and more time.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Ok gang I have a video of a flight that took place after the NATS. This is my buddy Mark at the center his flight number 4 on REvolutions so he is still getting used to it.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
Ok gang I have a video of a flight that took place after the NATS. This is my buddy Mark at the center his flight number 4 on REvolutions so he is still getting used to it.
Impressive.  Aside from some hunting inverted I saw no bad stuff from the plane.  It looks like it is capable of much tighter corners (but we won't go there right now).  You may have built what we all dream of - a plane that exceeds the capabilities of the pilot!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
Ken about the hunting, actually Mark was messing with the handle strap and yes it is capable of much tighter corners. Mark was babying the plane a bit. I have some kinks in the lines and after the loops they stick a little. I flew the plane inverted without lines twisted and it is just fine. I am also found that I have a little positive AOA on the inboard wing which is being fixed right now. It will get better. The flight program is still in it's infancy so there is more to come.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
The airplane is beautiful!! Been following along since the beginning, and the lines of it are awesome! I'd love to get a pull on this airplane. Its so cool looking!

The inside is even cooler looking than the outside. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
Random thoughts

Right now I am using about 1400 mAh on a 6S. The average Amps during flight is about 15-16A (the 66A ESC probably is not even breaking a sweat. That works perfect but it look like a 4S 2625mAH (per math) would get the job done just fine but since that is not really existing a 2800mAh 4S (2100 per flight @ 75%) will save me some 4oz off the plane. I just have to move it forward 3-4in to maintain overall balance.  To achieve that I have on hand a new motor which is rate 820KV and also rated 4S. the power is slightly less a drop from 1150W to 1040W which is still plenty.
The question is how much more heat will this system will produce. The dilema is that with the extra heat means waisted energy and I wonder if this might push the 4S system past the 75%. I lke the idea of a 54oz model.

There is also the idea open to go on 5S with a 2200mAh battery and aproximately same 75% but the problem is that the battery doesn't exist. At least TP is not making it. I can hack something up at around 275g but at that point I might as well go with a 2800 5s TP.

So the way I see it I will make a new nose built for a 4S system and try it. 

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:20 PM »
I am done with the NATS
Finished 5th with 1032 total score. Best flight at NATS was 536 my personal best as a matter of fact. This was mabe #15 patterns on the model. And we oly managed a crude setup at best. Battery usage is about  1350-1405mAh.
Weight is 58oz now with heavier power components and heavier tail.
Because low power consumption the door is open for a 4S 2800 witch will instantly shave 4.1oz lighter tails will open the door to a 52oz model.
It is all I have for now.

TDM,
Nicely done and what a great looking model.  Congrats on finishing 5th in Advance while flying a model with very little time on it.   It’s not easy to place that high in Advance because the pilots you are flying against are close to becoming experts already.  If you look at the Advanced Trophy you will notice the names of some very good pilots and my friends (We all fought hard battles).

Mike Pratt (a.k.a. Mikey)

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:09 AM »
Thanks Mikey
Some updates here worth noticing.
Flight:
I think I have worked out the slight hunting issue, it came from a rather stiffer hinge that also created some flight trimming (ghost problems). So I cleared the hinge from the epoxy and now it is free and smooth so the problem is gone. No hunting anymore.
I played with the control system to customize it to my preference, which is a soft center for easy to fly loops and flats and also I want that explosive corner this model is more than capable of achieving.

Development:
#2 is flying now. It tips the scale at 53oz with a more forward CG compared #1. So we might go back to the AXI and have a 51+oz model (AXI is some 40g lighter motor). Yes those weights are RTF with battery on board 6S2800 TP. #2 has a much lighter aft portion of the fuselage build with a much smoother outer surface that doesn't require filling and putty to fill in the grain. Also we have a lighter layout for the aft fuselage. It was 186g out of the mold compared with the 210g, add to that the fact that we have much less finishing to do we are in much better shape weight wise. That being said #1 even at a heavier weight is still a solid  performer. If we a really fanatic we can have even more weight savings in the future plus more increase in stiffness but as is it is unbelievable so we are good for now.

More testing will come over the winter. After the next contest I will change the position of the landing gear to be able to accommodate larger props. After that I am trying the smaller batteries. That can potentially save another ounce or more.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2018, 04:47:58 AM »
Out to practice.
I had 4 unused batteries from after the contest so I pulled over on my way home to practice a little. I am trying to videotape the flights to see what I do right or wrong and It seems that the first thing I need to learn is to place the camera in the right place. Oh yes and I learned that the pilot needs more work too.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:58:22 AM by TDM »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2018, 06:02:01 AM »
Out to practice.
I had 4 unused batteries from after the contest so I pulled over on my way home to practice a little. I am trying to videotape the flights to see what I do right or wrong and It seems that the first thing I need to learn is to place the camera in the right place. Oh yes and I learned that the pilot needs more work too.

LL~ LL~ LL~  We used to let the wind tell us where to fly, now it is the camera!  I resemble that comment.
"and I learned that the pilot needs more work too."  The camera will not lie to you. n1  Sometimes I wish mine would!  I love the way your design locks coming out of a corner and seem to rotate on the C/G in the rounds and forward of it in the corners.   Best of both worlds.

Ken

Ken
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:22:04 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »
I am still transitioning from flying style from the previous model to this one. And I am still getting used to the rate of turn on this one. It corners so easy and fast I have to retrain my reflexes and get used to going much deeper before I enter the corner.For sure I have more corner reserve to be gained. What i am not so sure of is how can I keep track of the model at that rate of turn. I was watching the triangle and the first two corners are tight and crisp and the third one softer so I have to go a little deeper in to that one.  Trimming is still work in progress and I am constantly trying to improve the performance. I will try to up the flaps travel a little to gain more lift.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »
I am still transitioning from flying style from the previous model to this one. And I am still getting used to the rate of turn on this one. It corners so easy and fast I have to retrain my reflexes and get used to going much deeper before I enter the corner.For sure I have more corner reserve to be gained. What i am not so sure of is how can I keep track of the model at that rate of turn. I was watching the triangle and the first two corners are tight and crisp and the third one softer so I have to go a little deeper in to that one.  Trimming is still work in progress and I am constantly trying to improve the performance. I will try to up the flaps travel a little to gain more lift.
I am not sure that human reflexes, certainly at my age, are up to much more than a 10' corner.  I know mine are comfortable at around 12' but I don't have what you have.  I am also pretty sure that the human eye will have a problem telling them apart, assuming the judges are human.  IMHO it is more those -0- bubble flats that rake in the points.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
I am not sure that human reflexes, certainly at my age, are up to much more than a 10' corner.  I know mine are comfortable at around 12' but I don't have what you have.  I am also pretty sure that the human eye will have a problem telling them apart, assuming the judges are human.  IMHO it is more those -0- bubble flats that rake in the points.

Ken

How about things like badminton, pingpong etc. Or even FAI combat? Or playing some instrument? Human eye/reflexes/coordination is much better than what we use in stunt. L

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
TDM,

Nicely done.

Can't loose sight of the fact your model is the first prototype.

Astonishing, by itself, just for that reason.

Could be an excellent contender just as it is.

A while back I did say, "YOU NAILED IT!!, with the design and engineering.

You'll be watched closely.

A good thing.

A very good thing.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »
How about things like badminton, pingpong etc. Or even FAI combat? Or playing some instrument? Human eye/reflexes/coordination is much better than what we use in stunt. L
To do a 10' corner at a normal flying speed, you need to consciously give two exact control inputs in less than .15 SECONDS.  That is 1/2 of the time it takes you to blink.

I am not saying you can't do it, I am saying that it is nearly impossible to tell which is which from 140' away.  A 10' corner is a whole lot tighter than you think it is.

I have played sports where hand/eye is critical and I think we are close to the limits.  Some more than others!
Ken
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:42:28 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2019, 07:35:12 AM »
Little update

I went flying yesterday. I was working on going very hard on turns and this bird is cornering like crazy and for me is a completely new experience. In the next flying practices I will try to set the response on the handle.  I can wail on the model so much more than anything else I have ever flown before to the point that a change in flying stile is a necessity. 
I had so much fun with it over the weekend. It is amazing in the air no question about it. I need a little more handle spacing and I need to soften the down side a little to even the response. In the air I can go as hard as I can and there is no stall very little slowing down and it just drives to the next corner effortlessly even on the top of the hourglass. What a beast it is in the air.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
So far so good no failures. I think I know why people have an issue with these types of ball links. They install them incorrectly. If you install them in one direction they can slip out and fail. However if you install then the opposite way it is impossible for them to come out even if the pressed in stuff comes off. So be mindful about how you install them. The color anodized part of the links has to be against the horn. I bet all the failure people are complaining about is because they mounted them in reverse. By the way these are built for cars that take a beating and not the light use we subject them for our purposes.
Hope it helps.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »
Thanks
The only way this is going on the market is if i get 10 or more orders paid upfront so I can buy all the material and get it done. I tried to get to market something else, ended up with a lot of material on my hands and some 60% of commitments bailing out on me.
I know this will sound bis because is my baby per say, but for me jumping from a Twister-ish plane to a SV-12 was a big jump and moving from SV-ish models to Revolutions is another big jump. Twister to SV to Revolutions = Honda Accord to Ferrari to Bugatti Veyron. To me and Mark it is drastic and for sure significant step up.
I will share with you at the NATS if you want to try.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
I spent a week building this year model or so I thought.
The thing is we tried some techniques in an effort to do paint in the mold that yelled some porky parts and I had to punt and regroup. Paint in the mold might work with rubber stencils that are quite expensive so I will revert to paint after molding process. Most likely candidate is the use of water transfer stencils with clear on top.
The good news is that now we have a flawless outer surface void of imperfections and we do that without the use of clear 2 part stuff we tried to use at the beginning of the build. I am very happy with that result. It is all in the techniques.
Another thing new here is a new way that we use to position the spars in the fuselage and that was perfect. The fixture included a way to glue the landing gear in position too but it was lacking clearance in on e spot so it was not applicable in this case. I will fix that so next time around we are golden. Another fixture we started to use is for nose ring attach, and that worked perfectly.  We now truly have interchangeable parts in our arsenal.
Every time we make a part it just gets better and easier compares to the last time around. I am missing a wing and a elevator and landing gear struts. The goal was to make a whole plane but it failed due to trying new stuff and having to reboot and start again and that ate the time. More important is that we made a lot of progress. But I am still bumbled out the job was not finished.
That is all I have new for now.

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:36 AM »
Still interested in how much one of these bad boys would cost. Since it's electric, no need to paint. And take apart makes shipping easy. If it ends up around $500 or so, each, I think you have a winner. Might even be a winner at $750.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2019, 01:47:53 PM »
Let's see here.
Carbon fiber 200$
Foam 100
7 days of 8-10hr work days plus machine time which adds to that time tally.
And sell them for 500-750.  ??? Ill keep my day job. This bird is on par if not better than the Shark  that sells as a kit for over 2000.  HB~>

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
Wouldn't it be sort of a good idea to build one from conventional materials, and see how it flies...that, before investing time and money in a manufacturing exercise?

The most popular kit. RTF or RTC models have some sort of contest-winning history connected to them.

That seems like a more sensible goal..at this point.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
Let's see here.
Carbon fiber 200$
Foam 100
7 days of 8-10hr work days plus machine time which adds to that time tally.
And sell them for 500-750.  ??? Ill keep my day job. This bird is on par if not better than the Shark  that sells as a kit for over 2000.  HB~>
As I see it you have two markets.  Those with enough money to buy whateverTracking  they want and those that don't.  If you can't make it under $500 then you only have one market.  Price it at $3,000 and give test flights to anybody (qualified to fly such a plane) that is interested and see if there is a market.  You might also consider licensing it to somebody that has the equipment to produce one.  But before you do any of that, get whatever part of it you can patented/copyrighted.

I am not being critical here so don't take it wrong.  How do you know that this plane outperforms the current top planes?  Have you flown any of them and have any of the owners of these planes flown yours?  When I came back into the sport all I had ever flown were top of the line .35 size ships.  My first .46 ship was like nothing I had ever flown till I flew a .60 size and I knew I was in stunt heaven.  In the group I fly with those .60 size ships are to them what the .35 ships were to me 40 years ago.  Just be sure that what you are seeing as a vast improvement is not simply that you fly better with it.  It is not a "Revolution" till someone that has been to the top of the mountain tells you that it flies better than what they are currently flying and I truly hope it does!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2019, 12:13:36 PM »

I am not being critical here so don't take it wrong.  How do you know that this plane outperforms the current top planes?  Have you flown any of them and have any of the owners of these planes flown yours? 

Just be sure that what you are seeing as a vast improvement is not simply that you fly better with it.  It is not a "Revolution" till someone that has been to the top of the mountain tells you that it flies better than what they are currently flying and I truly hope it does!

Ken

I don't want to justify my conclusion because no matter what I say will be taken as bias, and that is normal. So if you come to the NATS you are welcome to try it and make up you own mind. Actually anyone at the NATS can try it, all you have to do is ask and you shall receive. You might want to bring a blank handle with you so you set the neutral to your liking.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
I don't want to justify my conclusion because no matter what I say will be taken as bias, and that is normal. So if you come to the NATS you are welcome to try it and make up you own mind. Actually anyone at the NATS can try it, all you have to do is ask and you shall receive. You might want to bring a blank handle with you so you set the neutral to your liking.
Right answer.  Set a price and bring order forms.  Sadly I will not make this year's Nats but I am going to ask Mike Scott (another avid electric flier) to give it a shot as soon as he has flown his last official.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2019, 06:52:08 AM »
Back from the NATS
I had some time to fine tune the setup of the plane to my liking. Dave Fitzgerald and Derek Barry helped me with the setup when I was at the Triple Tree event and they opened my eyes to some trim details I was not aware of. So now that I had some time I managed to set up the plane just perfect. It was so much better than before to the point it was a new plane.
I set the turn rate to be equal on both sides and then I fine tune the corner to react to my imputes based on my flying style and I became one with the plane. This was the point where I said I am ready to receive coaching. Too bad that the weather did not agree with that. It was either 95+ and 100% humidity or same plus crazy wind. Anywise it was not practice time at all so I went in competition with what I knew. Yes my flying leaves a lot to be desired but it is mostly because of lack of coaching. Most of my maneuvers where flown with 40 degrees top elevation which in my eyes where 45 and I made many mistakes. Give me another 200 flights and I will turn that around. I the final day I decided to try new things and change the flying I was doing prior to that. Needless to say that was stupid and I threw the contest away.
Notably Mark crashed his model before official flights began Wednesday but it was just a flesh wound and we patched the tail and flew normally after that. He hit the ground upside down turned the model in normal flight. The motor ejected with spinner and the leftover prop and fell in the grass just outside the circle. His REovlutions continued and landed normally. That was eye opening that with aft CG and missing the 9oz of stuff in the nose (motor, spinner, prop, motor mount) the model  was still flyable at that time "safety".  And yes there was a loud bang. The only damage sustained was some scratches on the top of the fuse 3/4 of the top of the rudder crumpled and a scratch on the top of outboard wing tip. We fixed all that in an hour at the hotel glued the nose ring back in place and we where back in business.
I had to have fun with this repair so I drew this on the nose with a sharpie  :) :o :(.
The best part was to share the models with some of the contestants. Three flew it Samantha Dany and one other, all flew in wind, some with a smile on their faces that never stopped some showing a poker face. "I can get used to this" was common response and from past this is the response I kind of get from anyone that picks up the handle. Sharing the plane was the highlight of my NATS and I totally enjoyed it.
I think this model is awesome in the wind. The line tension is not overwhelming at all and it pulls everywhere without sacrificing corner it noses out upwind adding some line tension there and the vice versa downwind taking line tension away so there is no excessive added line tension added during the wind compared to the line tension in calm conditions, there is some but it is just a little more it is rather uniform upwind and down wind and nothing that will pull the hand out of your socket.
It is time to start practice with a purpose, hopefully a coach, and create a routine. I need to iron out inconsistencies relax and find myself. I have a solid machine I can depend on and all I need is practice.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
Made a video on assembly. I was challenged on how fast i install the battery in the plane so I went a step farther and assembled the whole plane plus the battery.
Here is the result. A little under 3 minutes to put the whole plane together minus the lines and handle.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
Made a video on assembly. I was challenged on how fast i install the battery in the plane so I went a step farther and assembled the whole plane plus the battery.
Here is the result. A little under 3 minutes to put the whole plane together minus the lines and handle.

Looking at this video I am beginning to realize how special this ship is.  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »
Very impressive.  I am assuming that the wing joint is about 1/2 - 1" deep?  I would think you would need that much to keep the wings from flexing without a center spar.  I have done the pocket thing on a sailplane years ago but it only stressed one direction.  Do you reinforce the interior of the center section to stop stress cracks from forming?  Never thought of having a removable nose.  All in all - really cool.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2019, 08:31:56 PM »
I'm as fortunate as can be because not only have I seen this model but I've handled it

Nothing short of a work of art and the craftsmanship, this kind of quality is only found on other planets.

Yes, I've seen TDM put the model through a few excellent patterns. Flies on rails is cutting it short, It's simply outstanding in every aspect of the pattern.

I noticed with the third corner of the triangle, sharp, turned on the money and no nervousness could be detected in the maneuver, especially in that third turn.

I hope to see the model fly this weekend.

I'll take photos this time.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
There are only two in existence right now. I ran out of materials on #3. So that one is work in progress. I am considering to use the fuselage from #3 and put the wings from #1 on the fuselage.
The attach pins stick out some 3/8 in on the wing and nose and the blade spar in the horizontal is one inch. There are hard points at the root of the wing that hold the lock in, they spread the load to the wing spar.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
I managed to crash the plane in to the flight box on landing. I was flying to the camera, and after take off the wind started to blow in my face during the maneuvers, so the whole flight is upwind. I pushed as far as I dared but after loosing it in the vertical eight two times that was it for me.
The stupid thing is that I forgot to mark the circle center so immediately after touch down the outboard wing hit the flight box  :(.
Most of the damage was in the aft portion of the fuselage and landing gear part of it.
In the new plane a desired to have some changes made. I wanted to correct the ground clearance by placing the gear mount in the right place. I wanted to have a more forward CG position. I also wanted to be able to move the battery to adjust the CG further if it was needed. Because all of that the decision to replace the fuselage became obvious. Interchangeable parts make that an easy task too. The fuselage had already the wing and gear attach parts installed and all I had to do is to place the elevator spar in position and transfer the hardware over to the new fuselage. And the hardest thing to do was to find the stuff in the house to do it with, syringes glue etc and in some cases I had to improvise.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2020, 11:34:15 AM »
Knowing, and having experienced your talents,

It's fixable and you'll do a great job.

Great, soothing, video BTW.

Charles

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2020, 03:27:04 PM »
Charles the picture bellow is already fixed minus little paint.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Charles the picture bellow is already fixed minus little paint.

TDM,

I kinda had a feeling that was the repaired model.

You're good.

Look no balsa!

Charles

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »
You are a braver man than me, I could see the wind was taking the model out of your comfort zone. I'm not sure I would have even subjected my ARF Nobler to the rest of the schedule.

It was interesting to watch another "Leftie" perform a reverse wingover. I position my body similar to yours. It's good to know it's my ability rather than anything I'm doing wrong is the cause of my problems.

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2020, 09:35:33 PM »
Here it goes. The first test flights under the belt are done. I kept all the previous settings the same minus the CG which obviously moved forward. Flew 9x2min flights to get the speed back on target fine tune the flaps to get wings level and after that I started to adjust the CG. So far I have very good tracking an lock but I am hunting for a little more corner. Anywise I am happy with the results so far.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2020, 11:40:08 PM »
Here it goes. The first test flights under the belt are done. I kept all the previous settings the same minus the CG which obviously moved forward. Flew 9x2min flights to get the speed back on target fine tune the flaps to get wings level and after that I started to adjust the CG. So far I have very good tracking an lock but I am hunting for a little more corner. Anywise I am happy with the results so far.
You may have not planned to fly the pattern upwind but it is not a bad idea to study what your plane does when you put it outside it's comfort zone.  I thought I was the only one certifiably crazy but I guess I was wrong!  Still, mark the center of the circle but rest assured you are not the first, nor the last to hit your flight box.  I have done it twice.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »
I have an orange cone in my flight box to mark the center.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
I am out practicing and fine tuning the repaired bird. I ended up moving the lead-outs forward after these flights. The line tension got much better on top after that. Lap time about 5.5 sec 5min 30sec and 1300mAh max back in the pack. Typical consumption is 1250mAh.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2020, 07:33:42 PM »
I put three flights in today. The goal was to get the turn rate equal as i had a little less inside turn compared to the outside turn. I extended the flaps pushrod and presto a perfect turn rate both ways, because the way the system works in my model this is the equivalent of shortening the flaps to elevator pushrod in a typical model.  I got rid of that soft number 4 corner in the inside square and hour glass and the 3rd corner in triangle.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2020, 02:08:49 PM »
About one week ago I flew in bumpy air, the model was fine but the turbulence was felt everywhere, so I decided to move the CG forward and it started to plow through the turbulence. For added safety margin i moved the CG a touch more forward and left it there. Yesterday I had a big flying day where I worked on fine tuning the model based on the new CG location. I cant remember how many 2 min flight I did but the thing is I did not stop till all the bugs where worked out and till I was happy, I think there where some 20 flights in all. After all that was taken care of for my enjoyment I burned 3 full flights that are equivalent to the best I have flown so far. I have better tracking more line tension equal turn inside and outside and a little but less corner now to be able to keep up with the model. I can dial in more corner any time if I feel like I want it or need it but for not this slower turn suits me just fine.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
About one week ago I flew in bumpy air, the model was fine but the turbulence was felt everywhere, so I decided to move the CG forward and it started to plow through the turbulence. For added safety margin i moved the CG a touch more forward and left it there. Yesterday I had a big flying day where I worked on fine tuning the model based on the new CG location. I cant remember how many 2 min flight I did but the thing is I did not stop till all the bugs where worked out and till I was happy, I think there where some 20 flights in all. After all that was taken care of for my enjoyment I burned 3 full flights that are equivalent to the best I have flown so far. I have better tracking more line tension equal turn inside and outside and a little but less corner now to be able to keep up with the model. I can dial in more corner any time if I feel like I want it or need it but for not this slower turn suits me just fine.
Don't you just love the three flights to a battery trim!  How tight are your corners now?  One of the things that I liked about your plane was the corners.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Ken I actually added some elevator travel to regain the corner that was there beforehand. I can add more but I don’t need it right now. My buddy flies with CG almost 3/4 further forward compared to what I do and he also has corner to spare. When we need more we just dial in and add some. 🙂

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
Ken I actually added some elevator travel to regain the corner that was there beforehand. I can add more but I don’t need it right now. My buddy flies with CG almost 3/4 further forward compared to what I do and he also has corner to spare. When we need more we just dial in and add some. 🙂

Kudos.

I know how hard you work.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »
I finally did it. I worked hard to get in the pool of hungry angry sharks now. What was going through my head  ???
Open class next year for me.

Online Tim Just

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter