News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: REVOLUTIONS Build Log  (Read 7809 times)

Offline TDM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
REVOLUTIONS Build Log
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
Hi my name is Traian Dorin Morosanu and it is my pleasure to introduce you to some of the technologies I am in corporating in the new project  REvolution. After two years of development I decided to move away from the classic stile of building a stunt plane and I foud it necessary to lave the old behind and introduce the new. All the design for this plane is done in CAD (Computer Aided Design) and all the molds are done on CNC (Computer Numeric Control Machines) The most deviation on these machines is about .0001 in (that is one thousand of an inch) and this allows me to make components separate ignoring the logic sequence and then assemble them later with minimum fitting  work.

Dorin.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TDM

• Captain
Re: REVOLUTIONS Build Log
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »
REvolution Control Surfaces
Flaps Elevator Ruder

I was looking for a better way to make these types of control surfaces and I had good success in using a technique by which I cut two peaces of 1/16 balsa to size and then I was spreading them out against a mold using triangles of balsa against a mold then a cap was added to the leading edge to complete the surface. It worked great and it was a lot lighter than the traditional sanding using rods of a C grain balsa sheet. We all know how hard is to come by a light C grain piece of balsa. But even though you still have to add finish paint etc.

Upon studying construction techniques used by the RC Glider constructors I started to implement them in to my building techniques
What I ended up with was a hybrid build construction and it is very similar to the way we build sheeted foam wings today.
These components are both stiff and light and as a bonus they can be built pre finished.
I will go through step by step on preparation and execution.

Preparation
   Leading edge spar
Wood selection is not critical the softer the easier to cut. And the grain has to be as straight as possible.
Since I never need to use more than 30 degrees of travel up and down on any of my control surfaces I decided to build a fixture that will cut the leading edge balsa cap at 120 degrees. This can be easily done from ½ plywood scrap that is around the shop and if you have a disc sander with a 90 degrees wall there is no problem to make such s fixture. This can be applied for any desired angle. Below the next images are a guide as how such a fixture can be made. After the fixture is glued glue two Xacto Knife blades on the two slopes

After the fixture is completed lay your balsa wood on the table flip the fixture over and glide against the straight edge of the balsa for a perfect triangular cut.  

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
interesting techniques......I like your idea for the flaps...

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:24:02 AM »
Wynn I am just warming up. Get your popcorn.  #^ #^ #^

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
First Move

The first thing I did was to decide what kind of plane I wanted to build and in witch direction did I wanted to go. This is an individual preference. Or simply copy a plane that you like.
Second is to decide what my overall goal is.
In this case REVOLUTIONS
1 will be made so that I can make a plane in a week minus the paint
2 the completed plane will be 95% ready for the final coat of silver that means one coat of silver make the final touches and the second coat of silver then go put the color on.
3 Interchangeable parts this is the big one because the fit between the parts and the consistency must be bullet proof the idea is that if someone who flies my bird 2000 miles away and needs a spare part I should be able to make It blindly have them put in on the plane without any work other than a new coat of paint and go fly.
4 all the mating fits will have a maximum gap the size of a piece of tissue paper
5 take apart plug in system
6 electric from the ground up but I ended up with an option of a wet setup too

First Order of business is the design. CAD Computer Aided Design. If you know where you are heading it is a matter of 3 weeks worth of work but if you do not it can take years. I attached a picture of a CAD rendering for my plane.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
what have you got planed for battery installation and removal etc - would be interested in seeing details

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
That will be towards the end.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:06:08 PM »
OK control surfaces:
Flaps, Elevator, Rudder, Vertical Fin.  S?P S?P  #^  #^

The construction is straight forward. Foam core balsa sheeted with a 1/64 ply insert on the tip and a Aluminum housing for the control horn. What I did is first I glued the triangular leading edge on the foam core with 3M 77 contact cement. Do not put too much glue because it will melt the foam a light spray is all you need. Note when I made the triangular stock I made it extra long so the sheeting will but against this edge. Then I squared the root with sand paper. Then I glued the Aluminum insert on the base. The sheeting was next. The sheeting goes end to end and it glues on the top of the foam and the top of the insert so that the insert is sandwiched between the two balsa sheeting blocks. Then I squared the other end to size and placed a sheet of 1/64 ply on that end. The stab in the picture weights 10g and the flaps is 17g at this station ready for the glass.
Light foam 1lb (I may move to a closed cell 1.5 lb foam in the future because it is more user friendly during the bagging operation),  1/32 balsa, 1/64 ply, Aluminum inserts ( I have two styles with slop and without slop)
The balsa cap on the end of the flaps will be cut off after the bagging with fiberglass.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »
I was playing with the flaps horn.
It is twistable Adjustable about 5 degrees 10 degrees total with infinite adjustability. This will eliminate the need of an outboard Trim tab and all the work that it involves.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »
Awesome stuff Dorin! H^^ That stuff looks more like fine jewelry than a control system....very nice!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:53:34 AM »
Wow.  That is impressive.  Are you selling that control horn assembly?  I want one (if I can afford it).
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
Howard

This setup is designed for an electric plane or one that does not use a tuned pipe. The reason behind the long legs for adjustment is to have a easy reach through a small hatch under the plane that allows me or the end user to easily reach the legs for adjustment. Of course a tuned pipe setup would look completely unlike this one. The adjustment leg would go perhaps 30 degrees up to allow the pipe and the pipe tunnel and a hatch for adjustment. Or plan B would be to use this set up and bias the control close to one side say the outboard and bias the pipe a bit on the inside wall with a much shorter under leg for the adjustment.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
The work is on the way.

I have started the construction.

Since the work will be done by the machine I have transferred the physical work to the PC work. The first thing I do is to break down the design in to smaller pieces that I want to work on. For this example it will be the Wing tip. So what I did was that I copied the tip shape and geometry on a new file. Then I reorient it inside the virtual CAD space. The master plan is to make the two halves like you would make a wheel pant then join them in the mold and add an insert on the base that way I can glue on to the wing tip. Because of that I need to align as I close the two halves. This will be accomplished using shoulder bolts. Then I created a cutter path loaded the part in the machine and I let the machine do it’s magic. Then 40 min later here we go we have a plug in our hands.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:05:54 PM by Dorin Morosanu »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 12:48:35 PM »
My next plane won't have a pipe, so there will be room for your flap control horn. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
You an see from the pictures what I did in real life. The stock material is cut to size then it is stacked up with plenty of extra then I cut it with the machine. After machining it is sanded off till the cutter marks disappear. I use a contrasting color marker to see what sanded off or not. These parts are not polished yet but soon they will be.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:41:11 AM by Dorin Morosanu »

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
I have spent the better part of last week to sand and polish the Corian molds. I will put some pictures in to show the progress. Also I made a decision to remake some of the original molds for the stab and stab tip to incorporate a better alignment.

Also new to this project I am punting the foam stab idea. It is still a great idea but I think it is a bit on the labor intensive it has more room for error and the finish may not end up flat because of the open cell light foam. Moreover it ads more work on the leading edge to blend in the vacuum bag creases. Consequently I decided to mold the stab surfaces too witch will become a lot more reliable and I am only swapping a foam core for a layer of .5o glass on the inside and the inserts become more compact witch will lower the weigh yet again.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 07:28:35 AM »
Hello Dorin,
Corian as a material for the master! I assume it machines nicely ... any hints for those of us contemplating this?
Was the sorian cheaper than trying to buy a big block of Delrin or just easier to obtain?
Thanks,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »
Corian has properties and advantages that Delrin or Aluminum does not have.
1 Corian is cheaper. I went on the Craig’s list and bought scrap countertops from people that throws them away and at 150$ and it was worth it.
2 Delrin can not be sanded polished or painted. If you need to make a mold this is critical for the release of the part.
3 Delrin is not a very stable material. As soon as you are cutting it you may have to re cut it to take the warp out from the stress relief. On the other hand Corian is very stable and much more rigid and brittle. 
4 Aluminum molds are nice but it takes 4 times more to cut and then there is the sanding buffing that you have to deal with. I would still be sanding a small mold now a week after I cut it.
5The only bad thing about Corian is that you have to stack it up in .5in increments and glue it together. After you cut it you may have to fill in a few spots here and there but this is still a lot easier than buffing a billet of aluminum for weeks.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
Sir ... you are a genius!
later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
I have spent the last week or so polishing the molds on hand. This was done in maybe 2-3 hours of sanding and polishing a night. The fuse was done a while ago using another technique i was using Brodack white primer. It worked fine but I do not think it is necessary.

Note all the mating surfaces are built in to the fuse mold and the attachment is flat on flat

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Dorin

Awesome work  - I for one cant wait to see this thing progress further

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »
Are you going to make parts over the male molds, or will you cast female molds from them?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
I will make molds from these plugs.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
I am trying to lay out some PVA on the mold plugs but it comes out with fish eyes orange peel , I can use some tips here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:11:42 AM by Dorin Morosanu »

Offline Peter Holmes

• New Pilot
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »
I am trying to lay out some PVA on the mold plugs but it comes out with fish eyes, I can use some tips here.

Did you use a silicone based polishing compound? - Make sure all the residue from polishing is removed - It will be the silicone that is causing you the problem - tho I could be wrong.

Regards
Peter

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »
Peter I was wrong it is the Orange peel problem that I have.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »
I think I found a solution. The problem here is heat and dust. So what I will try is my big cooler I have at home with a few ice cubes in side. I will spray the mold upside down and will put the plug right in the cooler. Moreover i will thin out the PVA with 40% water to help with it laying out a bit flatter. I can't wait to go home today.  :)

Yes it did work. 1part PVA 1/2part water. One mist super thin coat like you air brush it on the mold. Make sure it is dry before one more thinset wet coat of PVA you can put on folowed by placing it in to the box with a bit of ice inside. If your shop is about 70 Degrees then skip the ice box my garage is about 85 degrees. Tomorrow I am starting the mold making process.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:23:00 PM by Dorin Morosanu »

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
Good news!
Dean Pappas

Offline Peter Holmes

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 12:50:24 PM »
Good to know you've got to the bottom of the problem Dorin  :) - I'm following this project with great interest, there's some really good engineering going on here. Wishing you all the success.

Regards
Peter

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
Here we go again.
I have punted the idea of PVA because it is way too unstable and it is hot here. Moreover my intention was to have a hard gel coat surface to work off of because in the past i had a bit of a problem with the material imprinted on the surface. But since i do not use such high pressures I decided that it is unnecessary. So I am keeping it simple for now.
This is what I call the MOLD MAKING FOR DUMMIES.
How much time do we spend to make a fiberglass mold? We start with PVA then Spray gel coat then we lay one layer at the time and then we have to stop and repeat the next day again and so on. At best in two or three days later we have a mold and sometimes we find that the excess resin has heated and pulled away the mold forcing us to remake it from the beginning.
Here is my two cent in to this.
1 Spray the release agent. Follow the instruction on the can. I use casting release agent made by Smooth-ON.
2 then I places foam on the edge on the mold. After the foam then I put the dowel pins which will help later with the alignment.
3 I mix the casting compound, with a power drill and the mixing attachment I bought from Home Depot, for about 2 minutes.
4 The hard part is to pour it in the mold. Be careful here. Do not to pour it very fast the slower you do it the more bubbles you eliminate.
That is it.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
One stop shopping place for the stuff pictured in the previous post.

http://www.theengineerguy.com

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »
Mr. Morosanu,
That's an absolutely FIRST CLASS job you have there. I'm speechless...
How nice is to see someone using State-Of-The-Art technology to build a CL Stunter! And THAT flap horn looks like a NASA thing!

Could this be the western answer to the Yatsenko's stunters?

I really wish you all the BEST with this outstanding project. (and I'm sure you will succeed).
I look forward to see more of it as you progress...

Best regards,
Claudio
ARGENTINA

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
Gentleman thank you for all the kind words.
Here we go after I let the mold cure overnight now I have the Mold. During the molding of the part process I will use the shoulder bolts to close the molds. Shoulder bolts have a precision grinded shaft built in to them so I use for both a bolt and as a dowel pin locator.
Now that I am sure that my process works I am ready to pour the other molds tonight.

Could this be the western answer to the Yatsenko's stunters?
This model is available on the market and the line is already forming.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 05:31:36 AM »
There is one thing I did not think about. That thing id the PVA I have is very old and it stayed in the basement probably even got frozen so because I still would like to have the gel coat on the mold today I will buy a new PVA but not the water based one I had in the past. Meanwhile I will start to make the molded parts for the tip etc. using the molds I have now. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two procedures.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
My observation of PVA vs. other mold releases is that the PVA is more reliable about releasing, but is thick and leaves a poor surface finish.  You are starting with nice molds, so I think you'll prefer the spray stuff. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
The problem with the spray stuff is that it does not allow me to use gel coat for a firmer work surface. But since I have a few molds already made without the gel coat I will try and see if it works like this. I f yes then It will make things a lot easier.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
Well I had a slow down in the building of the plane so far I think the pictures show exactly the cause of it.

14 Apr 2010 at 4:57 pm Alexander Kaitan Morosanu was born. Mama and Bebe are doing fine and there is a proud papa somewhere in there too.  #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

On the building side I still want to have a gel coat on the molds and had inconsistent luck with laying a nice coat of PVA. As a result I did get a semi permanent mold release for class A surfaces from REXCO and i will start to apply it on today. It is called Formula Five® semi-permanent mold release system.

I got a sample from them and it should last me for the whole project all I payed was 30$ for shipping.

http://www.rexco-usa.com/five.htm

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »
Dorin,

Congratulation.  Beautiful family. 

linheart

linheart

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:06 AM »
Wonderful, Dorin!
You and Mama do nice work ... a Scale model people.

all the best,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »
Funny but the consensus at my workplace is that ugly dads make cute Babies.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
I had to put a stop to insanity. You know try the same thing over and over again etc etc….
I wasted a few weeks trying to put PVA on my mold and use a less expensive gel coat and then I got some info and changed everything.
This is the most user friendly system that works for me. It is not cheap but it is so easy to use.
First the release system:
 It comes from REXCO and It is called Formula 5. This is a semi permanent mold release that bonds to the surface of the mold and it allows you to have multiple plus without having to reapply the release. It comes with more subcomponents there is a Formula 5 Cleaner, a Formula 5 Sealer and a Formula 5 Top coat. Read the instructions and apply it using paper towels. Dust is not an issue no spraying no bubbles the temperature is irrelevant and it has no thickness and it works all the time.
The only draw back is that the surface tension is so low the top coat has to be applied in thin layers on e after another but 2-3 thin coats will get the job done.
Second the gel coat:
The Gel coat I am using is an Epoxy based Gel coat and it is tough and thick that works well with the release system. This coat is applied in subsequent coats that are brushed on. I use a cheap 75c brush.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:30:38 PM by Dorin Morosanu »

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
Here is an example.
I am making my 2Blade 15x4.5 prop mold. This mold has been prepared with the formula5 semipermanent release system.
then i brushed on a thin coat of Gel coat. Then I made some foam walls that will be used as a dam for the casting material.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »
Ok I have wing tip molds made but the question is what is a good layout for such a part.
Some options include a balsa fiberglass layout. Other just fiberglass. I have weighted a carbon only and it came out to be about 14g plus resin witch I think is a bit heavy. But I keep coming back to the balsa and fiberglass sandwich  with has a small problem and that is the pre molding of the balsa.

Any suggestions here?

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
Well I had a slow down in the building of the plane so far I think the pictures show exactly the cause of it.

14 Apr 2010 at 4:57 pm Alexander Kaitan Morosanu was born. Mama and Bebe are doing fine and there is a proud papa somewhere in there too.  #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

Dorin:
Somehow I completely MISSED the announcement of your newest scale model.  God Bless Alexander and his family!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Thank you. Thank you very much!  #^ #^ #^

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
Dorin congratulation on the new addition.
As to tips, the molded balsa is the lightest that i have made.
The Yatsenko's are molding balsa skins with wing tip incorporated into wing panel.
a couple of photos of my current experimental wing.
A comparable system is with foam sheets 1/8" i will add a photo of material the Yatsenko's called this synthetic Balsa.
Jose Modesto

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
Jose we are on the same page here. I talked to Windy and he said that carbon is not the right material for the wing tip. Also he said that he best layout is .5 glass balsa .5 glass sandwich.
Thank you for the advice.
May I comment on your wing? It will be heavy.
You do not need ribs you do not need the carbon and if you worry about the wing collapsing because there are no ribs then use a couple of ribs at 33% an 66% of the span. Winy said that you only need .5 balsa .5glass. And that will do.

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Dorin this wing is only and experiment in combining Bob Hunt's the lost foam system and my shell construction. The ribs are from a Hunt lost foam jig if i was making my own i would use 5 ribs per panel as the SHARK uses.
 You would be surprised at what a Shark wing weight 9.5oz per panel that's 19oz for a finish wing and the model weighs 60oz ready to fly.
The carbon was used as all other parts (stab, fuse,flaps were made with carbon cloth and i wanted to build one with this material.
Dorin for me the gold standard is the Yatsenko SHARK and the new Sharks wings are made with molded balsa shells that include the tip as shown in my photo with 1oz/SY glass cloth inside and out, with 5 1/16" balsa ribs.
 Heavy is in the eye of the beholder. i want my model weight at 62 to 65 not any lighter,at 720 SI my wing loading is comparable to most Nats planes.
Included Photo of another use of the molded shell construction to build a built up wing.
Dorin working with the balsa and glass cloth the tips require multiple layers of glass cloth for stiffness i have already done this,as you are making separate wing tips this does not apply to your method.
Dorin your work is fantastic please keep posting your work its very informative.Dorin i added a third photo showing the balsa with glass cloth at the time i was making carbon fiber mat and glass cloth tips,now i mold in balsa and glass cloth
Jose Modesto
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:00:13 AM by jose modesto »

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
I have a lot on my plate when I get home today.

I have pre molded a piece of balsa for the wing tip and I can't wait to go home and see how it turned out. And the biggest question is did it dry out overnight? This is one of the milestones in my project. If it did I will mold a half wing tip today.

Also I have a bunch of molds prepped and ready to go. I have the release system on and the tooling gel coat and all that remains is to cast the molds.

The first infusion molding two blade prop is ready to go to so it will also be casted today.
Pictures will follow soon.

I am like a kid with a new toy.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
 #^ #^ #^
Success

The vaccum molding worked just fine. I have a dry part that has a super shape and it is ready to be molded in to a wing tip.

Advertise Here
Tags: build 

Advertise Here