News:

• June 01, 2024, 12:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But that's not a blimp!  (Read 719 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
But that's not a blimp!
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
Andy Borgogna and I went flying in the Tustin Blimp Hangar yesterday.  I don't know if anyone else has flown a complete pattern inside such a place, but we did!  We flew Andy's P-51 and Baby Pathfinder.  Used up all the batteries for both planes, 8 flights, I think.

There are some chalenges to such flying.  The overall lighting is kind of dim, and the ceiling and walls are dark, but with skylights the entire length of the building at two levels.  So you are constantly flashing the model in and out of different lights.  Makes keeping track of the model a trifle difficult!

In addition, the air is dead calm, so wake turbulence is a serious problem.

However, it was rewarding, as the free-flight guys and R/C guys were very interested, and happy to see a pretty unique event.

Tony Naccarato took one flight on the P-51 and really liked it!

If we didn't live here in So. CA with our great weather, we would probably fly C/L there again; however, our local park has much better lighting!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
Re: But that's not a blimp!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:31:23 AM »
It was an interesting experience flying control line indoors.  As Larry said the dead air did make for some exciting moments until we got use to it.  The second inside loop was thrilling, but after that we just took a step back after each pass and all was good.  The lighting was challenging, we kept moving the location around looking for a good backround to work against.   In the overheads we just flew through light and dark areas and lived with it. 

The area is so huge you can easily fly any size airplane in there.  The floor is three hundred feet across, the ceiling if one hundred and seventy feet high and the length is at least a thousand feet long.  It is so big it has it's own climate, outside was warm and sunny, but inside we had to wear jackets.

As Larry said I prefer to fly outdoors at our local park the scenery is so much nicer.  It was interesting to say the least.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
Wish we had something like that here in the KC area.   I think I could get used to it.   Well Santa said I was too bad and I didn't get the kit set up I wanted.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
Hi Doc
Go to the link below and check out what was going on Monday.  The red P-51 and clear 1/2a Pathfinder are mine and the R/C P-51 with the checkered cowl is Larry Renger's.  Not sure which of us was flying it when the picture was taken but we both had fun with it.  We both flew my two planes as well.
Andy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44670670@N02/6580353607/in/set-72157628586372885/

Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
I see nice pictures of hawks.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »
I seen the beautiful hawks also and then got to going back.  Some unusual free flight stuff there.  Will go back and look at the rest of the pics when I get off here.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
Well I went back to look at some more of the free flight planes.   Finally by hitting the previous icon I found the pictures.   The E-Pathfinder looks great in the air.   Now Andy, looks like you are down in the dumps and are you trying to copy my dressing style? LL~ LL~ LL~  Was going to retrive the pics and try to post here, but that is a private site. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »
No Doc I'm anything but down in the dumps. :)  I have a great wife, a great life and a great friend in Larry Renger.  My problem is I don't dress well. ~^  I will never win any beauty contests, but I have never been happier.

Happy New Year my friend and I hope to see you in March at VSC.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
Well, at least your wife thinks you are "cute".  >:D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here