News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repitch of APC E props  (Read 725 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Repitch of APC E props
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
Just a quick note about the APC E props and repitching them. I just finished setting up an 11x5 and 12x5 from an 11x5.5 and 12x6. These props repitch very easily with an ordinary monokote heat gun. For those who have not done this first the "Disclaimer" as always do this at your own risk. Now the APC props all repitch well, I have done this for props used on IC piped setups, 4strokes and now electrics. The E props repitch the easiest as the hub and blades are thinner and easy to heat.

The method I use is to first set up the pitch gauge (Prather is the brand I use) for the pitch I want at the 75% blade station from the hub (i.e. on a 12" diameter prop I set the pitch for station 10 on the gauge (this is about 3.5 inches out from the hub center). I set the blade measuring bar at the desired pitch at this station and clamp it in place with a small "C" clamp. By clamping it you get the same pitch for both side of the prop. To repitch I heat the blade from the hub out about 1 1/2 inches on both side of the blade moving the heat around this area. With the heat gun on high it only took 50 sec of heat (25 each side) to get it warm enough to tweak. To tweak the blade I have it installed on the pitch gauge mount (this is removable from the base of the pitch gauge) and holding the center in one hand, put a small rag (or wear a glove) on the other blade then grab it about mid blade and twist in the direction you want to move the pitch. It only takes a small twist, I then put the prop on the pitch gauge and check the pitch. It only takes a couple trys to develop the feel for how much to twist but it is best to start small (I'd say the twist is about 1/16", you kinda twist and release) don't gorilla it. Once you get the first blade cool it, either just blow on it or use a wet rag. This sets the new pitch. Do the second blade the same way.

Some guys like to check and set up several stations along the blade but I have found that the 75% rule works very good.

Best,          Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Repitch of APC E props
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »
Interesting observation on the efficiency of the APC E props. They are undercambered and by being very thin they produce a lower load then the equivalent "wet" prop and therefore have a higher effective pitch. In testing the A123 battery /AXI2820/8 package I started with an 11x5.5 APC-E that I depitched to a 5. This had poor thrust in the 625sq in, 57oz test ship. Testing a 12x6 APC E was to much load (amps) for this package. I made up an 11.5x4.5 APC E (I thought I had set it up as a 5.5 pitch but was off one station on the pitch gauge) this dropped the amps to 40 and the thrust was unbelievable. The lap time with the 11x5.5 was 5.5sec, with the 11.5x4.5 the lap time was 4.57sec and it pulled the ship up top with total authority. I am now reducing the rpm to 8800 to get the lap time with the 11.5x4.5 down to 5.0 and get the run time to 5min 45sec (it was running 5min 38sec, a little tight for me). Point is the construction of the APC E props gives higher thrust and more speed than the indicated raw pitch stated on the prop.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
Hi Dennis,
It sounds like you're sneaking up on it!
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »
You really need to repitch the tips too.  I found that repitching a Master Airscrew 10/7 (effectively a 10/5.5) down to 3.75 at the midpoint of the blade brought the tips down to about 1 in. of pitch.  Especially for electric, true helical pitch from near the root all the way to the tip makes the prop much more efficient.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here