News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Relative Efficiency of throttle in ESC's  (Read 2204 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
Relative Efficiency of throttle in ESC's
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »
In one of the other threads, Igor B. and I were talking about the efficiency of flying around at partial throttle. I made a comment that I was seeing roughly 5% effects in power usage by flying at partial throttle as opposed to using something closer to WOT (of course at the same rpm level).

To make it clearer, what I mean, is suppose you can fly the full pattern at a rpm which makes you happy---using a 3s battery. Is there any penalty hit by replacing the 3s with a 4s battery and leaving the motor alone, and still targeting the same rpm level? Another way of looking at this is suppose you have a 4s battery, is there any reason to try and optimize the motor by choosing a different e.g. lower--kV motor to match the 4s voltage?

Just to check this out again, I setup a test bench in the basement with my Scorpion 3020-16 motor. I mounted an APC 11-5.5 prop and ran the setup in a pusher mode--just to keep the "breeze" blowing away from all my setup stuff. I used my standard Castle Creation Phoenix 35 running in rpm governor mode (I think set at 7950 rpm). It turns out that the 11-5.5 prop running statically more or less gives the same power levels (~250 watts) that my E-Nobler uses in level flight with the APC12-6 TE prop (at same rpm).

The following narrative refers to the attached plot.

I first connected a 4s2100mAHr pack to the setup and ran for about 4 minutes. The battery voltage is shown in the white trace. After that, I quickly took off the 4s and put on a 3s4200 pack and started it back up again. This I ran for about 7 minutes until I finally detected the rpm to start to drop. At that point I was presumably at WOT since the governor couldn't keep the rpm at the set value--the battery voltage had sagged. Unfortunately for this plot, my Eagletree data recorder had run out of memory, so you don't see the rpm sag, but please take my word that the battery voltage was only a 0.1V lower than what you see in the white trace at the end of the plot.

The power draw for both batteries is the light blue trace. You can see that when using the 4s pack, the average power was 248 watts, and with the 3s pack, the average power was 237 watt, or 11 watts different. I will also note that the average rpm for the 4s pack was 7969 rpm and the 3s pack was 7954 rpm (15 rpm lower). Ignoring this slight rpm difference and attributing the full 11 watts to the intrinsic inefficiency of the throttle (not completely obvious that this is ok--but it gives the maximum inefficiency), I see that the efficiency difference is ~5%, which I am thinking is pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things!.

The yellow trace is just the average current in amps. Since the ESC was basically at WOT at the ~11 minute mark, that says my motor current at ~7050 rpm is about 23 Amps.

Since the battery volts at 11 minutes is ~10.2V (at WOT), I think that means when I am flying a 4s pack with this motor, (pack voltage ~14V near end of flight), my throttle setting is just ~10V/14V or ~70% during level flight.

There are some curiosities in the plots that I don't fully understand, especially the lower power usage at the beginning of the flight at full rpm (seen with both packs). I am guessing it is some ESC heating but am not sure.

Also there are some other side effects to using a "mismatched" motor/battery pack, mainly in battery heating which isn't really shown in this data, but in general it certainly looks like we can getaway with reasonable mismatches in motor kV (too high) and pack voltage (also can be "too high").

Finally I note that I can't use a 3s pack in a real flight with this motor since I need the extra throttle capability to handle the higher power during the maneuvers. So any attempt to match the kV a little better would bring less than 5% since you always need that extra "oomph" of more throttle when you pull the nose up.

Alan Hahn

Re: Relative Efficiency of throttle in ESC's
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »
Just a small comment.

Even though saving 11 watts out of ~220 watts isn't a big deal for efficiency, but if that is all going into heat in the ESC, that is a llttle bigger deal -  not a lot but it is a fair amount of heat the ESC needs to shed. I'm not positive what my motor efficiency ( (power to prop)/(power from ESC) )is (lets say 80%), but that says about 40 watts is being dumped in the motor. So the little ESC does need some cooling too.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
I dont have the option, but I wonder what would show if you were to turn the same rpm with two different kv motors. say using a 900 kv motor on the 4s and an 1100 kv on the 3s so that both props turned the same rpm. This could be enlghtening as well. I hope to do this with my hacker setups in the future.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »
I dont have the option, but I wonder what would show if you were to turn the same rpm with two different kv motors. say using a 900 kv motor on the 4s and an 1100 kv on the 3s so that both props turned the same rpm. This could be enlghtening as well. I hope to do this with my hacker setups in the future.

Mark,

Basically there is no difference between 750kV on a 4s and 1000kV on a 3s---assuming the same motor, just wound differently (3/4 the number of turns of the 750kV motor on the 1000kV).

It is easy to show this.

What matters with regard to torque is just the current times the number of winds. In terms of coil resistance, the heating is just I2R. The 3s will use 4/3 the current that the 4s requires. The resistance of the 4s will be (4/3)2 of the 3s (4/3 longer because 4/3 the # of winds, and another 4/3 due to the wire cross-sectional area being smaller (more winds demand a higher gauge # to pack the wire into the teeth). So the net motor heating ends up just the same.

Also if batteries were fungible, the 4s cell would be 3/4 the size and weight of the 3s cell, and the "C" would also scale correctly (3/4). The only difference is that the 3s setup should use slightly larger wire and a larger ESC than the 4s setup.

The larger ESC (45A instead of 35A for example) will cost more, which is a negative on the 3s solution.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
interesting Alan,
what I am really after is this, IN THEORY if I have a 4270 mah battery (which I do, actually four of them) and it works with my 900 kv motor and a 12x6 prop to fly the pattern. If I switch to a 12x4 prop and a motor that has a kv of 1100, when I get the plane flying the same lap times as the 900 kv motor was doing, would I still be using the same approximate amount of the battery capacity spinning the prop up at a proportionately higher rpm. Realizing that there are variables of course. I am after an approximation. I plan on doing physical testing, I have both motors, and systems, just need something besides 35 degree weather, IM a light weight on temperature outside, lol
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »
Mark,
That is a slightly different question. The new variable is the propeller efficiency.

Others may pipe in here, but if you fly the same flight speed (lap times equivalent), it means the props are making the same thrust in level flight. I believe the lower pitch prop (lets say an APC 12-6 vs APC 12-8--same prop, just different pitch) will be less efficient (use more motor power and also more battery power) than a slower turning higher pitch prop. I am not sure how much difference there actually will be.

That all being said, as you have mentioned before, level flight isn't everything in PA.

I also believe the thrust vs airspeed is steeper for the lower pitch prop (both equalized at the same thrust at the same lap time). A steeper slope means that as the nose is pulled up and the airspeed drops (rpm is held constant), the lower pitch prop will produce more thrust than the higher pitch prop (which is a desirable trait). The plots that I made using Prop Calc (posted under the "pointy head alert..." tread seem to show this. The corollary is when the nose is pitched down, the lower pitch prop will give more braking as the speed builds up (also rpm held constant). The real issue is how big a deal it is.

Anyway as everyone knows, everything is a trade off. Efficiency and thrust are two items to play with. In the end it is what makes us comfortable.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »
Alan
thats the direction I am thinking, the increase in thrust, and braking. Hoping to be able to make it work with about the same ultimate current draw. at least to be within the range of my battery capacity.
I know your system is built around the smaller batteries you are using so that dictates to some extent what you do, as in your quest for max efficiency. When I get my new setup up and running, I will post findings.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »
Mark,

To some extent we have been making choices like this for a long time.

Warning--opinionating going on!
For example, I have no doubt that those nice thin carbon fiber props (large diameter) people use with glow engines really do provide more thrust in the vertical than typical wood or APC-like props. But for me, personally,  the question is whether $40 for a prop "worth it". An electrical equivalent is battery cost. For a Nats competitor or a really serious stunt flyer---I know their answer! However I think it does a disservice to newcomers to insist that only the best (and costliest) hardware is necessary to fly at the "regional" Expert level ---sorry if I insulted anyone--I am at best at the bottom of the "regional" advanced level! LL~

However for a lot of us, we can do quite a lot with more reasonable cost equipment. Yes, not the best, but "good enough".

Also we all have our own personal interest that we are following. That's what makes the hobby so much fun!
opinion off!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »
Here is an oscilloscope trace that we made on Wednesday night of the motor current when the ESC was at partial throttle. We used a Hall Current probe that clamped onto one of the three motor leads. What you see here is one commutation cycle where the particular lead was on. The sharp spikey traces are just the Phoenix default 12kHz current spikes going into the motor. You should ignore the dipping of the baseline---the probe was AC coupled which gives rise to this instrumental effect (in other words, this is not what the motor is seeing. The horizontal scale is 200 microseconds  per major division or about 2 milliseconds for the entire trace. 12kHz just gives 83 microseconds between pulses.

I am guessing that the throttle was about 20-30% on based on how long it takes the pulse to rise from the baseline to the peak--compared to the time to the beginning of the next spike.

To be honest, I was somewhat surprised by this picture. If you look at any one spike, you can see it has a risetime to the peak and a fall time. This is (I think) just the L/R (inductance of the motor phase divided by the resistance of the same (+whatever the ESC adds in). I had thought this was going to be longer than the spacing between the spikes. Obviously it isn't.

The vertical axis is related to the current, but I didn't note the conversion in the probe. I was running the motor with a 2s pack--just to keep the prop breeze (and amps) out of the worry zone.

So I learned something about how these ESC/motors work. Just to state the obvious, the overall motor torque is being provided by the individual torque impulses. The impulses are short enough in time and frequent enough so that it appears relatively smooth and continuous. The total time of the 16-17 pulses is 1.3ms, which is basically 1/14 of a revolution (1 of the 14 magnets), so the rpm should just be 60*/(14*1.3ms) or ~3300 rpm. I wish I'd brought my tachometer to check this, but it probably is consistent with the 2s pack at partial throttle.

I didn't make a screen dump of full throttle, but when I turned it on full (100%), the spikes got a little higher in amplitude and they just all merged together into a single longer pulse which equalled the commutation period--which also got shorter in time(in other words, the rpm increased at full throttle which makes the period shorter in time).

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
Poindexter,
Can you put this in street terms?    n~ n~

Thanks Alan.   H^^
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
Well look at it this way.

The purpose of an electronic speed control (ESC)  is --speed control! So how to do it.

One way would be to have a continuously variable voltage (like a power supply with a rotary knob). Max voltage would give max speed (rpm in a motor), and less voltage would give proportionally less. In the case of the motor, the electric current through the motor (which provides the torque) depends on the applied voltage.

The problem is how to make the variable voltage, or functionally equivalent a varying current. An obvious, but lousy choice, would be to drop the voltage with a variable resistor. The problem with this method is that you waste a lot of energy in the resistor (as heat = I^2*R, R being the resistor).

The way our ESC's are doing it is to chop up the current into short pulses. Each current pulse "kicks" the motor. The amount of "kick"(aka "impulse") is given by the length of the kick. The % throttle is just be the % time of the time "on" length to the "off" time.  If the kicks come fast enough (12kHz for the default Castle Creation Phoenix ESC setup) these discrete kicks will appear to be continuous. So in this way the ESC can vary the power put into the motor.

As I mentioned, what surprised me was a electronics detail. A judicious choice of rep rates (much higher frequency than 12kHz apparently!) would actually smooth out the current to almost a dc-like nature--rather than what you see in the scope trace. But given that the ESC is pretty darn efficient at partial throttle (at least no worse than the 4% I mention in the initial post of this thread.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 02:41:24 PM »
Yes Alan,
It sure looks like a higher chopping rate is in order. This will smooth the current into something that looks more like a constant flow equal to the average of what you measured. At the very least, the magnets will appreciate this! As you know, since power dissipated in the drive transistors varies as the average of the instantaneous current squared, rather than just the average current, this will reduce the inefficiency and ESC heating due to the transistors being "ON" and conducting the high peak currents.

On the other hand ... this adds more turn-on and turn-off transitions, and they also waste power. The only way tell whether raising the chopping rate helps is to do an A-B comparison of both motor and ESC temps at say 13 kHz and maybe double that. Watch you end up with mixed results: a cooler motor and warmer ESC! I'll bet that going up on the chopping rate above 20 kHz will cut down on the noise that some folks object to. Only the dogs will hear it then!

verry interestink!

Dean P.

Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »
Dean,
There are a couple of issues with your suggestion.
First the max rep rate is ~24kHz with my Castle Creations Phoenix, and I don't think that is short compared to what L/R is (just eyeballing it).--correction--now that I look, I see that I could set a rate in the 50kHz range--now I need to think about it, just for trying it sake!
Secondly the on resistance of the ESC is pretty small, but during the switching period, between "Off" and "On" you apparently go though a finite resistance which I have heard counts for much of the inefficiency (aka "switching losses") of the ESC.

On the other hand it perhaps is worth a trial run just to see what happens. Yet on my "other" other hand, I seem to be losing "only" ~4 or 5% of the total efficiency. Even more optimized would probably bring back a half of that (since I can't run at WOT at cruising speed if I want maneuvering power).

For me the interesting thing was to actually see what was going on. A little reality helps to cut down on the speculation!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:02:50 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 04:53:49 AM »
Allan, that is great :-)

That is why I wrote that the current is not smooth with PWM - now we see it measured. If you look to those sharp peaks, it is clear that the current did not reach Ri limited value - means the induction of the winding is big enough to limit the current peaks and we have them anyway :-). On other hand I clearly see that impulses are smaller in middle of phase because of higher BEMF  ;D

I do not know if you remember this thread from last year:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=8664.0

I measured motors with different KV. You can see similar difference in power in. Then I also measured the same at higher PWM frequency (32kHz).

I measured also Induction of those 4 motors:

axi 2826/12 ... 12

axi 2826/10 ... 7

MVVS 4,6/840 ... 18

XM 4250/840 ... 9

However I do not know if the measurement is well done because of leadouts between winding and multimeter, but those numbers are good at least for comparition

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »
Thanks Igor---I need to revisit some of those older threads. What scares me is that I usually learn something by reading my own posts! LL~

Offline CharlesF

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
Interesting! Looks like you have a TEK scope like mine, Alan  :)

I spent about 20 years of my life designing and manufacturing industrial variable speed drives, both AC and DC (but a bit bigger than we use, 1kW to 1MW)

On a synchronous motor like we use the speed is determined by the frequency of the supply (in controlled speed mode) and the current is largely determined by the load until such time as the supply voltage is no longer high enough to force enough current through the winding and the speed begins to drop.This is very simliar to a DC motor but here frequency = applied voltage (to the DC motor) As we know as the load is increased on a DC motor the current increases as the load increases, until limited by the drive, at which "constant current" or "constant torque" point the speed falls.

On Variable Frequency drives the current limiting is usually achieved by pulse width control, narrowing the applied pulses. This is OK but the when the pulses are narrow the form factor (difference between rms and average current) gets worse. RMS current rises and things get hotter for the same power.

I am not surprised that the power drain is higher on 4s - the motor magnetising current, due to the higher applied voltage, is higher. I'd say this additional power would be dissipated in the motor, not the controller. In industrail drives the voltage is controlled along with the frequency to give a constant V/F (voltage/frequency) to stop the windings saturating at low speeds. That is to say, as one decreases the speed (frequency) one also decreases the voltage (pulse width). I don't think our model SC's are that sophisticated, and there's really not much need either. When I do get into electrics I would really like to have a look at the current and voltage waveforms involved.

One of the reasons I am so interested in getting into electric is because of all those years in Indutrial Electronics and variable speed drives, and also a couple of years running a battery manufaturing factory (lead-acid though)

Cheers

Charles

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 05:22:52 PM »
Charles,
I think you are right about the motor eating up the power. The average "kick" is the same, but the heating is going as I^2, so it is less efficient--but not horribly so. Yet it is possible to squeeze a little more out!

Offline CharlesF

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 06:01:39 AM »
Charles,
I think you are right about the motor eating up the power. The average "kick" is the same, but the heating is going as I^2, so it is less efficient--but not horribly so. Yet it is possible to squeeze a little more out!

Alan

If you are interested I have a whole of pdf application reports I downloaded last year, on controllers for brushless motors.

I must say that AC motors and their drives are a deal more complex than the DC equivalent! When I have bought my bits (I think I'll go for the Phoenix 45) I have a current transformer I can put one of the motor leads through, and record it on my scope. Then I'll do some static runs on the bench.

Regards

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here