News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:52:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reduce amps on APC_E 12x6 prop mod  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Reduce amps on APC_E 12x6 prop mod
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »
Guys,

I have been working on getting the biggest prop I can on my new Excitation and have tested the APC_E 12x6 cut to 11 1/2x 5 3/4. This prop pulls and has an effective pitch of 7 @ 8600rpm. Problem is it also was pulling 54.5 amps static which is just on the edge of my A123 3s2p 4600mah pack. Well I did a little work on the back of the blade from the hub out about 2 ". There is a rather deep cup in this area with the trailing edge kicked up. The center of the blade adds very little to the pulling power of the prop and for the most part is just there to hold the outer half of the blade to the hub. This area needs to be streamlined and smooth. I sanded the trailing edge in this area to knock off this edge, it is only a small strip about 1/8" wide that gets sanded flat (not the whole trailing edge). Smooth off the edge top and bottom to remove the sanding flash and then wet sand with 600.

Result was the prop now pulls 50.5 amps at the same 8600 rpm. For me this is great and allows the full flight time.

Best,         Dennis

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Reduce amps on APC_E 12x6 prop mod
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
Dennis,
I am now playing with props on a mission of discovery?  HB~> HB~> ( see my post today in this section )I am really curious as to whether you noted any difference in flight as to the changes you made in the prop contours. Also I dont suppose you have a picture or sketch of what you did, the written description while apparantly complete is not as consise as I would like for my thickheaded approach. thanks
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
Hi Dennis,
My discovery has been that sometimes a narrowed prop will draw less current on the ground and almost eactly the same in the air. This has typically been in cases where I did exactly the same thing you did, by carving off the root trailing edge in a straight line from the knuckle in the APC prop to the mid span. in the wet series they used to sell a "butterknife" profile that did much the same.

Are you running at "idle" for the 30 seconds it takes to get to the handle? If not, then the change you made sure does save battery, as static current under governor mode is typically 140% of the flying current.
later,
 Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 06:05:32 AM »
Are you running at "idle" for the 30 seconds it takes to get to the handle? If not, then the change you made sure does save battery, as static current under governor mode is typically 140% of the flying current.
I'm simply leaving my motor off for the first 20 seconds after starting the timer. As long as I'm checking the leadouts, do my walking to the handle and checking the controls I need no power on the prop.... Saves a lot..... ;D

P.S. By the way...  I leave it in the hands of a capable helper or to the mercy of the stooge that I'm using .
I never leave a plane with the clock ticking alone on the field....  I can't afford a premature take off...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:21:51 PM by NED-088 »
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Advertise Here
Tags: props  pitch  E props  APC 

Advertise Here