News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: recycling batteries  (Read 687 times)

Offline Matt Curtis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
recycling batteries
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:03:50 PM »
How much does it cost to recycle batteries for an electric system and where can you do it?

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: recycling batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:37:44 AM »
How much does it cost to recycle batteries for an electric system and where can you do it?
Batteries Plus will accept LiPo batteries for Recycle.  Don't know if they charge for the service.  Check with your local store.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dave Edwards

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
My local Lowes has a used battery drop in the entrance. Reading the dropoff instructions, looks like model lipos would be ok to drop off.  Does anyone know if this is really ok?  If so it's easy, free and convenient.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »
Are we talking about 'discarding' them or 'recycling' them ?   I doubt there is anything left to 'recycle' or reclaim in them.  It is OK to discard them.  It is common sense to discharge them completely, first.  I use the NiCad discharge function on the charger - mine takes them down to 0 volts, at 5 amps. I do this several times, then twist the power leads together and tape them to the side of the battery.  They swell up pretty fat.  Then I let it cool completely and drive a nail through it, and throw it in the trash.  This method was described on RC Groups several years ago and I have never seen any updates to it.  There was some method that used salt water bath, but it was found that the tabs corroded off before the battery was completely discharged.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
It's so much more fun to skip right to the nail through the battery...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here