News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuilding a Vector 40 to ECL  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rebuilding a Vector 40 to ECL
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Converting an old vector 40 to electric - I needed to build a new fuse (due to wear and tear)  here are some shots of the nose section, mainly the battery tray and retainer  - the hatch on the top is held on by 2 carbon dowels at the front and a single magnet at the rear.

the reatiner is a 1/8th ply bar - reinforced with carbon tow and 1/8th ply triangle fillet, it slides over the battery and is held in place by the locking tab on the outboard side of the fuse -

there is a heap of cooling air the goes over the motor, battery and ESC - so should keep it all nice and cool

More pics as it get through it
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Rodrigo Mansano

• Ensign
Re: Rebuilding a Vector 40 to ECL
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:03:02 AM »
Hi Wynn!!! Congratulations! Your idea is very good!

Rodrigo Mansano
Brazil

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
Looking good Wynn, I can't tell - is that a front mount or rear mount motor installation?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
Dennis, front mounting for the motor - seems to be the way to go I think....here is a picture of it before I tidied up the nose and rebuilt the scoop (lopsided in this pic)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
Good looking installation.  I am tossing a coin between using a rear mount with a front bearing or just biting the bullet and using a front mount.  The angst I always have with a front mount is making it strong enough, but I guess mine have turned out all right.  Of course rear mount is a cinch.

Nice job with the Lipo mount too.  Centered like you did it will help get lots of free air space around it.  The revamped Vector gonna rock & roll!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
What!? No NACA scoop? ;D

It will work anyway......
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
Dennis,

My front mounts are pretty simple - I laminate two 1/8th ply squares together then cut out to allow airflow into the can of the motor - the mount is epoxied to the doublers and tied in with cabron tow. REALLY stong and not a lot of weight either.

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »
That looks great! Bare with me here-Dummy on-board; so front mount means the motor is on the forward side of the firewall and rear mount the motor is behind/aft of the firewall?

I've got a serious hankering to build an e-powered Vector so please do share some more pics if you don't mind. Thank you!

John
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
That looks great! Bare with me here-Dummy on-board; so front mount means the motor is on the forward side of the firewall and rear mount the motor is behind/aft of the firewall?

I've got a serious hankering to build an e-powered Vector so please do share some more pics if you don't mind. Thank you!

John

I meant it just the opposite.  To me a front mount is the mounting srface is ahead of the motor (usually just behind the nosering) with the bell of the motor behind the mount and the shaft of the motor poking through.  For me rear mount means like a regular firewall with the motor hanging out in front.

However your description sounded logical too,  wonder if anyone else sees it the same way?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »
Hi,
Dennis' explanation agrees with the commonly accepted convention.
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:21 AM »
Ok, so then I think when speaking of mounting the motor we're referring to the mounting point on the motor itself rather than the firewall. Ok, got it. Thanks!
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Scott Bauman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »
Any progress on the E-Vector?  My Vector kit is layed out on the building board and I'm working on ideas for the motor mount myself.
-Scott

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
Any progress on the E-Vector?  My Vector kit is layed out on the building board and I'm working on ideas for the motor mount myself.
-Scott

hey Scott -finished it ages ago - has since gone to another home

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=24130.0

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here