News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick simple battery discharge method - any ideas?  (Read 520 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Quick simple battery discharge method - any ideas?
« on: January 19, 2024, 09:23:31 AM »
Guys,
I find myself in a situation where I charged up packs the night before a planned flying session then in the morning found the weather closed out and no flying. The forecast now shows a blowout for the next week. This is the one thing I don't like about electric. You have to plan and charge then the weather has to cooperate. If timing goes wrong for a day or two you are still OK but a week or more can cause the pack to puff (you can get away with this a few times when the packs are new), so need to get them off full charge to preserve the life of the pack.

I want to discharge the packs but my charger takes way to long to get the job done. Anyone have a simple way to discharge packs to say 85% quickly?

Best,  DennisT

Offline AMV

• Commander
Re: Quick simple battery discharge method - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 10:18:09 AM »
Easy method of discharging a full pack in 5min 30s:
Connect to the model, press start, and hold on.

BONUS: all the shelves in the house will get dusted for free.

Cheers, H^^
-Andrey
Spice is the variety of life.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 10:37:20 AM »
Aokoda 150 watt discharger with 3D printed stand.  "Google it"
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 09:55:59 PM »
I have 3 of these units.  they work well.  However i made my own holder for the light bulbs.  Where did you get the printed stand?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 02:10:01 AM »
I have 3 of these units.  they work well.  However i made my own holder for the light bulbs.  Where did you get the printed stand?
Hi John,

I got mine on eBay at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363569727770

Just be aware it does not come with the battery balancer/discharger unit, which is sold separately. This is just the holder or fixture only.

Dennis

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 02:53:08 AM »
Printed it myself. I don't use the spreader bars. I glue the Aokoda unit to the stand.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3354174

Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline realSteveSmith

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 05:17:57 AM »
I want to discharge the packs but my charger takes way to long to get the job done. Anyone have a simple way to discharge packs to say 85% quickly?

Best,  DennisT

Dennis,

Have you considered a different charger?  Several of the Junsi iChargers will discharge at up to 45amps, with a secondary resistor bank connected (while still balancing the cells in the pack).  This makes short work of even fully charged packs, when it comes to returning them to storage voltage levels.

An added benefit to the iCharger is that you can also charge at these same high current levels.   This allows you to gang your packs up in parallel and charge multiple packs in the same time it normally takes to charge just one.
AMA 175438

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 08:59:21 AM »
I have a Thunder Power TP610C-ACDC charger. I found this video on YouTube ()  that goes through all of the operating modes. I found that the discharge mode can go faster than I thought. Going to the max discharge allowed for the Lipo battery seems to be able to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here