News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about power draw when motor unloads.  (Read 588 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Question about power draw when motor unloads.
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »
Is there a ballpark number that represents the percentage of static launch power that the motor draws in the air when it unloads.  Basically if I launch at 220watts what can I expect that to drop off to in the air?  I know there are many variables in this equation, prop diameter and pitch, motor kv, even air density.  I am hoping that somebody has a general number that can be used.  I guess this is the kind of data that can be downloaded from the high end CC ESC's. 
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Question about power draw when motor unloads.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
Hi Andy,
If and only if you are talking about RPM governed operation, then:
In-air level flight current is roughly 3/4 of the value when static.
Current in a climb will be just a little less than the static value if you have a fast/high gain governor, and current in a dive will be maybe half of the climb value.

Hope that helps,
 Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
Great input!  Andy and I are trying to get a handle on this from the standpoint of helping Eric Rule develop a number of different power level systems.  Currently, we are working on a system to power what would be a "wet" .15 size model.  350sq.in., 52' x .012 lines.  Since we want a lowest cost package, we need to learn how to understand the variables and select the hardware appropriately.  At present we have a nominal 220 watt motor of 1100 kv. and are fiddeling around with props trying to get it to drain 1760 mAH from a 2200mAh battery while being able to fly the pattern in about 5.5 minutes.  It looks like the APC 9x6 e prop may be the trick, though it may need to be trimmed to get the drain perfect over the flight time.  The 8x6 didn't pull the freight and left a lot of milliamp-hours on the table.  A 9x4.75 prop cut down to 8.5" seemed to work ok, but not exactly available in the local 7-11.

Since we are newbies to this, we may be off the mark on what kv motor and prop to use.  The drain and battery figures are from theory, and seem to be working out.  We are very close to a satisfactory system, but, being the bright lads we are, would love to understand the theory better.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
Thanks Dean, I agree with everything Larry said except for the "bright lads" part.  I have two electric projects on the table right now just waiting for my hand to heal so I can finish them.  We are slowly getting away from the "trial and error" mode and more toward an analytical process.  As Larry frequently says "Empirical data" always trumps "Theoretical data" but we would like to be close to what is needed when we take the plane to the field.  Thanks again for your help.
Andy :)
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
It looks like the APC 9x6 e prop may be the trick, though it may need to be trimmed to get the drain perfect over the flight time.  The 8x6 didn't pull the freight and left a lot of milliamp-hours on the table.  A 9x4.75 prop cut down to 8.5" seemed to work ok, but not exactly available in the local 7-11.
Have you experimented with the speed setting on the timer or governor?  Turning the speed down should have some of the same effect as de-pitching the prop, and should be easier than hacking the thing down.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »
Unfortunately, we needed MORE speed, not less.  Thus experimenting with 6" pitch props.  Went to fly this morning, but got blown out by the Santa Ana winds.  It was even too windy for my RC sailboat!
 HB~>

DesignMan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
Yes, I was suggesting that you use the 9x6 prop, and turn down the governor RPM to get the lap times/current draw you want.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
We had the Sky Sport 350 out yesterday and got some good flying done.  Cut the lines to 50' and used a 9x6 prop.  Also got some good data on power unloading.

Ground power consumption was 249 Watts.

After the flight, we got the following numbers:  1862 mAh consumed in 6min 22sec.  When you calculate that out you get a current of 17.55 amps.  Assuming a steady voltage of 11 Volts, the power is 193 Watts or a drop to 77% of the ground number. 

The flight time was too long, so when we shorten it to the 5 minutes we need, we can load up the motor with more prop.  I will hunt for 10x6 and 9x7.5 e-props.

Once we get this combo where we want it, I have a higher kv motor of the same power rating to experiment with.  I would love to have a higher revving, lower pitch prop to give more punch in the corners.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here