News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quantum Motors, Have you used one?  (Read 710 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Quantum Motors, Have you used one?
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
Hi Gang,

Does anyone have any experience with these inexpensive motors? TIA

Quantum 2826/05   (equiv to AXI 2826/10).......$56.00
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

Re: Quantum Motors, Have you used one?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:14:23 PM »
Short answer is no.
Longer answer is that I looked it up and was reasonable impressed because it includes everything you need to mount the engine and go. I was always ticked off with how little you get with an AXI. In the same way I have gone to the Scorpion brand of outrunner.

Still a longer answer is that you have to ask where they (mainland China probably) can make up the cost differential of about a factor of 2 when you include the extra AXI radial mounting hardware. #1 I guess is the labor to wind the coil and glue in the magnets, #2 the materials ---how good are the Neodymium magnets, how thin are the laminations, how good are the bearings (probably a reasonable difference here)....
Since the only thing that rotates is the passive components (the outer shell and magnets), my guess is that you probably won't go wrong here. I also believe that CL really isn't pushing the envelope on these components and that our average power dissipations are far below what some RC guys might do to these motors (sort of the CL-RC equivalent of 20% oil fuel and Cruel Power arguments!)

The other issues are efficiencies, and here the AXI's might win, but I bet it isn't as big a deal as choosing the right prop!

Go for it!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the input. I had a friend who wants to get into ECL ask me about them. I sent him to Randy Smith for timers, and my friend says that Randy sells these, in addition to the AXI motors.

I agree with you. My guess is that AXI will have to start including their mounting system soon, or lowering their price. My new, very nice, Hacker 40 comes with the mount, two prop mounting systems, one spinner nut, and one fan on the back. My E-Flight motors also come with the mounts and spinner, and the connectors are already soldered on. The ACE motors also come fully ready to go. And ALL these motors cost the same as the AXI motor without the extra stuff.

I still prefer the motors from Germany or Eastern Europe to those from China. I don't mind paying more for them. Even though the odds are slim, One motor failure in the wrong spot could cost a plane, and a $170 battery. How does that go: "penny wise, pound foolish"?  n1

But, they do look like a good alternative for someone wanting to "try out" ECL with the lowest entry costs. Randy has them in many different sizes in case anyone is interested.

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »
Hi Gang,

Does anyone have any experience with these inexpensive motors? TIA

Quantum 2826/05   (equiv to AXI 2826/10).......$56.00

HI Rudy

That motor list for $85.54, and is a very good and well built motor, I sell these at the 56.00  discount price, it also comes with hardware that is missing in the AXI, which I also sell,
KMS has a large line of electric motors. You can see many of them on the AERO Products page here on StuntHangar

REgards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here