• March 28, 2024, 10:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pwm  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Pwm
« on: November 13, 2021, 08:40:16 AM »
What is the setting for PWM on castle ice 50 light I’ve been using 12 but 8 is suggested?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Pwm
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
In my experience PWM setting has very little effect. (Not strictly F2B, just electrics in general)
In general however, higher PWM shifts heat from motor to esc, and visa versa.
Going from 8 to 12 is just playing at the margins.To see large effects you need big changes in PWM, like order of magnitude changes.
MAAC 8177

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »
In my experience PWM setting has very little effect. (Not strictly F2B, just electrics in general)
In general however, higher PWM shifts heat from motor to esc, and visa versa.
Going from 8 to 12 is just playing at the margins.To see large effects you need big changes in PWM, like order of magnitude changes.
.          Thanks I guess I'm going for 8 Khz
Larry

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 05:12:05 PM »
I've been using 12 Khz pwm for many years with Ice lite 50 and Edge Lite 50 and never had a problem.

Motorman 8)
.          so have I.  but I am having problem with a ESC Edge lite 50, so I ask Castle tech and he mention that I can run it at 8 Khz and would be cooler.  my problem is it goes thru all the beginning cycle, then it wold just shutter and not run, I tried checking program settings and still not run, install another Esc from another working plane and it works. not motor or timer {ESC}  HB~>
Larry

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 05:59:38 PM »
The symptoms you describe are not related to the pwm setting.
Having said that, Patrick is correct, higher frequency will lead to higher heat due to increased switching losses. I teach seminars on that subject, but I doubt many people here would make it through the full 4 hours...

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 06:17:56 PM »
I doubt many people here would make it through the full 4 hours...
Sober?

I had a Castle Edge Lite 50 do the same thing.  When I called Castle they sent me another one no questions asked.  Must be/have been a known problem to them.  I always try and have two of everything electronic.  Only real way to know which component is failing.  Had a Huben timer go bad and they never go bad.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 08:19:16 AM »
If it was working good for a long time then it seems there's been some kind of failure that can't be fixed with different settings but they might prevent failure on the new unit if they were heat related.

Motorman 8)
.    no it was a new one, replaced it with an older one that worked and every thing work, so the new one was the problem
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:57:18 AM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here