Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Puzzle  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Puzzle
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »
Hello,
The system containing Cobra 2820/12 with APC 11x5.5 E Multiprop and Cobra 40+ ESC is behaving in a weird way. Specifically, both components are getting warmer and warmer with every flight of my eParrot. Two days ago, I have made five 5 minutes flights and could feel this.
I am using KR governor set for: start delay=31 seconds, RPM=~9,930, flight time=5 minutes and gain=3.

Anticipating the question: the rest period between flights was about 10 minutes and this allowed both components to return to the ambient temperature (21 deg.C).

During the last flight the motor simply stopped mid-air and I barely saved the model with minor damage. I run to the model and put my finger tips on the motor (it is rear mounted and almost completely exposed to the incoming air for better cooling). It was no longer very warm like after fourth landing-it was hot! ESC was maybe not as hot as motor but much warmer than after fourth landing. I have measured the ESC temperature using the probe and it was ~140 deg.F (60 deg. C) on the surface of the ESC aluminum heat sink (I have removed the part of the ESC shrink tubing directly above the heat sink). Heat sink is exposed to the air flow inside the fuselage. The motor temperature readings were inconclusive but between 130 and 150 deg.F (55 to 65 deg.C).

Cobra ESC has the Over Temp Protection: Shuts down the ESC output if temperature exceeds 230F (110C).

???????????

For the last 65 or 70 flights of eParrot, I was using 4S 3000 mAh batteries and the same propeller (11x5.5 APC E Multiprop.), turning at 9,860-9,900 RPM.

Please see the attached. The static current during this bench test was acceptable and the average in-flight current is always smaller ( 3/4 Rule).

I will be bench testing the system today trying to solve this puzzle.

Is this possible that the ESC is slowly dying for...whatever reason and allows for higher current to pass to the motor now than before?

The motor has 40 Amps continuous current limit.

Your suggestions and comments are always appreciated.

Regards,
Matt

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
What is the run time in the air and what is the replacement amps for that run time.  Easy to get average amp use in the air from that and see if it has changed.

From your other thread the plane is  " 49.3 oz. RTF weight, 560 sq.in wings with flaps."  That is a fairly small motor and low weight/mass and can heat quickly, in spite of the stated motor specs. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:06:56 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
Hi Fred,
Hi Motorman,

The run time in the air is 5 minutes.
Charging the 4S 3000 mAh batteries last time (Aug.16) , I "poured in" on average 2330 mAh per battery (the max was 2352, the min was 2309).

5 minutes=0.08333 hour. 2.33/0.0833=~28 Amps average in the air. This number fits my "3/4 rule" quite well.

I have used the Cobra specs. and, like always, made current the most important parameter defining the motor.
Cobra 2820/12 has the maximum static current =40 Amps. and considering that the average current in the air on 11x5.5 E Multicopter prop. is close to 28 Amps., I have considered this motor satisfactory.

I have made 60-70 flights with this motor during the last two and a half month and, until Aug. 09, 2017, there was no problem. After landing, the ESC was warm to the touch (but not hot) and the motor was less than warm.

On Aug.09 the motor stopped in the air in the middle of the vertical eight.
I managed to save the plane and noticed that the motor was very warm.

I have to admit that this fact did not raise the red flag and I went home suspecting my timer (KR governor) and re-programmed it. My reasoning was that perhaps the timer's memory accumulates the minute errors and, by analogy to PC, has to be erased during re-booting. This suspicion remains still only a suspicion - I cannot prove it.  Keith Renecle, that I communicate to very often, was not sure either what was the root cause of the sudden motor stoppage in the air.

Then, I went flying again and had a minor crash, easily repairable, after the motor stopped again in the air when I was upside down.

I run to the model and put three fingertips on the motor (it is exposed and easily accessible), said "Ouch...." and removed by hand quickly. The motor was hot!

Please see the attached.

I have made this static run a moment ago and, in the end, the motor was so hot I could smell something (resin?). The ESC was warm but not very warm.

I know now the motor is dying but I still do not know why.

Patrick MacKenzie made a suggestion that perhaps the magnets are getting weaker, this increases the heat, this makes the magnets weaker and so on.
Keith Renecle said recently the same thing.

Motorman,
I am using 4S. With 16.6 Amps the plane would barely fly level with no wind.
Bearings seem to be ok. as there is the same amount of the side and longitudinal shaft play as two month ago. There is also no extra friction while rotating the shaft by hand.
The prop is APC 11x5.5 E Multicopter. It weights 18 grams (0.64 oz.) and has a smaller hub and a bit wider and thinner blades that "ordinary"
APC 11x5.5 E.
Yes...9,930 RPM is high and apparently too much for Cobra 2820/12 working like this motor was working during last two month.

Last 20 or so flights were done when the ambient temperature was around 70 deg.F. I am flying usually between 6:30 and 9:00AM and this Summer is not very hot in Toronto,Canada.

When the motor started heating up, I extended the breaks between flights to 15 minutes.

It was enough for the motor to cool down to the ambient temperature.

I am considering 2826/12 and the same prop. but the flight time will have to decrease to 4 min.30 seconds to protect the 80% mAh drain rule for the batteries.

Thanks,
M

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »
Consider this thread with the 28 series

https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/help-with-motor-overheating!/msg408846/#msg408846

You may better exposure and airflow, but the 28 series may run hot, suggested in that thread.  Can you fit the 3515 series suggested?
Fred

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »
Check the motor bearings and see if they are dragging.  A long shot, but worth a look.
Jim Vigani

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 07:30:12 AM »
Fred,
I have read the entire thread about 28xx motors and I know now that 2826/yy may and probably will get hot but, judging from Paul Walker's entry:
"Crist,
I ran Eflite32's for about 3 years. They ran at 140 degrees F. PERIOD.
At one time I thought that was too high, and set about to cool it. I put in baffles, ran a vented spinner, ran with no spinner, no cowl, etc. The motors were all rear mounted (because there were different planes), and all ran at around 140 degrees no matter what I did. I gave up and just lived with it. The result, I ran a single motor for over 2 years with no issues until the bearings finally went. It had maybe 600 to 700 flights on it. I don't think that was too bad.

I now use the Cobra 3520 and it runs cooler. But is that going to make it last longer???
If you are in the 130 to 140 range, I would not worry about it."

Hi jfv,
I think your long shot reached the target. Please see the attached photo.
Cobra2826/12 I have used for the last two and a half months is on the left. Lets call it old motor. It was rear mounted.
New Cobra2826/12 unpacked ten minutes ago is on the right. Lets call it new motor. It is ready to be rear mounted.

When I turn the shaft of the old motor by hand CW and CCW, it turns with MORE jerky resistance than the shaft of the new motor.

Also, the longitudinal shaft play when I pull and push the shaft of the old motor is a bit larger than the same play in the new one.

Yesterday, I did not compare the old one to the new one - I was only checking the old one.

My guess for now is as follows:
1. the old motor bearing/bearings are already partially damaged by the gyroscopic moment developing in sharp corners after only 60-70 full Pattern flights (!!).
2. The heat build-up I noticed is caused by the increased rolling resistance mostly of the REAR bearing as the heat is concentrated in the green part of the motor immediately after landing.
3. I cannot exclude the possibility that there exists a gradual weakening of the magnets, resulting in ADDITIONAL heat buil-up but we will probably never know what proportion of heat comes from the partially damaged bearing/bearings and from weakening magnets fighting the increased bearings resistance.

I will statically test the system with the new motor today and will publish the results in this thread. During this test, I will keep the original high RPM (9,930) for the same time as yesterday for proper comparison.

9,930 RPM will be decreased to 9,840 after that and I will fly.

Conclusion: if the bearing/bearings in the old motor are indeed the root cause of the problems, I will write directly to Innov8tive Design Lucien Miller with questions and asking for comments. We all know that the average quality of many Made in China products is poor but how low can this quality go before these products became practically useless shortly after we purchase them? I feel this statement pertains not only to the C/L Stunt flying.

Regards,
M
"Learning that you screwed up is painful but learning that somebody else screwed up and you paid for it is...(please insert the word of your choice)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Hello again,
I believe this puzzle has been solved.
Please see the attached.

The graphs clearly indicate that the brand new Cobra2820/12 behave properly.
The static run on 4S 3000 mAh was 3 minutes 30 seconds that is 20 seconds longer than the last one with the old Cobra 2820/12.

The temperature of the motor green part immediately after run was 150 deg.F (66 deg.C), the ESC 115 deg.F and the battery surface about 100 deg.F.

3 minutes 30 seconds of static run is a serious abuse of the system and I will not try such a long static run again. It was essential, though, for me to see  full comparison of old and new motor.

Conclusion: the bearing/bearings of my old Cobra2820/12 started failing after about 60-70 flights and this is unacceptable. I am contacting Lucien Miller with serious concerns and will consider the alternative to the cobra equipment.

Thank you,
Matt

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
In one email conversation that I had with Lucien, he noted that for control line pattern the motors should be front mounted.  He changed with experience dealing with control line, as he liked rear mounts a few years ago when I first asked.  That said, I am using rear mount on a 3520. 

To add to the Cobra Vs Eflite comment, the bearings are not pressed in on the Eflite that I used and therefore bearing changes are relatively easy.  Not so sure that they last longer.  But, as you noted 60 - 70 flight bearing life is unacceptable. 
Fred

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
I believe i read somewhere on here, Paul mentioning that he was going through bearings at an alarming rate and one of the reasons he went to a plettenberg.

Tom

AMA 13001

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
Paul is using rear mounts. Through the firewall
Just like Dennis showed.
Jose Modesto

Advertise Here