News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Centrifugal cooling fan for Cobra motors  (Read 658 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Centrifugal cooling fan for Cobra motors
« on: September 24, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »
Hello,
Does anybody know where to find at least one?
The motor is mounted behind the firewall.

Thank you,
M

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Centrifugal cooling fan for Cobra motors
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
What Cobra Motor?  I have one you can have if it fits.  It is the old style 3 bolt version.  PN C-MCA-28.  It fits the 28xx motors.  PM me if you can use it.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:08:05 PM »
Hi John,
I need it for one of my Cobras 3520/12.  These motors have four M3 threaded holes to mount https://innov8tivedesigns.com/parts/motor-parts/cobra-c-35mm-bolt-on-prop-adapter-4-hole and these holes can be used to mount the fan. 3 bolt version of the fan for 28xx Cobras will unfortunately not fit.

I know that fans for 35xx series existed but are hard to find.

Thanks,
M

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Hi John,
I need it for one of my Cobras 3520/12.  These motors have four M3 threaded holes to mount https://innov8tivedesigns.com/parts/motor-parts/cobra-c-35mm-bolt-on-prop-adapter-4-hole and these holes can be used to mount the fan. 3 bolt version of the fan for 28xx Cobras will unfortunately not fit.

I know that fans for 35xx series existed but are hard to find.

Thanks,
M
I have been looking for a fan for my 3520 about 6 months.  If you find a source please post it here.  I can't find so much as a picture of one.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
I believe I bought the last one like 4-5 years ago, As I called him directly and he had to dig that one up for me and said they were discontinued already for a while at that time. These only fit the older 3 screw versions of that motor and not the newer 4 screw versions. In any case this is what they look like. Excuse the scratches. This is for the 35 series. The 28 series is pretty much the same only smaller. Just a side note that I found it pretty ineffective on the 28 series as the motor seemed to run hot regardless in full fuse planes and on the 35 series I ran it with and without the fan and it ran cool, did not see much difference there either. Maybe it was more effective for helicopter guys? Just a guess.
AMA 98010

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 10:27:30 AM »
I believe I bought the last one like 4-5 years ago, As I called him directly and he had to dig that one up for me and said they were discontinued already for a while at that time. These only fit the older 3 screw versions of that motor and not the newer 4 screw versions. In any case this is what they look like. Excuse the scratches. This is for the 35 series. The 28 series is pretty much the same only smaller. Just a side note that I found it pretty ineffective on the 28 series as the motor seemed to run hot regardless in full fuse planes and on the 35 series I ran it with and without the fan and it ran cool, did not see much difference there either. Maybe it was more effective for helicopter guys? Just a guess.
Thanks for the picture, at least I know what they look like.  The fact that they are no longer manufactured leads me to believe that they were not particularly effective.  Personally I have never had a heat problem with any of the three Cobra's I am running and that is in Texas where the air temperature over our asphalt circles is well over 100 in the summer.  They seem to vent themselves and as long as you have airflow to draw off the expelled heat they do fine.  It also appears that the fan would force a front mount and I would rather periodically replace bearings than deal with collets.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here