News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pusher props  (Read 574 times)

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Pusher props
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:07:35 AM »
Hi guys

I have just ordered a couple of APC 12x6 pusher props for my E-Nobler. What can I expect when using a pusher prop? Trim changes?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Alan Hahn

Re: Pusher props
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:34:28 AM »
Well from my limited experience, you can expect to up your rpm---the 12-6 pusher has less pitch (or effective pitch) than the tractor. I think that is going to be the biggest adaption you will have to make.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
Andreas,

Great question!!  My uncle and I have talked about this and have thought to trim the airplane to fly on the standard RH prop, then put on the pusher.  The thought here is that the pusher may mask some trim issues.

If you have a trimmed airframe, adding a pusher will increase line tension over 45 deg.  The vertical 8, Hourglass, overhead, and 4 leaf clover are the maneuvers that benefit the most.  I really didn't notice any diferences anywhere else.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana  
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »
What Archie said!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Ok, more tension above 45 sounds good  :) It will be interesting to try a pusher prop.

Alan: how much did you have to increase the rpm?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »
Ok, more tension above 45 sounds good  :) It will be interesting to try a pusher prop.

Alan: how much did you have to increase the rpm?

/Andreas

I didn't. I took the prop off and put the tractor back on! At the time, I simply wanted to fly, and not search out a new rpm--which meant a few days of back and forth trial and error. I'll probably try again, once I get the nose of my Vector back on again!  HB~>

I think Crist has mentioned 300 rpm, but that may depend on the value you are currently using. But it is probably a good place to start.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:12:46 AM »
Andreas,

We have not experienced a difference as others have with the pusher props.  I have flown both the 12 x 6 and 13 x 6.5 and used the same rpm for the same result.  I am pretty sure that Crist had to increase rpm, but I don't remember. 

Best to static test for current to see if that is ths same.  If so, probably no change needed.  If the pusher is lighter on amps, then you might want to increase it a bit.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:07:39 PM »
Guys,

I have been flying the pusher for several months and I agree with Dennis A as to were you will feel the benefit. For my ship one of the first things I noticed was that on the takeoff roll it would hug the ground a little more then with the tractor prop. This seems to be due to the opposite prop swirl that tends to hit the bottom of the stab and lift it while on a tractor setup it pushes it down. The free flight guys use this effect to get their ship to roll one way under power then roll the other during glide. If you set up the stab with positive incidence you will notice it more then if it is set for zero. Also if you have your bellcrank set for front line Up the pusher negates this. If you have it set as front line down you get a benefit because the torque is opposite.

The pitch on the pusher is about 0.4" less out of the package then the tractor. When I set the pitch to the same value as my tractor the lap time was the same and so was the current draw. If you do a search on this board someone posted a pitch gauge that can be used with a Prather gauge when you reverse the gauge plate setup.

All in all the pusher give me a little more confidence on the outside corners and I like it.

Best,          Dennis T

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here