News:

• May 20, 2024, 05:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Purpose of the Getting all AMP'ed up Forum  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Purpose of the Getting all AMP'ed up Forum
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
Attention ALL ECL fliers, guru's and experts!!

After reading the atrocity that was the T-Rex Power thread, I thought it prudent to ask the following question:

"What is the purpose of this Forum?"

There are many different ways to successfully convert or build a successful ECL model.  Whether it be a 1/2 A sized to a full blown CLPA sized bird, there is not a defined set of what you "HAVE TO BUY".  Many in this forum find it prudent to say "Do it my way or your doing it wrong".  "Go win something and then post your set-up."  What are we doing here guys? Are we promoting electric stunt, or pushing personal agendas?

Electric stunt needs to be promoted from the beginner/intermediate/Advanced classes.  For those who wish to jump right in to CLPA, go for it as you will spend more time flying and practicing with an ECL than tinkering with your power-system.  If there is any one distinct advantage to ECL, it is that it makes you concentrate on your flying more than your system.  It takes out the worry of good repeated motor runs. 

There are many on this forum that have great ideas and have been very successful in converting or building EP controline models.  Regardless of accomplishment at contests, NATS, or World Champs events, everyone has something to offer.  There are good people on this forum.  Lets drop all the banter and work together to promote ECL, not fight or argue like little children.  An inferiority complex has no place in this forum. 

Let's keep our eye on the ball guys and help each other not shoot each other in the foot.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Purpose of the Getting all AMP'ed up Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
Well said Archie..... I for one have really enjoyed reading this forum, it is actually the most informative area on the web that I have found to explain how and why .......

I guess people will always argue tho - it is human nature - but it should be left at home and not aired here..
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »
This forum is the best place I have found so far for info on electric c/l.  

In December 2009 I decided to start learning about electric after being told that the first Australian "all electric" F2B competition will be held in August 2010.

I decided to start with a tried and proven setup ie the Electric Super Clown, after reading this forum. Setting up the Super Clown was a breeze because I was able to get instant help from this forum.  Flying the Super Clown is great fun!

With information I learned from here I then proceeded to plan to convert my IC engine Brodak Pathfinder MkII to electric. The upgrade to the Pathfinder has gone perfectly with everything falling into place, because I followed the advice of Dennis, Alan and others from this forum.

Did I mention this all started just over a month ago?  How much have I learned in so little time.

I am now planning my next upgrade, and will no doubt receive more help from this forum.  So all I can say is the Getting all AMP'ed up Forum is an excellent place to learn about electric flight.

Thanks very much guys for all your excellent help and advice.

Lets all Get AMPed up, not all FIRED up.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
Thanks Archie,
I was thinking the same thing and am very happy that you put it in writing!!!!
Will
AMA 98010

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
Amen

bob branch D>K

Offline Robert Jones

• Ensign
  • AMA 34191
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:02:44 PM »
If there is any one distinct advantage to ECL, it is that it makes you concentrate on your flying more than your system.  It takes out the worry of good repeated motor runs.
This is exactly why I'm going all electric (with the occasional 4 stroke thrown in just because they sound cool!) And just like with the I.C. motors, there are infinite combinations of motor, prop and batteries to explore. Which means more planes to build! Yay!  #^   
"Is That Remote Control Or Does It Fly On Strings?"

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
ECL is really starting to catch on. When I first flew an electric at Osborne field in Alameda som eyears ago everyone gave me a bad time. There's no sound, how do you clean the electrons off after a flight?  Now there are others flying electric and it isn't so strange to see battery chargers there. There are some of us even using electrics in carrier. Who would have thought?
Bob Frogner

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:59 AM »
Archie, I could not agree more. It is refreshing to meet another adult with a grown up point of view on things. Several of the big battles in stunt over the last few decades left a bad taste in my mouth. I had a hard time swallowing some of the attitude. It seems funny that in toy airplanes we have politics from the far right and far left perspectives, old and young mucking up the works.

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:07:08 PM »
Archie,
Very well said son.
I guess you really were listening when Mom and I were refereeing some of your earlier sibling entanglements.
     Dad

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 06:41:55 AM »
Don't ya just hate it when you're parents come back and get ya with one like that? I really shouldn't enjoy how much I enjoy doing it to my kids!

Welcome back Big Art!

bob branch

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »
Bob,

I know there are (3) or us Art's to keep track of, but the last post was my father Arch.  Big Art is my Grandfather.  I turn 36 this June.  I am "The Kid".  So we have Big Art, Arch, and Archie.  Say that 3 times in a row and see if you don't need to sit down.  n~   

One of these days I will get up to Michigan to fly with all of you so we can formally meet.

I appreciate all of the positive comments posted here.  It really makes it enjoyable to be on here when we are on all on the same page.  Now, if I could only get to the workshop and get my stunters going.   LL~  Uncle Dennis is going to drive up here and start cracking the whip soon.  I really do need it. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
Archie,
maybe a little less time playing with EF-1 Pylon racers, and you might get your stunt ships done. Not sure about there, but here, the stunt season starts before the Pylon season, so I am hot and heavy trying to get my Avenger geared up and ready to rock for the first stunt contest. Shot the first three colors on it today, tomorrow, the next two colors, then clear,, so that one is about ready. While the clear is dryin, I may be workin on the plans for my Thunderchicken,,
Now, go get busy on them stunters!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »
Hey Archie, Mark's right.

Don't make me use UPPERCASE on you..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
boy you guys are a tough crowd! ITS STILL COLD OUT THERE!!!!

:o
bob branch

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Bob,
Not that cold.  I was flying and sweating yesterday.  Probably wore too many clothes.  Nice day though.
John
John Paris

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
Wow, it's tough being a kid.  LOL

I have had my priorities all scrambled.  I got involved in the EF-1 rules proposal and it has taken off like you wouldn't believe.  I have been helping with the rules and setting up the power-system.  Last season spent most of the year testing with the Orange LR-1A Pogo I had at the NATS. 

I offered to publish on another forum a set of EF-1 plans as there are no airframes available right now.  I designed a Cassutt EF-1 that I am almost finished with.  Then it's back to the workshop for stunt building.  Have (2) ships started and need to get them done. 

Now that Uncle Dennis lives only 65 miles away, I have a much bigger motivation as I am afraid of the hammer that will come down on me if I don't get a stunter built this year.  I want to fly @ the NATS, so I better get busy.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 11:12:41 AM »
Archie,
maybe a little less time playing with EF-1 Pylon racers, and you might get your stunt ships done.
You need to remember the overall good thing about Pylon:

It is the (secret?) C/L conspiracy to get R/C fliers to go around in circles...
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
No conspiracy.  TRUTH. As fast as things are getting these days, CL training has kept me from falling on my rear end!! LL~

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »
Archie,
I think that is one of the reasons I survived my first encounters with a pylon race,, I had so much time going around in circles, I was kind of used to it. The other thing I find fascinating is the fact that both of these events I LOVE. but they are literally at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as modeling goes.With the exception of understanding from my stunt involvment, how critical trim is on an airframe. Consequently, my pylon birds are pretty well trimmed compared to some of the other 424 birds I fly against... when mine wanders all over the sky its from the goof at the sticks, not from the airframe lol, come to think of it, pretty much the same applies with regards to my Stunt ships,
anyway,
enough, get a stunter built,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here