News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pulse width meter availabilty ? Dean  (Read 976 times)

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Pulse width meter availabilty ? Dean
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:02:13 PM »
   I am planning to try HI GOV mode in the spring. I have been reading about how
to set up the timers in this forum using a pulse width meter. I have called Tony at Radio South and he does not have any.I looked at the new JETI -SPIN BOX and noted
that you can measure servo pulse width with it. My question is will this work to set up
timer pulse width output? If not is there any other source. I have Zigras timer one is
digital and one use a pot. I also have JMP -1 and JMP-2 timers and a servo board to set and readout JMP outputs. Can anyone help me obtain what I need to set and verify ESC inputs on cc Phx 35.

Sincerely
Walt Brownell

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Pulse width meter availabilty ? Dean
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »
Walt
The easiest way I know of is to look at the pulse on an Oscilloscope.  If you use one of the digital based scopes you can have the on screen readout display the time directly.  They are available on Ebay reasonably priced.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »
Simple answer is YES.

The best way is to make a "Y" cable and to connect Jeti prog box between timer and ESC. You can read actual pulse width and measure related rpm. Later you can simple recalculate wanted rpm and set wanted pulse widht by prog box only. You can do it also without Y cable, first measure the pusle with separately and then its rpm. You will need a source of 5V in this case, but you can use ESC to supply connector.

Even simpler way is to use Jeti Spin ESC and set the timer to max pulse width and then to use Jeti prog box to set wanted real prop rpm directly in numbers (the same number for max rpm and also min rpm) ... for that you need to adjust number of motor poles and gear ratio (1:1 in case of direct drive). So you not need to play with pulse width at all.

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 07:18:14 AM »
  Thanks Igor
 The Y cable sounds like a good way to start out.
 Regards,
 Walt Brownell

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:50:54 AM »
Walt,
I went about it in a little different way. I borrowed an Astro Servo tester from a friend (later I bought one), and it is calibrated from 1 to 2 ms. Originally I checked out the width with a scope at work to verify the calibration was correct. Then I hooked up the Astro servo tester to the Servo Test Stand (a servo mounted on a piece of plywood) I made for my JMP-2 timer. Now I marked the 1.0 to 2.0 (in 0.1 increments) on the Servo Test stand. Voila, a pulse width measurement device.
Later I discovered that by counting the throttle ticks on the JMP-2 timer (or the switch settings on the Zigras), that they perfectly agree with my servo tester, so actually you could calibrate the servo arm position with that.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Alan, that Jeti prog box is very clever device, it can be used like a servo tester, or like a pulse width monitor, it has LCD display so it is in that price very usefull tool for us. ... and if you combine it with Jeti Spin ESC (available for us in stunt version with brake in givernor mode) it is really all you need to adjust motor run on field or check ESC in flight parameters like real RPM max or ESC temperature or so.

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »
Clancy,Igor&Alan Thanks for your help. I now am more confident about getting
a Jeti-spin ESC and Box to help me to use my JMP timer as well as my zigras Timers.
Regards,
Walt Brownell

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »
I now am more confident about getting
a Jeti-spin ESC and Box to help me to use my JMP timer as well as my zigras Timers.

Walter, what are your achievements today, did you find the right setting?  Which motor and prop are you using? And what are your programing values on the Jeti box and timer.
I still have difficulties in fixing all this stuff..
Rgds

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »
HI - Thierry
 I have just received my Jeti- Spin Box and have read the instructions but have not
run any bench tests yet with it. I am currently in a building mode with a new twin
electric named " POLYAMPA 2". The motor I plan to use the Jeti -Spin system with
is my AXI2826/10 with a 14.8volt TP 4000mah battery and a 11x5.5" APC-e prop
set for 10200 RPM. I really must fly this combo before I can comment as I expect that
a 12x6 set for 9600RPM may be better for my classic " Nakke" ship.   

Regards, Walt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here