News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Puller/Pusher vs Vertical CG  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Puller/Pusher vs Vertical CG
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
Guys,
I installed a external tail bearing on my profile Excitation and found it makes a significant improvement to the stability of the ship in general. One big thing that it did was stabilize the yaw in both pitch up and down maneuvers. Prior to installing the tail bearing I had gone to a pusher prop setup and found that I really liked the additional security on the outside maneuvers that the pusher gave, the insides were a little softer but very manageable. With the tail bearing in place the inside maneuvers are now as stable as the outsides and the question is can we use the pusher vs puller to better advantage in controlling the vertical CG moment due to the battery location?

What I mean is on my profile I have the battery mounted above the wing, the motor is also above the wing in the normal location for an inverted IC engine. This puts a lot of weight up above the leadouts which will want to roll the ship out when upright and in when inverted. This is the same kind of trim problem that the pipe ships have with the pipe below the leadouts producing roll in when upright and out inverted. Now it seems that since we can use either pusher or puller prop rotation we could use the torque reaction to trim some of this out. In my cast I'm thinking that with the motor now very solid, since my ship has the weight above the leadouts using a conventional puller counterclockwise rotation should produce a torque reaction that will act to roll the ship in canceling some of the outward roll of the high vertical CG. If you have the low battery location then the pusher clockwise rotation should work. I think this will work if the motor has the second stabilizing bear or is an in-runner, without the additional support the motor seems to move a lot more then you would think. Anyone try this?

Best,              DennisT

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
Re: Puller/Pusher vs Vertical CG
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
Dennis
I am not sure what you mean by a tail bearing, can you post some pictures of what the installation looks like.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
Hi Dennis,
The tail-bearing is simply preventing gyroscopic forces from wiggling your thrustline in the corners and transitions. Great!

As far as vertical CG is concerned ... there is no substitute for getting the plane to hang off the leadouts with the wing vertical as viewed from the nose or tail.
At least we have an advantage with E-power, either the battery or the leadouts can be moved, and the vertical CG will not move during the flight.
That may not be true as a fuel tank empties.

later,
 Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »
Andy,
The tail bearing is an external bearing that supports the motor from the back end on a front mounted installation, some guys have done the same thing with a rear mount and a front external bearing. A picture is attached of my installation.

Best,              DennisT

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:52:54 PM »
Historically there have been a LOT of great flying airplanes built with Tractor style props - but you will have to pry my pushers out of my cold dead fingers...

From your pix it looks like your front mount system was pretty robust to begin with, I am impressed that the rear support added noticable improvement.

In most cases the battery represents roughly 20% of the total weight of the airplane.  I am striving for a location centered on the wing or sometimes slightly higher or lower than that depending on the wing's location relative to the thrust line.  Of course lowering the battery would be the preferred solution, but the torque effect would be curious too - just not sure I would ever switch back to the tractor...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
Dennis,
I hope to try this out this weekend, fly back to back and see how the torque thing works out. The problem will be that the flaps are now tweaked for the pusher so it may take a few flights to get the true performance from the tractor. Since this ship has the high battery it might be a benefit, if the battery were in-line or lower than the vertical CG I think the pusher has the edge

I agree that if we start with a clean sheet of paper and design a pure electric design you could get very close to neutral on the vertical CG if you could keep the battery ahead of the wing (or at least the main spare with a cutout in front of it) to allow it to be adjusted up and down as well as fore and aft.

I've been looking at some motor/battery combo's and it seems that in the "40-46 ish" size range using a 5 cell pack should allow a 2700 mah pack that is around 10.3 oz vs a 4S pack at 3900 mah @ 12.75 oz. Some have suggested using a 4S 3300 mah pack @ 11.11 oz and I am close on that to the 80% drawdown level with my current setup. All in all since this would be a change in battery pack I thing the 5S is the better bet and should move the pack significantly further forward to a position that could allow the vertical adjustment. Only draw back to the 5S is the increase in depth. For a purpose built ship this should not be a problem.
Best,         DennisT

Offline kenny stevens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
Hi Dennis   This is a topic I have some input on. I have converted two of my SV-22 models to electric in the past two years with the lead outs 1/8 inch lower in wing per. normal piped ship. Both planes flew vary well with lots of line tension and a great hourglass with both tractor and pusher props but I like the tractor better. This is with the battery pack on the moter  mounts above the wing and the plane does not hang strait on the lead outs .  This year I built a purpose electric SVE-22 with battery centered and lead outs centered in the wing. The plane is vary light on the lines and has no hourglass at all. Moving the battery to the top of the compartment helped but may move lead outs down to get the feel I am after.   

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »
Kenny,
I think you have it right, do you have the external bearing on the motor? On the ship that has the battery lower did you try the pusher? Last where do you have the airplane CG?

One thing we have tried that worked for me is balancing a little more nose heavy then the IC setup. Let us know.

Best,         DennisT

Offline kenny stevens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
Dennis     This plane had a front mounted plett 25-14 but the mount was not strong enough and the motor vibrated at 7200 rpm during ramp up.e I then installed a rear bearing and still had the vibration. Greatly stiffening the front mount was the only cure but then had a hot motor. Did not try the pusher yet, have cut front mount out and am installing a rear mount. This will increase cooling and alleviate the vibration. I will continue to trim the plane Thursday. Frank McMillen wrote a piece for pampa, 9 or 10 years ago on vertical  cg that might be worth a look.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »
Kenny,
One thing I noticed on my ship was that the original motor mount was soft and allowed a small movement which I think gave confusing trim reactions with the tractor and pusher prop set up. Once I added the rear external bearing all that movement stopped and the ship settled out for both inside and outside maneuvers. Now I think the true effect of the rotational torque can be judged. I also have had some high ish motor temps but not to bad, I am working with the ESC timing, pulse width and gain to lower this some.

Let us know how the rear mount works out, check to see how much movement it allows, mine moved the shaft only about a 1/64th" but at the end of the prop tip that seemed to have a bigger then you'd think impact on the thrust line.

Best,         DennisT

Offline kenny stevens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Dennis   Did you have any vibration on ramp up, my plane ate the nose 1/8 of an inch back by the spinner. At one point I smelled burning balsa from the center of the circle. Finished the back mount last night and ramp up is completely vibration free. The plane is now fitted with the 13/4.5 pusher from the 13/4 tractor APC copy from hobby king. It will speed lap times  .2 sec and cut battery Mah. 100.  We will see what it dose for the hourglass.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
Kenny,
I did go through a transition vibration at one point, didn't hit the wood but made a god offal noise. Most of this was the bearings going bad in my AXI 2826/10 motor, once replace it was much better but still a little. Once I added the rear bearing its all gone. One thing you will likely notice is how solid the ship will feel with the rear bearing through all the maneuvers, this was something I was a little surprised at, Didn't think the motor was moving as much as it was. Let us know your experience.

Tomorrow I will try to compare the pusher vs. tractor props, should be interesting.

Best,            DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
Guys,
Flew the pusher vs tractor props on my profile for the past two weeks and with the rear external bearing installed on the motor I have been surprised. Prior to installing the rear external bearing there was significant difference on the outsides with the pusher and the insides were soft. With the external bearing there is nothing great with the pusher, the insides and outsides feel the same with the outside banging a bit with the pusher. With the tractor it seems because the battery is above the leadouts it has a moment that rolls the ship out when upright, this is added to by the pusher torque doing the same thing. With the tractor on this ship the torque fights the battery roll and there is almost no bang. Seems the motor mount was allowing some movement of the motor (in and out) that caused the big difference, once the external rear bearing stopped that movement you now get back to just torque reactions and vertical CG. I need to do some additional testing to come to a firm conclusion but for this ship the tractor prop may work better. One thing I did notice that was significant was on takeoff with the tractor it wants to get off the deck much quicker than with the pusher. This is likely because of the prop swirl pushing down on the stab/elevator with the tractor, the pusher holds the ground longer. This in nothing that can't be handled once in the air its not a problem. If you fly in deeper grass you might kept it in mind if you have trouble on takeoff.

Best,             DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »
Guys,
After working thought the reset of my CC45 ESC and getting that straighten out we finally got some flyable weather last weekend to test again. This time I was able to fly full patterns back to back with the pusher and the tractor props. Bottom line is they both felt pretty good. I did not get to re-trim the ship for the tractor but it was pretty close as it was. For this ship the pusher felt a little better on the outside squares so for now I will stick with the pusher set up even with a slight bang on the inside corners.

The biggest impact to was the addition of the rear external motor bearing (this is a front mount motor) that stopped the very slight yaw of the motor/prop during corners.

Best,         DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: trim 

Advertise Here