News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Props for AXI 2826/10 ?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Props for AXI 2826/10 ?
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:13:32 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have been using an AeroNaut CF 10 x 6 prop. It flys my 57 oz. P-40 very well at about 85% power. But, it is flying  faster than the other planes (glow) at our field. A little under 5 sec laps on 60' eye to eye lines.

The plane flies great. Plenty of line tension everywhere. It will do an unlimited amount of overhead eights (I stopped at 8, my neck got tired ;-) But, I would like to be able to fly slower like the other planes.

When I turn down the power, I lose some of the line tension overhead that I have come to love. The LOs and CG seem to be in a good location according to local experts.

A Zinger Pro 11 x 6 gave awesome power (of course same speed) but it really sucked down the battery. On the 10 x 6 I use approx. 2,700 mAh per 6min 30 sec flights. With the 11 x 6 I used 3,900 mAh from my TP 4,200 4S2P Battery. The Battery and Motor were both hotter than normal. (da! ;-)

Would a 11 x 5 wood prop work better? How about the Bolly 11 x 4 props used on the Aero Tiger glow engines

What props are you all using? Please include brand when you answer, along with the size. Also, please mention if you had to modify the prop to get the size you use.

I have just ordered a Prather (SP?) Pitch gauge so I can modify props. I have never done this before, but I hear this is what guys are doing to get the right prop for our electric planes.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Quote of the day:

"Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club."
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
Re: Props for AXI 2826/10 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »
Rudy,

I don't believe I can help you with the RIGHT prop as I am still searching for that elusive item myself.  In the mean time I am flying my  Bearcat with a 12-6E.

Please tell me where I can order a Prather Gage.  Thanks

linheart

linheart

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 04:56:38 PM »
Hi Linhart,

I watched your beautiful Bearcat fly on one of Windy's videos. It looks like a perfect setup. Nice flying too! :-)

Thanks for the input. I have to assume that the Electric props have a lot less drag, and load, than the regular props made for glow. After my experience with the Zinger Pro 11 x 6, I would think a 12 x 6 Zinger would melt my motor and Battery! ;-)

I'm going to try the APC Electric 11 x 5.5, this is what my LHS had.  I will order some different props and start experimenting. I did not want to try different ones until I got the plane trimmed out. Now, with about 25 flights on it, it is time to try some new props.

RE: Pitch gauge. I ordered one from my LHS, Covina Hobbies in West Covina CA. (near our flying field in the  LA area). I always try them 1st. Your LHS may be able to do the same? But if not, Brodak carries them.

http://www.brodak.com/shop_search.php?productsearch=pitch+gauge 

Thanks again for your help. I hope others pitch in here so that we can all learn more about props from each other. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:01:22 PM »
RE: Pitch gauge. I ordered one from my LHS, Covina Hobbies in West Covina CA. (near our flying field in the  LA area). 

I use to go to Ed's Covina hobby as a boy. We lived right at Sunset and Fransquito and I would spend all day riding my bicycle up to ED'S and spend all my lawn mowing money for the week. Those were great times!
AMA 12366

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been using an AeroNaut CF 10 x 6 prop. It flys my 57 oz. P-40 very well at about 85% power. But, it is flying  faster than the other planes (glow) at our field. A little under 5 sec laps on 60' eye to eye lines.

The plane flies great. Plenty of line tension everywhere. It will do an unlimited amount of overhead eights (I stopped at 8, my neck got tired ;-) But, I would like to be able to fly slower like the other planes.

When I turn down the power, I lose some of the line tension overhead that I have come to love. The LOs and CG seem to be in a good location according to local experts.

A Zinger Pro 11 x 6 gave awesome power (of course same speed) but it really sucked down the battery. On the 10 x 6 I use approx. 2,700 mAh per 6min 30 sec flights. With the 11 x 6 I used 3,900 mAh from my TP 4,200 4S2P Battery. The Battery and Motor were both hotter than normal. (da! ;-)

Would a 11 x 5 wood prop work better? How about the Bolly 11 x 4 props used on the Aero Tiger glow engines

What props are you all using? Please include brand when you answer, along with the size. Also, please mention if you had to modify the prop to get the size you use.

I have just ordered a Prather (SP?) Pitch gauge so I can modify props. I have never done this before, but I hear this is what guys are doing to get the right prop for our electric planes.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Quote of the day:

"Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club."

Hi Rudy

I can tell you the most common props I sell for that motor
3 blade Bolly 11 x 4n  and  12x4 n
12 x 4 cf Bolly
11 x 6 Cf bolly,  all these  props are very easy to turn
Bob Hunt uses  a  prop That is almost exactly the same as the 11 x 4 3 blade, he has both  Bollys and Bill Lees thin 3 blades, so does several other people.
there is also a host of APC props that can be used also 12 x 3.75 is used too.

Regards
Randy

PS  I also have  pitch gauges in stock

www.aeroproduct.net

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:26:17 AM »
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I needed. :-)

I will contact you tomorrow with my prop order.

The 11 x 4 three blade sounds good. And I have enough ground clearance for it too.

Do you know if anyone has used the APC Electric 11 x 5.5 two blade with this motor?

Thanks again for your help. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
Hi Rudy,
   A friend of mine is trimming an ARF Vector (53oz ready to fly) with an AXI 2826/10. The only props used so far have been the APC-E 11x5.5. I have been doing the pitching for him and we are down to 4.5" pitch on 62' lines eyelet to eyelet. The result was lap times in the 4.7sec range. I just repitched another 11x5.5 to 11x4 and he will give it a shot in the next week or so.
   In short the props are worth every penny being in the $4-5 range. For most fliers the gains found in carbon props are not worth the extra $30 plus dollars.     
   Good luck with your setup!!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 11:04:08 AM »
Hello Rudy, and Hello Gang,
Just for a starting point, the non-governor setup that we sent Bob H to the Team Trials in 2005 used full throttle and a three-bladed 11.5 X 4.5. He was using maybe 2700 or 2800 mAh out of the battery and flying 5.2 slowing to maybe 5.3 over the course of the flight. That prop would translate to maybe a 12-3/8 X 4-1/2 in a two blader.

I strongly suggest that those of you not contemplating the use of a governor try to stay very close to full throttle. At full throttle, as opposed to 99% or any other part throttle position, the ESC heating and losses are dramatically less. Even so, if you have only 4", 5" and 6" pitch props to play with, then use the lowest pitch that lets you get the speed you want, with a small throttle-back. If you are consuming less than 2700 mAh, then add diameter. If you are consuming more then 3500 mAh then cut down the diameter, and small changes have a pronounced effect. I think that for small changes, the chgange in power consumption can approach 5 times the percentage change in diameter. ( a 1% reduction in diameter will reduce power consumption by maybe 5% assuming everything else stays the same.)

Rudy, when you throttled back the 10 X 6 you were absorbing no horsepower. Maybe it helps to think in terms of airspeed times disc area. Do you happen to remember the battery capacity used on that flight? I'll bet it wasn't much. Try a throttled back 12-6, or better yet an almost not throttled-back 12-5. If you are willing to fiddle with pitch twisting, then set the throttle to full and make yourself a 12-4.5 (or so) that flies at 5.2 S per lap. When you get that pitch figured out, make yourself a prop with maybe 1/8" more pitch and one with maybe 1/8" less. The higher pitch is for warmer days, and the lesser for cooler ones. (Using pitch changes like this will maintain both lap times and battery consumption level over changes in temp.) Ultimately, I suspect you'll end up with something just over 12" in diameter with a close to 4-1/2" pitch.

Please let us know what you come up with.
best of luck in the new flying year.
 P.S. try that 12 X 6 or 12 X 5 on the governor. You'll need to use the high range on the Castle PHX 45 and set all the heli-governor gains in the middle. That should be safe.
Dean Pappas

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 04:27:02 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the good news. I'm glad to hear the Electric APC prop performs so well. As soon as I receive my pitch gauge I will try and learn how to "bend, twist, fold, and mildly mutilate" my APC prop to get the pitch I need. ........ When I receive my "Hi Zoot" CF 11 x 4 3B prop from Randy, I will try to carefully twist it too.

Mike, (and anyone else) Please let me know if my understanding of how to modify props is correct.  TIA

After reading all I could easily find on twisting props, here is my understanding of how it is done:

How the Expersts do it: (.01% of PAMPA members)

They use the very high tech welding torch, the same one that is made for NASA. They apply an exact amount of heat (1,287 degrees, +/- 2 degrees) for 5 nano seconds every 1/16" along the prop, twisting, then measuring to the nearest 1/100th of a degree at each 1/16" station.  Then they heat cure the prop in a magic kiln for at least 18 months. ..... BTW: Not having this "High Zoot" skill is the ONLY reason most of us will never win the Nats!!

For the rest of us (99.99%):

APC props:     Boil some water, take it off the stove, throw in your prop for several(?) min., take it out and, if going low to higher pitch, twist it near the hub (where the airfoil starts) until your pitch gauge says your where you want to be. If going from a high to lower pitch then same as above with one additional (optional) step:  then add back in a little MORE pitch out at the tips (a few 10ths). (Thanks Leonard :-)

CF Props:   Use a Monokote type heat gun instead of the boiling water, (this will work on APC props too). Heat the CF prop until you can feel the threads move when you twist the prop, but not so hot that you weaken the molecular bond within the CF material. Then do same as above.

Aprox. 50% of the props thrust is generated in the "outer" 30% of the props dia. So we may want to spend our time measuring/twisting accordingly! ;-)

Thanks again for your answer, and all the great ground work you did to make Elec. CL flying easier for the rest of us. :-)

Hi Rudy,
   A friend of mine is trimming an ARF Vector (53oz ready to fly) with an AXI 2826/10. The only props used so far have been the APC-E 11x5.5. I have been doing the pitching for him and we are down to 4.5" pitch on 62' lines eyelet to eyelet. The result was lap times in the 4.7sec range. I just repitched another 11x5.5 to 11x4 and he will give it a shot in the next week or so.
   In short the props are worth every penny being in the $4-5 range. For most fliers the gains found in carbon props are not worth the extra $30 plus dollars.     
   Good luck with your setup!!
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:38:37 PM »
Hi Dean,

What a great answer, Thanks. I'm glad I asked the prop question on this forum, all the replies have been very helpful. As you, and others, have said in the past: "....there is much more power to be gained in our Elec. setups with more prop experimentation and developement...."

In ans. to your ?, Your right, when I TH back to around 80%, with my Aeronaut 10 x 6 prop, the battery draw was only 2,400 mAh. I am flying now around an 85% average and drawing around 2,700. With my present JMP set up my last lap time is exactly the same as my 1st lap time. I am very happy with the performance I have now, but like everyone else, I would like to fly as slow as possible and still have the same turn ability, and great line tension I enjoy now. :-)

Your info. will be a big help to me in getting to the above goal of slow and in control. I will start experimenting over the next few weeks. I will begin keeping a flight log with prop size, mAh used, RPM, lap times etc. I'll post my results when I get enough data, if anyone is interested.

I am still not sure what to do with my JMP timer if I try and use the heli governor mode? I also have a Ztron timer, but I can't seem to adj. the microscopic pot to get 100% power. Should I just set the JMP to 100% (with one of the suggested props) and NOT use any of the ramp-up settings? This might be worth trying?

Also, you mentioned many size props in your post, but not many brand names? Are you using all Bolly CF props? Or???? This detail is important to us who are trying to get the right set up by using your tall, broad, shoulders to stand on! ;-)

Thanks again for all your help, and taking some of your valuable time to share your info. with the rest of us. Your generosity is greatly appreciated by every one. :-)

I wish the Bob and Dean Team the best of luck in 2007. A 2007 Nats win for Electric would be shocking for some, but not totaly unexpected by us! :-) 
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:17:12 PM »
Hi Rudy,
The JMP bumps the throttle up a tiny bit at mid flight, right? I haven't fiddled with one myself. Just set it so that the amount of the "bump" is zero. A constant throttle setting all flight long will correspond to a constant RPM all flight long. If you actually want to fly faster at the end of the flight, then you can do that too, but Bob gave up on it once already. If you did add a few RPM I can tell you that all you will need is maybe 4 or 5 microseconds more throttle pulse time. As a starting point, I can tell you that about 1380 microseconds output pulse yields 10,000 RPM on an AXI 2826/10 with the Castle heli governor "high" range selected. The low range tops out at 9,000 RPM with a normal full throttle (2000 microsecond) pulse. For those not familiar with the output pulse format, the ESC is controlled by the width of a pulse that comes out of the timer (or RC receiver) and is repeated every 20th to 50th of a second. 1000 microseconds pulse duration is always idle/stop. Something close to 2000 microseconds (usually anything over 1800) gives full throttle. In governor mode, anything under 1200 or so is stop, then from 1300 to about 1900 the pulse width commands a variable RPM. a 6" pitch at 10,000 RPM is awful good as a starting point. The governor will add throttle internally as the load increases at the top of the circle, allowing you to fly slower. As always, diameter is king, until all those spiral/GP/torque effects make trimming stoopid. (sic) That's why Bob runs a 11.5 X 5.5 three blader. Now all I have to do design a counter-rotator gearbox that weighs nothing. then we can just keep adding diameter! I digress.

Thanks for the kind words,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »
Thanks Dean,

Your post helped clear up a few things for me. I am going to try the governor with the JMP.

BTW: the JMP timier is a very nice unit. After playing around with it, and getting some expert help from Will Moore, I now find it easy to use and very flexible.

It actually has the ability to have THREE different power settings. The 1st is usually used as an idle up setting. Mine is 30% for 30 sec. Enough time to get out to the handle and get ready. I still use a stooge, I always like backup systems in flying. This 1st setting can be any % of power for any amt. of time. The next stage can also be for any length of time, and for any % of power. ..... Then the THIRD stage can be set at any target power % for the remainder of the time left (from the separate "total time" setting). This third stage is the only one that "ramps up". The 1st two are at whatever % of power you set them at. This last ramp up goes up uniformly in 64 steps between the # 2 stage power setting, and the final % power you set as a target at the end of the flight.

My present set up is:  Idle up @ 30% power for 30 sec ...... 84% power for 2 min. ..... then a ramp up to 89% at the end of the 6 min 30 sec total flight time. This seems to produce constant 4.8 sec lap speeds for the entire flight. (using a 10 x 6 CF prop).

Thanks to your excellent posts, I will now get my power up near 100% and experiment with props until I get the right lap speed, and use aprox. 2,700 mAh doing it! :-)

I have Windy's video of your presentation. Between that and your posts I feel like I am finally getting a handle on Electric power CL. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Kim Doherty

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 10:11:54 PM »
Rudy,

Hi Guys,

I would like to try to answer this question a little bit differently. First there is no particularly good reason for your airplane to fly at the speed of any other persons plane. Different weights will inevitably necessitate faster or slower lap times. You say that your plane weighs 57 ounces (dry). That is (not being cruel) a fairly high weight for a plane that size. To make a plane of 57 ounces perform you will need to provide it with more airspeed than you are doing (on 60' lines) even though it "seems" you are flying very fast. (It seems fast since your lines are too short)

Listen to what Dean is telling you about absorbing horsepower from your system. You would be much better off to stick with the larger prop and simply lengthen your lines to around 63 - 65 feet and maintain the same lap speed. This will increase your airspeed substantially. Your plane will be much happier! Depending on how much you lengthen your lines, you should begin to feel more comfortable with the plane even at the same lap speed as before since all the segments of each manouevre are now longer. As long as the plane remains highly manoeuvreable, you will then be able to dial the motor back (or go to a lower pitch) a bit and slow your lap times down.

As a general comment, never try to make your plane fly like someone else's. We each have a very different style and physical capabilities. Develop a style based on your own person attributes and you will move forward much faster.

You mentioned that the 11x6 Zinger made the plane fly with awesome power. Thats what we want!!! (Although drawing the battery down to 92% is too much.) For the Thunder Power Pro Lites, draw them down to no more than 80% (3360 mah) for best performance and cycle life. Now you just need to get your line lengths set up correctly.

Now as to which props to use I would suggest that you try anything that is light and has a lot of blade area. Our testing is currently pointing to the use of Master Airscrew Wood 2 blade props (sport model) as among the very best. Looking at your amp draw for the Zinger 11x6, I would suggest a Master Airscrew 11x6 cut down to 10.5x6 as a good starting point.

As to wether you should fly in governor mode or not, IMHO there is only one answer. You need to fly in governor mode. Our testing and Bob's (I think he would agree) point to not needing to ramp up the power during a flight. Everything you are currently doing or contemplating is in effect trying to duplicate what governor mode will do for  you automatically. Generally once an ESC is set in governor mode it will stay in that mode. Read your ESC's instructions to see what you need to do to make governor mode active. To fly in governor mode you will need to have a certain amount of "headroom" (capacity) in the battery to enable the ESC to keep you flying at your chosen rpm and not fall off. You can not fly at anywhere near full throttle (full throttle is by definition the point where governor mode can no longer function as there will always be less power available in every following second than the last) in governor mode and stay there. As I have said before, this is where doing A LOT OF HOMEWORK will really pay off! 

Kim.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 08:33:17 AM »
Rudy, 4.9 sec laps on 62.5 ft. lines works out to about 54 mph.  That is right in the range everybody is flying stunt at.  It is not fast, although 52 mph(5.2 laps on your lines)would be more comfortble.  Lap times don't mean much by themselves.  They're just a quick check you can do to satisfy youself that nothing is grossly out of order with th engine setting.
As Kim says, the lines are a bit short.  I assume the P-40 is the Brodak ARF.  That is a fairly large plane, and at 57 oz. will be a bit cramped on 60 ft lines.  You have to try different combinations of airspeed and line length to find what suits you and the plane.  Every pilot will prefer, and do better with, a certain combination.  When the lines are too long the plane will fly loose and sloppy, threatening to come in on you and crash, even if you have enough line tension for decent control.  When you start getting the lines too short the plane will seem like it is flying too fast and just doesn't have enough room for comfortable maneuvers.  That seems to be where you are now.
phil Cartier

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 11:07:49 PM »
Hi Phil C., and Kim,

Thanks for the additional info., it helps! :-)

I will add 2' to my lines. I agree, this should help get the slower visual pace I like. I think my batteries and or motor is getting broken in? I get the following results while only using about 65% of the battery power (2,740 mAh). My lap times are now 4.7 with my 60.7' eye to eye lines (this is really = to a 66' radius when you include are handle lines, + arm, + plane leadouts, + 1/2 wing span). This then actually works out to 60.2 MPH according to the little SS I made up. I'm turning my 10 x 6 prop at 11,400 RPM. I think that I could turn the TH up a little and fly combat with Rich Lopez and the guys in the circle next to me! ;-)

I think this is what you both have suggested; .... longer lines to give the "relative" feeling of flying slower, .... more prop dia to generate more thrust, ....... pitch to set lap times that give good control with the pace that makes me happy. :-) ..... All the while keeping the power draw from the battery at approx. 80% (about 3,360 mAh). ..... And, using the Helli governor mode. ....... With a TH setting that will give all of the above, plus allowing enough head room for the battery to have the reserves needed to help the governor keep a constant RPM, even during peak demand periods, throughout the stunt pattern.

I hope this summary is what you were saying? My plan is to follow all your suggestions so my plane can carry me to winning the Nats in 2007!!! :-)   (just kidding, Brett is safe until at least 2020 ;-)

A few comments about A/C weight:    (thanks Kim for being sensitive to my weight problem :-)

My Brodak ARF P-40 is now "only" ;-),  56 oz. I took the Aluminum spinner off. Amazingly enough, from a wing loading perspective, it is almost the same as my Nobler. The P40 @ 56 oz, 560 sq. in. = 14.4 oz/sq ft. The ARF Nobler is 45 oz + 4 oz fuel = 49 oz @ 500 sq in = 14.1 oz/ sq ft. This is pretty close. I think the power loading is close also. IMHO: My AXI is at least 14% more powerful than the OS .40 4/2 in the Nobler. This makes the power loading about the same.

BTW, I think one could easily take 2 to 4 oz of weight off of the ARF P-40. I built it completely stock as an electric demo for our club members. I wanted to show that an electric set up could be put into any existing CL plane that was now using IC power. And with NO mods needed. Even at this MAX weight of 56 oz., the plane flys very well. I have approx. 30 flights on it now. It has flown in dead calm many times, and in winds. It has never lacked for power or line tension in any maneuver. My flying skills are NOT good enough to push the plane beyond its limits, but I think it would be fine for 95% of the CL flyer's out there. :-)

I look forward to using all your suggestions and getting to fly a relatively slower pattern that will fit my style of flying. ...... Thanks again for all your excellent help, and the generous sharing of your time and knowledge. :-)

Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here