News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proper battery and power consumption  (Read 539 times)

Kim Doherty

• Trade Count: (0)
Proper battery and power consumption
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »
In some of the more recent threads I detect a desire to minimize the mAh draw to the smallest number practical.

IMHO this is the exact opposite of how you want to set up your power system and manage your battery power.

Let's say that you have a 5S2P TP 4000 mAh battery pack. The maximum you would want to draw from this pack is 3200 mA. (80%) This is also the optimum amount to draw. In all likelihood when you first set up your system and make your first flights you will only draw say 2700 mA. From this point you want to maximize the amount of power you are using until you reach the 3200 mAh limit. You will do this by increasing the pitch and diameter of your prop (or adding some under camber) or by increasing the line length and maintaining the same lap time.

Leaving excess energy in the battery is a waste of weight, space, money and most importantly performance.

Kim.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Proper battery and power consumption
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
I think DEcreasing the pitch ...  >:D

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
In some of the more recent threads I detect a desire to minimize the mAh draw to the smallest number practical.

IMHO this is the exact opposite of how you want to set up your power system and manage your battery power.

Let's say that you have a 5S2P TP 4000 mAh battery pack. The maximum you would want to draw from this pack is 3200 mA. (80%) This is also the optimum amount to draw. In all likelihood when you first set up your system and make your first flights you will only draw say 2700 mA. From this point you want to maximize the amount of power you are using until you reach the 3200 mAh limit. You will do this by increasing the pitch and diameter of your prop (or adding some under camber) or by increasing the line length and maintaining the same lap time.

Leaving excess energy in the battery is a waste of weight, space, money and most importantly performance.

Kim.

Exactly right Kim.  Why leave anything on the table!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
EXACTLY,,
Once you have the system purchased and installed, then you want to maximize the usage of available power, that is to say without compromising the life of the componants...
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »
I think I agree with Kim #^.

But not necessarily with everyone else!! S?P

I am trying to think of the logic tree, I agree with Kim, other's agree with him, but I don't agree with others   HB~>

I believe in "proper sizing", which to me means put in the smallest battery that will do the job, but at the same time leaves enough energy for good practices (e.g. 20%).  y1

I think I got the proper smilies! H^^

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »

I believe in "proper sizing", which to me means put in the smallest battery that will do the job, but at the same time leaves enough energy for good practices (e.g. 20%).  y1

Yup, do not leave any excess battery on the table.  Plus right size the prop to the bird.

Oh if ONLY Lipos came in inflatable sizes (and nut just inflatable after being overstressd!)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:52:05 AM »
The 80% rule has its advantages. I have flown Lipos extensively in conventional RC. If you want to have a long cycle life. Say in excess of 30 flights, then you will find that with each cycle the battery capacity is reduced very slgihtly. So after 30 or 50 flights its capacity may be only 80% of original capacity. The capacity and cycle life is also influenced by the current you draw relative to the batteries rated C. To prolong cycle life it may be best to stay below 75% of the rated C capacity of the battery.

All that being said, you can go to full C rating and full capacity until the battery will no longer do what you want. You pays your money and takes your choice!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here