News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:07:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Propellers  (Read 1659 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
Propellers
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Boy I bet that got your attention! LL~

I don't know about you, but I have shoeboxes (sorted by diameter) full of propellers of all shapes and manufacturers. Also when I first entered electrics (with the Brodak Electric Clown Arf), I bought lots o\f electric props----Graupner, APC, and Master Airscrew and a single Aeronaut . I finally ended up flying the APC, I am not sure exactly why, except they basically are the same form and are reasonably inexpensive.

So I haven't really tried a lot of props other than the APC, because up to now, they seemed to work reasonably well for me. They are pretty thin, and quite frankly, when I look to try a new one, they have an similar one with a different diameter and pitch.

I wonder if I walked myself into a local minimum--a term which describes an optimum point, at least for the path that I traveled--but with other better optimums that exist, but that I haven't really tried.

I just received the April Model Aviation where Dean P. has a nice article on airfoils. So now I wonder if there is some optimum airfoil for props. What is optimum? Well you like a good efficiency (thrust out at flying airspeed for power in from the motor), and also "authority". I'm not positive what authority is, but I guess to me it means as my airspeed drops, I want my constant rpm setup to supply as much extra thrust as possible.

So my question, for those who may know (aerodynamics is a black art to me), what sort or airfoil/prop shape is optimum, or at least pretty good. Is this a known quantity??? I know by limiting myself to flying airspeeds in the 50-55 mph range, that I am out of where most research is (except , maybe for Paul McCready).

Dean, how about some answers! #^

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Propellers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »
This paper shows how to optimize a prop for a given condition and how to calculate efficiency (and other stuff) for a given prop:

Design of optimum propellers

Adkins, Charles N., Douglas Aircraft Co., Long Beach, CA; Liebeck, Robert H., Douglas Aircraft Co., Long Beach, CA
AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power 1994
0748-4658 vol.10 no.5 (676-682)
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:20:28 PM »
If you want the total information on Wing Sections I would suggest a book I have that answers about all of the questions.  Remember a prop is just a wing going in a circle.  Sounds like Control Line flying!

"Theory Of Wing Sections including a Summary of Airfoil Data" by Ira Abbott and Albert E. Von Doenhoff.

Included are point by point ordinates for most airfoils.  Great information for scale modelers also.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
If you want the total information on Wing Sections I would suggest a book I have that answers about all of the questions.  Remember a prop is just a wing going in a circle.  Sounds like Control Line flying!

"Theory Of Wing Sections including a Summary of Airfoil Data" by Ira Abbott and Albert E. Von Doenhoff.

Included are point by point ordinates for most airfoils.  Great information for scale modelers also.

Clancy

Actually I've got that book, and I did a google on the article Howard recommended (unfortunately it is $25 from the publisher).

I've been looking at the Martin Hepperle's Web page on props, and I have downloaded his JavaProp, and in addition I've used the PropCalc software which is nice. I made some plots using PropCalc of relative results in another prop thread--choosing one Aeronaut 10" prop that had section numbers and then playing with # blades, diameter, and pitch to get a feeling of what mattered---it seemed that diameter was your best friend which is why I'm using a 12" prop on my 44oz Nobler.

The APC Electric props have a pretty undercambered airfoil and I've no clue on how to figure it out to input in one of these programs--except to do section slices and scan them. Most E-Props are not Clark Y's!

The issue I was asking here is more pedestrian---I've got all these props but don't really know how to go about evaluating them--except for the most obvious way (and best probably) --put it on and fly it, record numbers and try another. First you would need to dial in the lap speed (I think that is a reasonable way to go).

It isn't obvious whether all that effort (flying or theoretical calculations) would give any real improvement over what I'm using now.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
Alan,
In some ways dialing a prop with electric is easier, well certainly more accurate if not easier.
Yes to get a real feel for what its doing, you need to maintain as much constant as possible, so adjusting lap times would be a good approach IMHO. However, that being said, If the lap times are close, it might be interesting as well, to explore how they manuever at the same setting.
with a glow engine, the needle setting is somewhat less predictable because the engine responds rpm wise to the load. In some of my experiences with glow, I have swapped two props that are just minutely different and left the needle the same.
Bottom line,, it does take time, and attention to detail to get any valid information comparatively with props.
Is it worth it,, I would say most definitely. I have had props that fly the plane at exactly the same lap times, and perform VASTLY different in maneuvering. I have had a setup that felt really good, and then experimenting found out that it wasn't as good as I thought it was when I bolted THE prop on there and flew it. BIG noticeable difference at the handle.
Is it worth YOUR time ? only you can decide, you may find that what you have is in fact the optimum,, however in my humble opinion, the act of experiementing, and trying different props is worth it if for no other reason than to increase your awareness of how the different parts of the system interact.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »
And the guy who did McCready's really cool huiman powered props was the late Prof. Larrabee, so we can't ask him terribly much. The seminal paper on the subject of efficient low-RPM props was published by the late Prof.in the NFFS symposium!

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:06:29 AM »
Alan,

I have also been looking at my prop draw and trying to find the "Hot Set Up" for electric. I've tried several different brands APC, Master Airscrew, Rev-up, TopFlite, and Zinger. I've tried to match all against the same lap time. The way I did it was to keep the RPM constant at 9000 and adjust the pitch and prop diameter. I used the APC E 12x5 (repitched from 12x6) as the base line. The thing that electric does that "wet power" doesn't is hold rpm. This allows an apples to apples comparison of the prop performance on a particular airplane. Now having said that you can get a very strict comparison but that may not be the real answer. Props are sensitive to speed (for us rpm) and a few hundred rpm difference can make a dog into a super star. So after getting the base line for all your selected props you need to then start to move the rpm and see if a prop that had a slow lap time can perform better at a higher rpm to hit the desired lap time. Some prop designs just need lower pitch and higher rpm to get into their "sweet spot". Problem is this takes lots of testing. The good news is that with electric you can set the timer for 1 min and pretty much see how it will pull quickly.

From the tests I did with my ship the only prop that improved on the performance of the APC E 12x 6 was the cut down (to 12") and repitch (to 4.8 to hold the 5.0 lap time) APC E 13x6.5. Buy cutting the length it gave a little more blade area that would hold in the wind a little better but it had a trade-off of higher amps (2950 vs 2450 for the APCE 12x5). I for the cooler weather I decided that the I wanted the extra margin in the battery pack (3850mah pack is installed). For the summer I will go back and test the 13x6.5  again.

Best,    Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:44:49 AM »
Dennis,
Yes I was thinking about cutting down an APC 13" prop too. If they made a 3 blade version I would buy it in an instant (why I am interested in the 3 blade XOAR). Just looking for more blade area.

As with anything, there is a trade off, and it does take a lot of time to really know if you have improved something (or just deluded yourself!).

I am pretty happy with the APC 12" prop so am not complaining about its performance at all. However if something as simple as a prop change would improve things, I would be all for it!

Like I said, for me the starting point for a test would be to match lap speeds, then look at level flight power, and then maneuvering power. Now I like as low as possible level flight power, and just the opposite for the maneuvers. If the prop would pull more watts during the maneuvers it is loading the motor more, and then to my way of thinking, it is probably keeping the airspeed up in the climb (and keeping it down in the dive). And then there is the subjective "feel" in the maneuvers. Also you need to vary the conditions (like wind) to make sure it is a keeper!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
The paper by Adkins and Liebeck starts with Larrabee's and tweaks it a bit, as I remember.  Larrabee was a modeler and Larry Renger's professor and friend. 

The Abbot and Von Doenhoff book is noteworthy because Von Doenhoff is George Aldrich's cousin.  The airfoil data is at high Reynolds number, but there is some cool stuff there ne'ertheless.  I haven't looked for airfoils for awhile, so I'm out of date.  For our Reynolds number, you might start with http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html .  There's good stuff in Profilpolaren für den Modellflug (approx. title) by Dieter Althaus.  As I remember the Clark Y 6.9 therein looked like the bees' knees for a prop airfoil.  Then there's the issue of how to make an accurate airfoil that wee.   The APC guy can do it, and probably does, which may be why APC props are so good. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »
It would be neat if APC would tell us what airfoil they are using. I just visited the APC site and ordered some props (there goes another $45!) and there is some information there about the airfoils he is using. I know that his design is proprietary information, but some of his competitors seem to just be copying his actual props  (now that is irritating! HB~>), so I'm not sure if he would lose any technical advantage by actually telling us. But I might be wrong. The airfoils themselves are available to all I guess, so maybe that wouldn't be a good idea for APC!

I also wonder if the actual shape of the prop matters very much (for example, the scimitar and tip shape). I am not sure if this is included in most of the prop calculations.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »
Alan,
In some ways dialing a prop with electric is easier, well certainly more accurate if not easier.
Yes to get a real feel for what its doing, you need to maintain as much constant as possible, so adjusting lap times would be a good approach IMHO. However, that being said, If the lap times are close, it might be interesting as well, to explore how they manuever at the same setting.
with a glow engine, the needle setting is somewhat less predictable because the engine responds rpm wise to the load. In some of my experiences with glow, I have swapped two props that are just minutely different and left the needle the same.
Bottom line,, it does take time, and attention to detail to get any valid information comparatively with props.
Is it worth it,, I would say most definitely. I have had props that fly the plane at exactly the same lap times, and perform VASTLY different in maneuvering. I have had a setup that felt really good, and then experimenting found out that it wasn't as good as I thought it was when I bolted THE prop on there and flew it. BIG noticeable difference at the handle.
Is it worth YOUR time ? only you can decide, you may find that what you have is in fact the optimum,, however in my humble opinion, the act of experiementing, and trying different props is worth it if for no other reason than to increase your awareness of how the different parts of the system interact.

Mark,
I completely agree with you that electric does eliminate a lot of variables that you have with glow engines. After all, you can measure the motor stuff and eliminate a lot of BS. Just read all the stuff about stuffing in 75 engines in 40 size planes along with the prop comments to validate your statement! (sort of reminds me of the comments a few years back about 4 strokes where the laws of physics seem to be suspended when you swapped a heavy 4 stroke for a light 2 stroke engine!---cg didn't matter...etc.,  etc.....)

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
Here's a resource for some prop information. I have not really read through it but it looks interesting.

http://www.bolly.com.au/book.html

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:11:32 PM »
Here's another source I found that should give everyone something to chew on even if you only read  the sample chapter. The interesting thing is that it is pointed at model airplanes and not full sized aircraft (although the author does refer to full sized studies and real world examples).

http://www.supercoolprops.com/buybook.php

If you have time I suggest you read some of the other articles on this website, they are fascinating!! (especially if you are bit of science nerd!)

Bob
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:35:14 PM by bfrog »
Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the references.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here