News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop slip on motor shaft  (Read 988 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Prop slip on motor shaft
« on: February 10, 2023, 09:01:44 AM »
I am having a tough time getting props tight on the front mount BadAss 5mm shaft. I am using a typical collar clap-on prop mount. Has anyone found a method to prevent slippage when tightening down?

I was thinking that maybe taking a cutoff wheel and roughening up the shaft might do it but would like to hear what others have done.

Best,     DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Prop slip on motor shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 10:55:06 AM »
I am having a tough time getting props tight on the front mount BadAss 5mm shaft. I am using a typical collar clap-on prop mount. Has anyone found a method to prevent slippage when tightening down?

I was thinking that maybe taking a cutoff wheel and roughening up the shaft might do it but would like to hear what others have done.

Best,     DennisT
I have had the same problem.  What I am doing now is pre tightening the prop nut so that I have to use moderate force to get the collet onto the shaft.  It seems to hold just enough for me to get the prop nut to grab.  It was so bad when I was using Cobra motors that I put a hole in the bottom of the cowl so that I could slip an 1/8" wood dowel into it and hold the can just enough to get it started.  My biggest issue though was the spinner.  I use plastic because, well I am cheap, and the backplate and prop alignment was always off.  On a profile, I just hold the can.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 11:37:08 AM »
1/32 ply disc CA'd to the back of the prop.  I only have had problems with Carbon props and the ply disc fixed it.
Fred

Offline Frank Donnelly

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »
I think we are talking about 2 different issues. One is the collet slipping on the shaft, the other is the prop slipping on the collet. I had the first issue with a Badass motor on a 5mm shaft. One of my flying buddies, Ken Cook, told me to spray the shaft with some accelerator or wipe it with alcohol. I thought that was a little crazy but he has never steered me wrong. I tried it and it work instantly, the collet grabbed on to the shaft with no slippage.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 08:36:57 PM »
Might be like the supre tigre , where any grime defunctionalises it .

Maybe washing all the pieces in solvent would let them key up .

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »
What I finally found that works on my BadAss 2320 motor is to slip a very thin (wheel collar size) allen wrench through the back of the motor (away from the windings) to hold the motor can from turning, then tighten the prop nut. This has worked completely and did not damage to the motor.

Best,    DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 06:16:31 PM »
What I finally found that works on my BadAss 2320 motor is to slip a very thin (wheel collar size) allen wrench through the back of the motor (away from the windings) to hold the motor can from turning, then tighten the prop nut. This has worked completely and did not damage to the motor.

Best,    DennisT
I do the same thing.  On my 3520 in my PA ship I have an access hole in the bottom of the cowl to let me slide the wrench into the slots.  All it takes is for the collet to grab just a little then you can tighten the hell out of it without the wrench in there.  Another thing that I have found that works is to sneak up on it then give it a quick quarter turn, almost a snap, while putting some side pressure on the prop right before it figures out what you are doing so it can't turn the motor shaft into Teflon. ???

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here