News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop Braking to a Stop  (Read 1945 times)

Offline dynasoar1948

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Prop Braking to a Stop
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
Gentlemen,

Some of you may have seen My posts on Electric Speed.  I would like inputs from those of you who have used Castle ESCs' Brake function.  I want to to stop my prop horizontally as the airplane slows from about 125 MPH to landing at maybe 40 MPH after a lap or so glide.  The motor is an AVEOX 1415-2 which has magnetic centering that mimics a flat 12 four stroke engines compression.  Without any Brake input the 8/8 prop barely seems to slow during the glide.

I'll be calling Castle next week so it would be good to know how effective the brake settings are in stunt.  Does the prop tend to stop?  How different are the settings?  If the prop does stop, does it seek any particular position?  I could come up with a position sensor to tell when the prop is horizontal; also some kind of pin/disc setup on the spinner which would move forward when power is cut (but sure would prefer not to!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,   Will Stewart
William Stewart

Alan Hahn

Re: Prop Braking to a Stop
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
The brake works just fine for me --12-6 prop on a Scorpion 3020 motor.

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »
Alan,

I'm glad the brake works fine for you.  Does fine mean that the prop stops?  In flight?  In the same postiion?
What brake setting, etc...

Will
William Stewart

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
Alan,

I'm glad the brake works fine for you.  Does fine mean that the prop stops?  In flight?  In the same postiion?
What brake setting, etc...

Will

Will,
Yes it does stop in flight, but not necessarily in the same location. There may be preferred spots-- at one time I was convinced that was vertical!, but after more flights it seems more random. So for speed applications it might be problematic. What I am saying is that as far as I know, the ESC doesn't know anything about the absolute orientation of the rotor.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »
One thing that comes to mind is that the timer has an extra servo function (they call it a "retract" gear feature). I was thinking whether it might be possible to use a microservo to push out a plastic stop into the prop arc after the motor was throttled down (that might take a little experimentation with the different timing periods in the timer). Of course this is a big complication.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »
One detail would be how to get the stop out of the way--typically the retract retracts after takeoff!  Hmmmm

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
Alan,

How about a switch in the retract path. Determine the interval for the retract to function (ie: retract) and after that interval activate the switch to allow the retract to deploy at the proper time. Humm, I think the motor continues to run after the deploy of the gear so that would be a PROBLEM!!

My guess is that if you turn Will Hubin loose with this problem he can come up with a timer that deploys a servo to stop the prop just after the brake is activated. Can't speak for Will but this just might be a challenge he would rise to.

John 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:03:57 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 10:41:08 PM »
Alan,

Howard Doering's A record ship uses a brush motor which, due to brush drag, stops the prop in flight.  Using a carbon prop, as the airplane settles in, the prop moves from whatever position it has assumed to horizontal.  I don't recall any landings with the prop vertical, but anything within about 45 deg of horizontzal seems to work.  I don't recall any scuffing of the prop, though there must have been some light abrasion.

Do you think the brake force, once the prop has stopped,  would allow the prop to be brushed to horizontal?  As another possibility, a single bladed prop would double my chances of success with the standard brake.

I could make a sensor disc which would provide a signal when the prop has braked to a bad position.  The brake could be relaxed for an instant and try again.

Will keep all advised,  Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 06:12:27 AM »
My experience after 2 years of flying Electric F2B is that the brake function on various ESCs takes the revs back to 2 or 3 per second while gliding in for touchdown. At that point the prop usually stands still. It's adequate enough for the judges to see that it's not a landing glide under power. And that's all the rules require.
The brake function works because the moving magnets are inducing a current in the windings. By shorting these, a counter-torque builds up that works against the movement of the magnets. At flying speed ( just after switching off power) this torque cannot entirely overcome the driving power of the (then) windmilling prop, but there's a good braking effect anyhow.
It will be a lot more difficult to stop a prop on a speed model, because the forces that are driving the windmilling are considerably higher.
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »
Well mine actually stops (12-6 APC), but the question for speed is also the orientation---since their landing gear are left behind on the dolly after takeoff (for most cases anyway!).

As to whether the brake function is strong enough to stop the prop depends on the torque on a windmilling prop. The speed props are pretty small, thin, and high pitched compared to stunt props, so I am not sure how it would play out. I suppose one way to see would be to make a setup that you could put on your car and see if the brake is strong enough (or simply go outside and try today--we are suppose to get 50mph windspeeds this evening!)

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
Alan,

In full scale flying, over the years, I've experimented with windmilling of fixed pitch props, and have heard tales from other pilots as well.  Generally an engine in normal mechanical condition will windmill in a glide and can be stopped by slowing and pitching up.  It will remaind stopped (providing improved L/D) until restarted in a shallow dive.

I gather that the braking function is proportional to RPM and vanishes when the prop is stopped, with motor magnetics holding the prop in position as speed bleeds off.

This may work for me unless the prop stops vertically.

Will
William Stewart

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
As John Cralley suggested above, I could easily add a servo swing to any of my 3-pot timers (which have a port free). The microservo could either move a dowel horizontally to sweep the prop to a horizontal position after it stops (or nearly stops) or it could push out a dowel from the right wing before the prop has stopped rotating. (Servos respond to the same 1.0 to 2.0 ms pulse widths normally used for our throttle-channel substitutes, so it is pretty easy to implement.)

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
Hi Will,

Glad you joined the discussion.  Your timers are working very well for me. The one in my B ship has the pushbutton bypassed since, somehow I managed to have a drop of CA fall on it.  Anyway, your suggestion of a rod moving forward on brake application at the right side of the motor shaft axis, to intersect the prop (or perhaps a contoured spinner backplate) is the best so far.--Maybe a disc with two holes.

As things stand now, my airplane (pictures elsewhere on the Forum) has a forward wire skid long enough to protect the prop, but soft enough to bend on every landing (either I land too hard, or the length of 1/8 music wire was not properly tempered).  I have now made a plywood panel, carbon fibered to the front of the wire and the bottom of the fuselage.  Since it is close behind the prop, its contoured like a stator in cross section.  Possibly it will stabilize the wire enough, and recover enough momentum to null out its' drag.  We'll see at the December meet.

I don't want to reprogram  my CC ESC for brake yet, but will try the brake after the meet.  If the prop stops for me, the next step would be to discuss the prop-stop function.

Best regards,  Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
If there is no braking but the prop is just windmilling, I would think that a rod coming out from the right side to intercept and stop the prop would not be likely to take very much force or hurt the prop; of course there is the tiny chance that it would choose to come out just as the blade was passing by...

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
AFAIK, there is no reason not to use a brake, now that the new CC software supports it. What I have chosen is a hard brake (full on), with a "gentle"turnon--but minimum delay. I don't recall the exact terms in the software, but there are three parameters as I indicate. You do want the brake to come on smoothly and not put full braking power in one blast--prop might go spinning off!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:24 AM »
Will,

Maybe a somewhat flexible plastic or rubber rod would minimize or eliminate any chance of damage to the prop.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »
Just run a nyrod pushrod (nylon sliding in a nylon tube) forward from the servo.  Small enough to get past any motor, easy to install.  If the motor is not trying to run, it will be strong enough to stop a speed prop.  It might not stop an 11 or 12 inch folder, though.  We tried it on an RC glider back in the early '90's and the aluminum prop hub was just cutting the nyrod off.  When we tried putting some wire inside the nyrod, it would break the nyrod out of the fuselage nose ring.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here