News:

• May 24, 2024, 04:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chasing the Electron's Tail  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Stuntflyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Chasing the Electron's Tail
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
Hi,

Just returned from the Nats and have come across an interesting anomaly that has Wayne and I scratching our heads. We did some test flights on our new electric ships there and actually had Wayne's grandson Sam fly his electric ship in Sr. Stunt. The timer and electric components performed flawlessly throughout the morning of Sam's flights with everything working just as expected. Sam was lucky enough to win Sr. Stunt, so we prepared his ship for a couple of Walker Cup flights that afternoon.

The ship sat out on the very hot tarmac all day that day. We put a fresh battery in for his first Walker Cup flight and again, everything worked flawlessly from beginning to end. After the first flight was over, Wayne and Sam swapped out the battery for a fresh one since Sam would fly again in just a couple more flights. The plane again sat out on the tarmac, this time with battery loaded, for about 20 minutes before Sam's next flight. On Sam's second flight, the motor unexpectedly shut down right after the vertical eights. It was not the timer shutting it down, we did not get the distinctive three blips of power down, it seemed to be the Schulze esc shutting it down.

Didn't get to fly again after that, but talked to some real knowledgeable electric guys here in Tampa when we went to fly at our weekly indoor R/C session. The most common theory was that we allowed the Thunderpower Pro-Lite V2 3900 mah battery to get too warm before the second flight. Learned all about the "squishes" and "puffs" that can occur because of the different chemistry these batteries use and were advised to always keep these batteries and the plane in the shade until it is time to go. We did get some "squish" in these batteries (a swelling of the plastic wrap around the battery from released gases). If you squeeze on the plastic wrap with two fingers, the wrap will squish down a bit before you feel the cells. "Puffs" are when the cells actually deform and we noticed none of these.

The general consensus was the batteries should be OK, they still charge and hold the proper charge. The chemistry in these batteries is apparently different than previous batteries and they react differently to changes in temperature. Heat them up a bit and the electrons flow like crazy, they are rated at 40C. Apparently car racers do this up to a point to get off to fast starts when using these batteries and the theory was the battery temperature was too high at the start of Sam's second flight and that is what caused the premature shutdown. Heat them up too much, and you get a squish or puff.

Finally got a brand new 3300 mah V2 battery in Friday, so went to Wayne's house this morning to do some testing. Put in the brand new fully charged 3300 battery and started a six minute test run. Purchased a fancy laser temperature gauge to measure the exact temperature of each of the components. The battery and other component temperatures were at 84 degrees at the start of the test. Running an APC 13X4.5 pusher prop. Everything started out normal, put in the arming switch, turned on the timer and the cycle began. Motor slowly spooled up to 100% power and then backed off to the 50% power setting we had programmed. After just one minute of running, the motor abruptly and prematurely shut down again. We were running this test in a static position, but measured the temperatures immediately after the test. The Plettenberg Orbit 25/12 motor was about 104 degrees, battery was about 107 degrees and Schulze speed control was about 125 degrees. In reading the literature, it does not seem we exceeded any of the maximum operating temperatures, you could touch any of them with your thumb for at least six seconds. The new battery did not develop any squish.

We ran another test by connecting our Extrema charger in wattmeter mode. In just connects between the battery and speed control via the Deans pins. If I read correctly, the Z-Tron Z.4 timer starts it routine by going to low throttle for five seconds and then spooling up to maximum throttle for another 5 seconds to find the ends of the speed range and to calibrate itself. It then ramps down to your programmed starting speed, in our case, 50%.  

Observing the wattmeter on this 40 second run through, we noticed when the timer runs the motor to maximum speed, the speed control was actually drawing 67 amps. The Schulze 18.46K F2B speed control is rated at 46/60 amps with 46 amps being the nominal load for sustained running and the 60 amps being the maximum load. We obviously are exceeding the 60 amp maximum and this is the only parameter we can find that is not within specifications. Once the motor ramped down to the 50% setting, we were only drawing 40 amps. The Schulze instructions tell you the speed controller will shut things down if too much current is drawn, but it was strange this shutdown did not occur as the motor was winding up to maximum speed in the very beginning. It did not shut down at all during the 40 second timed run-through, but it shut down every time we tried after about a minute on a six minute run-through even though it had already reached the lower power setting and was drawing only 40 amps. I have heard Schulze typically "under-rates" their speed controller specifications while others sometimes overrate theirs.

We are not sure if we might have damaged the speed controllers, but they seem to work every time, just getting the premature shutdown after about a minute of running on the ground or about four minutes in the air on the last flight.

We are really chasing the electrons tail on this one, not sure if anyone is familiar enough with these various components to send us in the right direction. Will continue to research and have already contacted Schulze for some help. The Schulze speed control and Plettenberg motor apparently work very well together based on some tests Will Hubin did on some of Paul Walkers stuff at the Nats. Might need a bigger speed control or perhaps try a different timer that does not ramp the motor up to maximum power, not sure at this point.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim Smith
(Smith Brothers Stunt)
AMA 41899

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Chasing the Electron's Tail
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
Great to hear that Sam won Sr. Stunt with an electric and really sorry to hear about the shut down!!

Are you absolutely sure that you did not accidentally install a battery that had not been recharged after a previous flight (don't ask how I might know to ask this)???

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »
Lol . . . I won't ask. We had 9 freshly charged batteries and a meter to measure them with before installing in plane. Same thing happened with 3 different batteries.

After perusing the Schulze web site this afternoon, I now suspect our speed controller is too small but I certainly could be wrong. That particular speed control has now been discontinued and replaced by the larger 18.61K F2B speed control. It has nominal amperage for normal flight at 60 amps and max at 81 amps. Ugh,  a little more weight. Figure that must be it, but glad I learned about battery "squishes" and "puffs" anyway since I now have some.

Might be able to just use a different timer which doesn't ramp up to maximum power during the start sequence, not too sure about that, will just wait to hear from Schulze.

We all had a great time at the Nats as usual and Sam sure did a good job flying up to his ability. He was very smooth and did a great job considering the amount of practice he gets - even had a great save during the Walker Cup when his motor quit abruptly - had us all clapping on that one.

I'll post again when I hear back from Schulze or Etienne at Icare. Need to find out which controller I need for the 20/16 Plettenberg I just ordered as well.

Jim S.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:18:15 AM »
I ma thinking maybe it is not electrons that have to be chased here????
I am thinking at the 67A necessary to drive that prop. It is a bit high and it may come from a dragging bearing or spinner rubbing on the nose of the plane it can be just something more subtle like when you push those hard G’s the whole thing is flexing because a rear mount that places all the weight and stress on one side of the mounting. You may want to look in that direction too.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
Jim,

I can only think of two things that can cause an abrupt shutdown as you are describing.  One is a thermal shutdown and the other is a low voltage shutdown.  By reading your description it doesn't sound like heat is the problem.  I did some research on the 3300 Prolite V2 battery and it is rated for 66 amps continuous.  The battery voltage may be dropping below the minimum value that the esc allows and shutting the system down.  I must say that 67 amps seems quite high, but I have no experience with the the Schulze controller or Plettenberg motor.  Also, I wouldn't recommend running the power system in a static condition for very long at all.  The airflow is minimal and the static loads are greater than the in flight loads.  I would connect your wattmeter and run the system for 10 seconds or so and watch the voltage closely.  I didn't notice how many cells your are running, but you should never see less than 3 volts per cell or 12 volts for 4s and 15 volts for 5s.  Some esc's allow the user to configure the low voltage shutdown limit.  If the low voltage shutdown is set too high then it would certainly cause the situation you are describing. 

It was nice meeting you and your brother at the nats.

Good luck,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
My 20-16 was at my doorstep when I got back. I plan on running it with my Ice 50 controller some on the bench and see how things work out. I'll post when I find out something.
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »
Please keep us up to date on the investigation!
take care, Darrell

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
Hi All,

Just wanted to update everyone as to our progress on the premature shutdown issue. After speaking with Etienne at Icare as well as browsing the Schulze site, it is most likely an issue with our speed controller being too small. I noticed on the Schulze site they have now discontinued the 18.46L F2B speed control.

I recently heard back from Etienne who I believe had spoken to someone at Schulze and he did verify they think the issue is the combination of the 25/12 Plettenberg paired with the 18.46 speed control. The type of battery we are using also likely played a role in this mysterious occurrence.

The nominal amp rating of this speed control is 40 amps. My understanding of nominal is that 40 amps is the most one should draw in a continuous fashion. The speed control has a maximum rating of 61 amps which again, to my understanding, would be a maximum burst of 61 amps. Etienne stated Schulze had indicated the speed control was too small and was shutting down based on one of the parameters, most likely the 40 amp nominal. We use the Z-Tron Z.4 timer which as part of it's start-up routine is to go from low throttle to high throttle - about 5 seconds each. While some do not like the 5 seconds of high throttle to help synchronize the throttle, I actually love it. That is one powerful combination and when you hear that baby spool up to maximum power, there is no doubt there is an awesome amount of power inside that airplane. The speed control did not shut down during the ramp up to max power where we measured 67 amps draw, it was only shutting down after being in flight at least 3-4 minutes. Schulze apparently underestimates their ratings just a bit, otherwise it should have shut down on the ramp up to high throttle setting. Could be drawing over the max in manuevers, but it is just as likely it is drawing too much continuous amperage during manuevers.

Schulze now offers the 18.61K F2B speed controller and has discontinued the 18.46K F2B though a few are still to be had. Bad news is the new 18.61 controller weighs an additional 1.75 ounces - ouch.

Etienne also told me he has no reports of problems using the 18.46 controller with the smaller Plettenberg 20/16. I have one of the new Schulze 18.61 controllers as well as a new 20/16 Plettenberg on the way, so I am sure we will shortly be sorting all of this out. My guess is our current set-up will be fine once we swap out the 25/12 Plett with the 20/16. 25/12 should now be OK once we swap out the old controller with the new.

We have also confirmed the Thunderpower V2 3300 mah battery is large enough to get us to six minutes with the proper margin of safety for long battery life using these components. May try a Hyperion G3 battery as well - talked to Bob Hunt about these and while they are heavier than a comparable 3300 mah Thunderpower, they do not use as much energy. Might be able to go to a 2950 mah in a Hyperion battery - I will report if I try one of these out.

Jason mentioned one should only run static tests on electric motors for very short durations and I agree. We have never run in a static position more than one minute because of temperature concerns, one just doesn't get the same cooling with the aircraft on the ground. I used my laser temperature probe to get a reading of the concrete slab in my back yard at home in the middle of the day to see what the temperature was. It was a blistering 126 degrees at 2 o'clock. Air temp was about 91 here in Tampa that day. 

Thanks for everyones thoughts and shared knowledge, still learning, but loving electric so far. I'll post some more once we get to run some more tests.

Jim Smith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
How many cells in your battery?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Hi Howard,

We started out with 5 cell Thunderpower 3900 mah V2 prolite batteries - a whopping 15.8 ounces each. Have since discovered we can make the 6 minutes with a 3300 mah 5 cell V2 prolite battery. Will be looking to sell the 3900's at some point, so if you know anyone looking for any, send them my way - we have nine of them.

Haven't tried much on four cell batteries yet, but do have one 4 cell battery. You can really tell the difference if you leave all your power or rpm settings the same and then swap from a 4S to a 5S. I think the 4S may work OK with a Plettenberg, certainly would have to boost the power numbers to get anything close to resembling the performance of the 5S. With the Plettenberg 25/12 and the 5S 3900mah, we have the power percentage on the Z-Tron Z.4 timer set to 50%. That was actually the first indication I had that perhaps the 25/12 was a bit larger than really needed.

Funny story - first time we tried this whole electric configuration, I modified one of my new Tracers and retrofit the thing in there. We had no base line to start from, so we just set the power at 100% to see where we were. Holy cow - thank god we only set the duration for two minutes. We fly on 64 foot lines which puts us pretty close to the max 70 feet, but that first flight running the 13/4.5 APC pusher we turned 4.1 lap times. That was a very long two minutes - wasn't sure which would break first, my shoulder or the 0.018 lines :) Luckily everything held together though I now have one arm longer than the other :)

I'm excited to get the new stuff in so we can sort this out to decide what set-up will be best. Think it will be the 20/16 Plettenberg and the 18.46K F2B Schulze esc. Will save about an ounce and three quarters going to the smaller motor. Will save almost another two full ounces going to the 3300 mah batteries. That will actually put us below the magical 75 ounce total weight so we can go back to 0.018 lines and save on all that extra drag.

Jim S.

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »
I have experienced motor shutdowns in my RC planes due to excessive current flow in the ESC.  I agree that the size of your ESC along with high temperature is probably the root cause of your troubles.

Roger Anderson

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »
Hi Roger,

That is our theory at the moment - seems to make the most sense. I am sure the ground temp at the Nats this year was at least 125 degrees which just made those little electrons in the battery a bit happier - pretty sure the shutdown was just too much current through the ESC. I'll know for sure once I get the new components in.

Jim Smith

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
If my math is right, and thats a big if, you only have 2600 usable mah in a 3300 pack. You would have to draw only 66% of your 40 amp static load for a 6 min flight. Is the in air load that much less?

Rob

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
Hi Howard,

We started out with 5 cell Thunderpower 3900 mah V2 prolite batteries - a whopping 15.8 ounces each. Have since discovered we can make the 6 minutes with a 3300 mah 5 cell V2 prolite battery. Will be looking to sell the 3900's at some point, so if you know anyone looking for any, send them my way - we have nine of them.

Haven't tried much on four cell batteries yet, but do have one 4 cell battery. You can really tell the difference if you leave all your power or rpm settings the same and then swap from a 4S to a 5S. I think the 4S may work OK with a Plettenberg, certainly would have to boost the power numbers to get anything close to resembling the performance of the 5S. With the Plettenberg 25/12 and the 5S 3900mah, we have the power percentage on the Z-Tron Z.4 timer set to 50%. That was actually the first indication I had that perhaps the 25/12 was a bit larger than really needed.

Funny story - first time we tried this whole electric configuration, I modified one of my new Tracers and retrofit the thing in there. We had no base line to start from, so we just set the power at 100% to see where we were. Holy cow - thank god we only set the duration for two minutes. We fly on 64 foot lines which puts us pretty close to the max 70 feet, but that first flight running the 13/4.5 APC pusher we turned 4.1 lap times. That was a very long two minutes - wasn't sure which would break first, my shoulder or the 0.018 lines :) Luckily everything held together though I now have one arm longer than the other :)

I'm excited to get the new stuff in so we can sort this out to decide what set-up will be best. Think it will be the 20/16 Plettenberg and the 18.46K F2B Schulze esc. Will save about an ounce and three quarters going to the smaller motor. Will save almost another two full ounces going to the 3300 mah batteries. That will actually put us below the magical 75 ounce total weight so we can go back to 0.018 lines and save on all that extra drag.

Jim S.

I was wondering if you had too much current with five cells in series or four.  If it's five, I'm a little worried.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
On those TP 3300 18.5v batteries(had 2 of them with3 flights on each) I've used them with a Rimfire 32-800kv and I've put back 2260mah on avg. And my motor output is reduced from 100% to a avg of 75-80% vs a 4 cell of the same capacity. This is why Paul is using TP 2600s in his latest plane cause the Orbit 20-16 has a kv rating of 720.
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here