News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Progress report on the Sky Sport 350e  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Progress report on the Sky Sport 350e
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Larry and I are continuing the trim process on the SS 350e.  Things were going well until we let a  friend fly the plane, his initials are Eric Rule.  I have to be honest Larry and I knew about this problem and Eric was not ready for it.

Here goes we can now do every maneuver in the pattern, but we do have a serious problem to resolve.  Above 45 degrees the plane has a yaw in tendency.  This makes for dicey overhead and for that matter anything up high.  The problem is less serious with the wind you your back, but where we fly the wind tends to change direction frequently.  That, in my opinion, is what got Eric.  I took the plane home and made the repairs, I also removed some test lead in the nose and move the battery forward to get the CG where Larry believes it should be.  We discussed the yaw problem and think it could be related to gyroscopic pressesion above 45 degrees.  The yaw does not occur in outside maneuvers and line tention below 45 degrees is perfect.  Anyway I am taking some advice I got on this site about using a  pusher prop and reverse the motor direction. 

Larry and I will hopefully get a chance to test the latest changes sometime this week.  We are both still very hopeful on this project.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Progress report on the Sky Sport 350e
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »
As additional details, the model maneuvers well both inside and outside, except for the yaw problem.  50' lines seem to be plenty of maneuvering room, and lap times are not too fast.  With the more forward CG, the flight has smoothed out.  Agree with Andy that the line tension is excellent in level flight.

We are suspecting gyroscopic precession as being the culprit causing yaw.  Eric's crash happened on sharp entry to the wingover.  The model came in at him immediately.  This was at low altitude.  Happily, we were still using the radio to run the motor, and it was power off by the time it hit the ground.  Too bad we don't have reverse, like the cars.   LL~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:10:25 AM »
Hi Larry/Andy,

Dennis is sending me some APC 11 x 4.5 pusher props. I will get them to you when they arrive. They may help with your problem. The pusher helps all the time in all plane positions. :-)  If you are using the 12 x 6 , I have an extra pusher for you too.

Great truck, a friend has one and loves it!

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
Since this is a "15" size plane, it is currently using a 9x4.5 prop.  It is only 25 ounces and 350 sq.in. after all.  Power is a Rimfire 10.  The 11x4.5 may be a bit too much for the motor.

The model sports twin rudders, so the usual propwash effects should be minimal.  In level flight, rapidly changing the motor rpm has no noticeable effect, so I don't think true torque is the issue.  Torque won't yaw a model anyway, it rolls it.  Roll is not the problem, yaw is.  Sooooo, we are back to precession as the likely culprit.  In which case, we will have killer yaw on outsides, instead of insides, and the top two turns on the hourglass will be instant death.

Possible solution?  What about going to an inrunner motor and a much smaller prop, but higher rpm?  The outrunners and the huge props they swing are very efficient, but the gyro effects are much greater than the other solution.  An inrunner turning a "wet" 8x4 prop at 12K may work a lot better than the outrunner at 10K for this model.

DesignMan

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
I installed a pusher 9 x 4.5 yesterday and reversed a couple of the motor connections.  I am waiting for an opportunity to go flying with Larry to see what if any effect the pusher makes.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »
Larry:

I wonder if you have the ability to remove the two rudders for a flight or two - it could be that they are causing your yaw problems ... perhaps a difference in the glow design and the electric design caused by the larger propellor used in electric or a spiral airflow issue?  I don't have anything specific to point to, but it is something that catches my eye ....

We had a very unstable yaw/roll coupling issue in an RC plane many years ago that had twin rudders mounted well off the center line - we fixed it by removing them and replacing with a single fin/rudder of roughly equal area.  We theorized that when the model started to yaw, one of them was getting blanked out by the fuselage and at about the same time, the model would start to roll due to sweep in the wing, and snap roll into the turf.  For whatever reason, the change made a much more docile model.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »
Mike
That is an interesting observation.  If reversing the motor does not eliminate the problem that would be a good next move.  I am concerned that the fins sticking out at the end of the horizontal stabilizer could cause some problem.  I have to be honest we have never seen the problem on the half-A version.  But that does not mean it can't happen on a larger model.  Thanks for your input.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
I installed a pusher 9 x 4.5 yesterday and reversed a couple of the motor connections.  I am waiting for an opportunity to go flying with Larry to see what if any effect the pusher makes.
Andy
u-da-man!  That should make a sizable improvement.  I am curious how the reverse pitch slipstream will deal with the twin fins...

BTW the dimensions: 350 squares & a 9x4.5 prop match up well with a Super Clown, the 25 oz weight is BETTER than the typical 30 oz or worse electric SC.  THe SC flies on 60' lines, and I think I saw you are flying on 50'.  Have you given any thought to putting it out on longer lines that would enable you to fly higher air speed for a given lap time?  Unfortunately that will require more battery....
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »
Ahem and harrumph, there seems to have been a problem, Houston.  It seems that the stab was canted to give in-turning rudder with the twin tails.  I shall blush on behalf of the culprit who built the model, and myself for not looking at that earlier.  We will have another test session tomorrow.  That problem has been corrected.  No names, please.

I took out my kid's gyroscope and did some live testing, and if precession really was a problem, it would be exactly the opposite of what we thought.  With a right hand (standard rotation) prop, you get outboard yaw on up and inboard on down.  Reality beats theory every time!  Dang.   HB~>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:24:48 PM by Larry Renger »

DesignMan

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
Hi Larry,

It's OK. Andy told me that if it had been flown near the south pole on Mars, in a clockwise direction, with the Berilium spheres correctly connected to the flux capacitor, THEN it would have flown perfectly. ...... He said that he thought you knew that he built it that way, just in case?  n~
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »
I sit here shamed before my friends and fellow modelers.  Yes, I confess yesterday afternoon I took a good look at the elevator and low and behold it was off by a couple of degrees.  I worked feverishly to correct the problem and this morning our yaw problem was solved.  Oh well who among us has never erred.  This now allowed us to move on to the next two issues.

Issue number 1.  We have observed this problem twice today on two different battery packs.  After flying for a couple of minutes we landed to tweak some trim settings and when we returned to flight the power was way off.  I swapped the battery and everything was fine until we landed again to switch pilots and we had the same power drop problem.  Now I will confess these are cheap Li Poly battries and maybe this is "You get what you pay for" type problem, has anybody else seen this kind of problem.

Issue number 2.  When running the motor at full throttle in static tests if we make sudden changes in pitch the motor makes some not so nice sounds and seems to slow a bit.  It sounds like maybe some side load on the bearings is causing the bearins to howl a bit.  Again this is not a high end motor.  Again it may be another attack of "You get what you pay for".

Appreciate any help on these issues.  As I mentioned to  Larry at least we are making progress, every step seems to be a step in the right direction.  Larry also made an observation, it probably was not a good decision to attempt this project with a untried plane and untried power system.  But we are learning.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »
Issue number 1.  We have observed this problem twice today on two different battery packs.  After flying for a couple of minutes we landed to tweak some trim settings and when we returned to flight the power was way off.  I swapped the battery and everything was fine until we landed again to switch pilots and we had the same power drop problem.  Now I will confess these are cheap Li Poly battries and maybe this is "You get what you pay for" type problem, has anybody else seen this kind of problem.

Don't have your full set-up in front of me but as I recall you are using a non governing ESC & the "Throttle up" timer.  That set-up will give you the same percentage of PWM throttle setting every time  but the actual RPM will depend on the battery voltage.  In other words if you start with a fully peak charged battery it will give you xx% of the available voltage as RPM.  If you fly and stop.  you burn off some volts.  Restart, you start from a different voltage.  Now the FM-0c timer is designed to ADD throttle over the duration of the flight to help offset the volts being burned off.  It all works pretty well if you are starting from the same point - like a fully charged battery.  That all make sense???

New batteries (hi zoot or cheepies) need to be cycled a few times to really come into there own.  My guess is that your batteries are also coming into trim.

Issue number 2.  When running the motor at full throttle in static tests if we make sudden changes in pitch the motor makes some not so nice sounds and seems to slow a bit.  It sounds like maybe some side load on the bearings is causing the bearins to howl a bit.  Again this is not a high end motor.  Again it may be another attack of "You get what you pay for".

I dunno I'm reminded of the old joke that goes, "Doctor it hurts when I do this." and then the Doc sez "Then don't DO that!"   I'm sorry you didn't need that, but its a cute story.  ALL outrunner motors (with one exception) have the same basic config.  Some have bigger bearings, beefier housings, larger shafts but all are prone to some flexing - and bad things happen when the flexing gets out of hand.  I would suggest that a sudden change in pitch like you describe is probably a lot more violent then the motor will experience in flight.  However that sound is consistant with electric CL & RC models I have seen.  In the air I also think the sound has something to do with the prop cavitating some - but then again I have 70% hearing loss so I am NOT the one to conclusively answer this one!  In short I think you are OK.

BTW I would put the fin caper under the heading that "even Superman has Kryptonite!"  I also think Rudy's explanation is logical.  I am still anxious to hear of back to back tests using the RH and LH rotation 9x4.5's.

KEEP GOING!!!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
Hi Andy,

Being one of those few "... who among us has never erred".....  NOT, ..... I even err in my dreams! LL~ .....

Here is my humble opinion:

1. We need to know how much of the battery (%) you are using for a complete flight. This may help us find the problem. But here are some ideas: Look at the "cut off" setting in your ESC. If you are using a CC ESC with the USB computer hookup then you can see this on your computer screen. Your setting may be so low that a little drop on the battery is not enough to keep your RPM up after a restart. Are you using the governor mode on your ESC? Give us your settings if you can, it will get you some solid answers from others on this forum. What size are your batteries and what are their C rating?

2. I found that our outrunner motors move more than 1/8" on their axis during a flight. This is a measured amount. So if you have anything near your motor, it may be rubbing. This will cause noise, heat, and waste battery energy (don't ask how I know this ;-).

3. Your 3rd point is well taken. I am a big fan of: "you get what you pay for". I know others have used very cheap equip. in RC and CL and it still works. Some of the guys at our ERC field use this cheap equip. Most of the time it works OK. In RC a failure is seldom catastrophic because we cal always roll upright and land etc. There are many failures at our field but they are just laughed off and the failed part is easily, cheaply replaced. IMHO it is different in ECL. Our system stress points are always in precarious parts of the flight. A failure of any part in the ECL power system is often catastrophic to the plane.

I don't expect everyone to select Plenttenberg motors but there are many high quality motors at more modest prices between the top and the bottom cheap motors. The same is true for the other parts of our systems. The price of our quality batteries, Thunder Power and Hyperion, has come down to the point that they are now much less expensive than glow fuel.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to convince anyone what to buy, I do not have any financial interest in any part of the hobby. My take on this issue is that I like to have everything work well and I try to eliminate every possible weak link in the system. In my career these were important issues to take care of and helped insure my (and others) survival. I know there will be those who will chime in and tell us that cheap is OK, and that is fine for them, but I still believe that when it comes to aviation that old saying still applies: "..... penny wise, pound foolish ....".  This is also true: "to each his own" :-)

Regards,  H^^     
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »
Hi Andy,

After reading Dennis's ans., I think he has addressed both of your problems perfectly.    Below are a few more comments:

1. If your timer can not compensate for the V drop, AND you are not using Gov. mode in your ESC, then you are not going to be able to be competitive in CLPA, and you will not have much fun either. Please see my PM to you on this.

2. I agree with Dennis, quickly changing pitch on the ground is much more severe than any movement we experience in the air. AMA combat planes maybe, but not ours. ;-) I think your guess is correct, the bearings are overloaded during your violent ground test. Like I stated, my very accurate measurements shows more that 1/8" movement in up and more than 1/8" in down directions during the pattern. My guess is that your ground test far exceeded these movements of the rotating part of the motor. This would put a lot of stress on the bearings of any motor, at least enough that it is not surprising that they would loudly complain about the torture. ;-)  It is highly likely that excessive prop noise would be heard as well. ...... The $24 question is: Do you hear this during flight???

I would not worry too much about #2, but #1 is a serious problem, fortunately it has an easy solution. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
A couple of clarifications:

1.  We were still using the radio system to control the motor, so the timer and it's functions were out of the loop.  With the radio, high throttle is constant input, no matter what  the battery voltage.  In addition, the power was just fine when we shut the motor off, and anemic when we fired it up again a couple of minutes later.  Howard Doering (current AMA electric C/L speed record holder) points out that the battery is probably warming up as it sits, due to the cessation of airflow over it, and that increases internal resistance.

2.  I was careful to rotate the model at the rates we see in maneuvers, not violently pitch it up and down as fast as possible.  Even the relatively slow pitch of a round maneuver caused the noise.

3.  Air only cavitates at hypersonic speeds.  Separates, yes, but that is a whole different thing.  Separation causes turbulent airflow in the wake, cavitation causes a true vacuum in the wake. 

DesignMan

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
I agree with Rudy that Dennis gave a very good explanation for the first problem and a very likely explanation for the second problem.  Something that came out at last nights club meeting is the fact we were disconnecting the battery each time we landed for safety.  Then  reconnected to start flying again, at this point we had a battery that is at a lower start level than a fully charged battery which leads to the condition we observed.  I also had two other people confirm they have observed the same issue before and one gave the same explanation that Dennis provided.  I think the solution to issue number one is "don't do that" or at least "don't disconnect the battery from the ESC".  Give we are so close to the point when we won't need the R/C assist for trim I am leaning toward getting off the receiver and going to the timer for all future flights.

Again guys thanks for the help. #^
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here