News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Probaly a stupid question but here goes..  (Read 1673 times)

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Probaly a stupid question but here goes..
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
Hi all,
 I'm re joining the clan after a break of around 30 years and decided that as I'm starting from scratch, electric is the way to go. Can I ask a possibly stupid question? :-[

I am going to crash, No argument, it's cast in stone. What happens to my precious motor, batteries, ESC, JMP etc when the inevitable occurs? I've "Sort of" got my head around IC/Electric comparisons, Battery types, ESC AMP ratings etc. The  physical damage I accept, but a minor ding which stops the prop dead? Will it all overheat and cook everything or do ESC's contain a thermal cut-off, is there a separate in-line option? Do you fly with a fused system, if so what rating in comparison to the overall system rating? I'm joining my local club but no one has any real interest in electric so I'm on my own, The last thing I want to do is confirm their worst suspicions and set the flying field alight.  :o I've scoured the boards for an answer but I guess you guys don't crash.  :) If I missed it just point me at the thread.

Many Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Alan Hahn

Re: Probaly a stupid question but here goes..
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:34:51 PM »
I want to say all ESC's have a high current limit in which they will cut off, but it is possible that some of the cheaper ones don't. At least my Castle Creation's do.

I won't say that I don't crash, and have had a few incidents where my prop has struck the ground and twisted off the weak motor mount that I had made, but in all cases the ESC will cut off. I have seen currents up to 80A though (for a temporary prop strike on takeoff) that did not trip off the ESC. So it will wait a little time before tripping off.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »
Yup, I've seen one of Alan's "incidents".  LL~ LL~ LL~  See you at Rockford next week?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »
Crist,
Thanks for backing me up H^^. I was planning to be at Rockford.

Getting back to this thread, one thing I have been thinking about is how to make a CL "trainer". Now I don't expect a trainer to survive itself, but it is true that most glow engines survive the learning experience. However I am not sure how robust the electric motor/battery combo is against crashing. The biggest issue is that the motor shaft is pretty weak compared to a glow engine of the same capability. Clearly you want to use a spinner, and my guess is that you really would want to mount the battery so it is restrained in a crash--it is about the most expensive single item.

I was thinking that a pusher setup wouuld protect the motor/battery the best. Of course there isn't much out there to copy! Maybe one can bash a current plane to a twin boom pusher. Maybe a TF FLite Streak ARF (about the cheapest thing out there to play with...... #^)

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »
My experience is that for the most part electrics are pretty sturdy however there are a couple of things that can happen. I know because they have happened to me!!

In most cases the ESC will cut off the power when it sees a spike. I don't know about cheap ESC's but moderate and above all seem to have a high current cut off. Use an arming plug or on smaller motors a switch so that you can quickly cut the power from the battery quickly if needed.

Batteries are the next concern. If you crash and distort Lipos they are probably toast (or will turn into toast when you next try to charge them). Be careful with crashed batteries and look for signs of damage, bloating, distortion. I have crashed a number of e-planes and have not yet had a problem mainly because none of the crashes were severe enough to hurt the battery. Most of the time the battery is mounted near the center of the plane and short of breaking the fuse in half the cells are protected. Be sure and build the plane to that the mounting for the battery is sturdy and will hold the heavy weight of the cells during a sudden stop. I use heavy duty velcro on the side of the battery and also on its mounting surface then use a heavy duty velcro strap around the battery and a sturdy part of the fuselage (or two if the battery is  long). When in doubt about a battery check it with a balancer or at the very least charge very slowly and look for puffing or too much heat, WATCH IT CAREFULLY AND DON'T LEAVE UNATTENDED.

The most serious problem I've had with crashes is bending the motor shaft. Electrics tend to run with larger props presenting a large lever arm to the shaft when the prop strikes the ground. You also do not have the compression stroke to deal with which means you can't set the motor to stop at the horizontal position. I have bent two shaft on different motors with fairly heavy crashes. Minor bounces and glancing blows aren't too bad. After an impact check to see if the shaft seems straight. If it is not straight you will probably notice with a lot of vibration when you try and run it again. Most good suppliers should have replacement shafts for their motors and they are not too hard to swap.

The last thing I have encountered is the motor mount. Once again because of the larger props the mounts can take a beating. I try to put at least one layer of fiberglass on the mounting for strength. Stay away from the stick mounts as they are not very strong. When possible mount the motor from its front face. Mounting from the back is ok but I have seen some of them resonate at different speeds.

Now the good parts of electrics. No clean up (yeah). Reliable, easy to use, predictable, you "make" your own fuel, did I mention no clean up? Put the battery in, connect, arm and your flying, really simple.

Just thought I'd throw in my school of hard knocks experience.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:50:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies, really appreciated. Yep The batteries did jump out as being a potential fire hazard. I've initially settled on probably using the A123 cells due to their apparent robustness when compared with LiPo's, plus I used to race R/C electric cars about 15 years ago at competition level and still have most of my old gear so a nicad charger running through a "dapter" seems a cost effective solution. I also have a myriad of assorted motors (Brushed) and while obviously not in the same league as a modern brushless they are high performance motors delivering output well in excess of the usual speed 400/600 offerings, these are basically expendable as they are no longer suitable for anything else. I still have the remains of my old Flightstreak and I think I'll reverse engineer what's left to duplicate dimensions, Rib profiles etc. It is probably a bit oversize for my available powerplants though.  HB~> So.... during the course of this post I think I've come full circle and apart from the A123 cells am again starting from scratch.  ;D

Stupid question #2 Obviously my ESC needs to handle potential power of the flight system but would running say an 80 Amp ESC with a system which will probably only draw at 50% be a problem or is closely matching all the components vital?

Thanks again.

TTFN
John.
BMFA 165249

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55:02 AM »
There should be no problem with using a larger ESC then necessary.

Also the old high quality brushed motors are basically ok. The real revolution which has made E-Lite so easy has been the batteries. For CL, the Lipo pack's low weight and power capacity has been the difference. The A123 are a little heavier, but also seem to work well. Maybe a better choice for those first few "bumps"/

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
Yup, I've seen one of Alan's "incidents".  LL~ LL~ LL~  See you at Rockford next week?

Well I managed to do a "Ground Round" on the Enobler today. Except not such a nice smooth grind. Not a lot of damage, but need to pull out the extra cowl from the  new Arf box (and order a couple more).

That's what I get for trying to improve the wingover! Also proved my point about more than 2 flights. This was the (abbreviated) 3rd flight!

Will be ready (or not!) for Rockford!!!!!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
Uh Oh, is there a trend beginning concerning ground round?    Sorry to hear about the incident! 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »
Well this was more like "pulled pork"!!   hmmm, not too sure if that is the right way to describe it.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »
but I guess you guys don't crash.
Well I managed to do a "Ground Round" on the Enobler today.

:( Ugh, Sorry to hear about that, No need for practical demonstrations..... As far as "Pulled Pork" I won't even go there..  ;D

I've now progressed past the newbie stage of thinking I have got my head around power systems and realised I actually know nothing, I was assuming my brushed knowledge would see me through but there's so much more to it than I originally thought :-[ So much conflicting info out there. Steal someone elses proven package seems to be my best bet for starters. How useful are sites like this? http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp Do they at least give a ball park figure?

Dissecting the old Flight Streak did not go well, it's amazing how a 30 year old nylon bag of broken balsa can maintain the appearance of a reasonable wing.  ??? I'm still hoping to save a rib profile though. The ARF version seems to be a decent option as well, I just wish it was ARC not ARF, Never did like the Topflite colour scheme. :( Where would I put the battery. The short fuselage points to a lot of tail weight to get it to balance, especially with A123 cells until I feel confident enough to go LiPo. Would modifying the wing to accept a "Battery box" in order to place the cells nearer the CG be an option? (Ply Doublers where necessary) or would the extra weight that entails just put me back where I started. Would moving the weight of the batteries closer to the CG help flying characteristics? Sorry for my ramblings but the start-up costs of ECL are scary, X2 when you factor in the fact that my beloved will expect to be able spend at least as much again on shoes, clothes etc.  ;)

[EDIT] Ignore the ramblings about the battery location in the Flight Streak, Just got up to speed with the forum, If Mike Palko sticks it in the wing then that's good enough for me.  :D [/EDIT]

TTFN
John.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:24:42 PM by John Hammonds »
BMFA 165249

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »
I have two Flite Streak ARFs that I've modified for use as ECL trainers. In order to easily try different batteries and motors (and keep the cg in the proper location), I removed the canopy and attached the battery to the top of the fuselage with rubber bands (reinforced the fuselage for hooks with ply). This would make it top heavy but I also added large wheels well forward of the wing to make it easy to make takeoffs and landings on even poor grass. I used a couple of short lengths from hardware corner aluminum to mount the motors, using a rear mount. You might try this, at least to begin with, since it so easy to do compared with rebuilding the wing.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
Hmm.. That's a thought, the simple ideas are frequently the best, I'd have to pay special attention to securing the cells as I plan on using A123 cells (Heavy) until I'm confident enough that I won't be making holes in the flying field every other flight.  :o Mind you, after Igors achievements using A123 cells perhaps the switch to Lipos may not be necessary at all.... The project has currently been delayed unfortunately :( as I've just been made redundant due to "outsourcing"   HB~> I think I have alternative employment lined up but just need a few weeks to confirm, so if I go a bit quiet I've not abandoned ECL just re grouping, Watch this space.

TTFN
John.
BMFA 165249

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »
what about using a prop saver.  that should prevent the motor's shaft from bending. 
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 07:36:50 AM »
I've used prop savers on small motors, but I am not sure how well they would work with the thrust of a 12 inch prop. I've had a few "Encounters of a Close Kind" and so far the shaft has been ok.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here