News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Printed motor mounts.  (Read 888 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Printed motor mounts.
« on: October 25, 2023, 06:58:07 AM »
I had one of the legs break at a contest this past weekend, 10/22. The lower leg held things in place, somewhat, until I noticed the break. At home I removed the motor and drilled through the mount portion into the leg and put a screw in to hold it from letting go again. I CyA'd the part also before installing the screw. I drilled and screwed the good leg also. I flew it the next day and it's ready for El Dorado.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Printed motor mounts.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 07:23:00 AM »
I had one of the legs break at a contest this past weekend, 10/22. The lower leg held things in place, somewhat, until I noticed the break. At home I removed the motor and drilled through the mount portion into the leg and put a screw in to hold it from letting go again. I CyA'd the part also before installing the screw. I drilled and screwed the good leg also. I flew it the next day and it's ready for El Dorado.
I had one break in a high speed inverted landing with the motor running.  I fixed it the same way and have had no problems since.
Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 05:29:02 PM »
When drilling PLA run the drill motor in reverse and melt through the plastic. If you go forward it rips the layers apart. Melted plastic seals the layers.
Good luck.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 08:51:29 PM »
When drilling PLA run the drill motor in reverse and melt through the plastic. If you go forward it rips the layers apart. Melted plastic seals the layers.
Good luck.
Speaking of melting, I have had two of the printed mounts soften with heat from the motor around the hole bushings and stretch loosening the motor.  My solution was to cut a 1mm piece of CF sheet and put it on either side of the printed mount matching the cutouts and bolt holes.  Keeps things in place when it gets soft.  Surgery replacing the canard drive shaft exposed it.  Similar one on the front.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
Speaking of melting, I have had two of the printed mounts soften with heat from the motor around the hole bushings and stretch loosening the motor.  My solution was to cut a 1mm piece of CF sheet and put it on either side of the printed mount matching the cutouts and bolt holes.  Keeps things in place when it gets soft.  Surgery replacing the canard drive shaft exposed it.  Similar one on the front.

Ken

The Okie Air mounts are printed with PLA.
There is a more heat resistant material called PETG.
I also use a modified version that uses the aluminum plate mount that comes with every motor. Dissipates heat better and allows for better cooling.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here