News:

• May 17, 2024, 01:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Precision Aerobatics - Expert 1st place - Brodak  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Will Moore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Precision Aerobatics - Expert 1st place - Brodak
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
O. K., so this is Historic !

Juest got back from Brodak, and have to say "Congratulations to Mike Palko for placing 1st in Expert, with his electric Mustang!!!"

Stunning job on the build and equally stunning performance in the circle.

First time, ever, that an electric placed 1st in expert at the Brodak event (to my knowledge)

It was a pleasure to be there, a pleasure to meet everyone, and a pleasure to compete against some of the best pilots in America

Hats off to Mike, and actually everyone.  Without the attendance, there would be no contest.

Special graditude to Mr. Brodak, who is a gentleman,  who offered his home for the event.
That was quite a sacrifice as the wet climate did its thing with his lawn.
And special thanks to all the leadership necessary to make it happen.
I consider the event sort of the "Woodstock" of control line flying on the planet !

Hope to see you all next year !

Will Moore
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Precision Aerobatics - Expert 1st place - Brodak
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »
Rock and Roll Palko, you da man!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »
O. K., so this is Historic !

Juest got back from Brodak, and have to say "Congratulations to Mike Palko for placing 1st in Expert, with his electric Mustang!!!"

Stunning job on the build and equally stunning performance in the circle.

First time, ever, that an electric placed 1st in expert at the Brodak event (to my knowledge)

It was a pleasure to be there, a pleasure to meet everyone, and a pleasure to compete against some of the best pilots in America

Hats off to Mike, and actually everyone.  Without the attendance, there would be no contest.

Special graditude to Mr. Brodak, who is a gentleman,  who offered his home for the event.
That was quite a sacrifice as the wet climate did its thing with his lawn.
And special thanks to all the leadership necessary to make it happen.
I consider the event sort of the "Woodstock" of control line flying on the planet !

Hope to see you all next year !

Will Moore

That is very kind of you Will! H^^ It was nice to finally meet you after so many years. Your original 4S ship was beautiful. I look forward to seeing you again next year, possibly with an electric ship of your own.

John, Buzz, Allen and Tom are all first class. I hope everyone gets to make a Brodak Flyin at some point........
Thanks so much, Mike

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »
Way to go Mike!   CLP** BW@ CLP** BW@
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:09:50 AM »
Congrats Mike!  H^^  8)

You and the Mustang are really working well together,  and especially Saturday's conditions really put things to the test!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »
I'm lovin' it!

Good show, Mike, will you please repeat it at the Nats? ;->

L.

"Tis but a part we see, and not a whole." -Alexander Pope
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
Thank you all! Due to a new job I won't be at the Nationals this year :(. I wasn't sure I would be able to make Brodaks, but things worked out. I plan to be at the 2010 Nats and will try my best to improve upon my 8th place finish in 2008.
Mike 

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »
Here's an in-flight shot from last year's (sunny) contest.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
Great Job Mike!!  Congrats on the win.  I am sorry you won't be at the NATS this year.  I really missed going to Brodak's this year.  Sounds like I missed a good time.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »
Mike, what is the equivalent power that the motor makes compared to a regular I.C. engine?  Buddy Weider claims that when he launched for you at the Nats, he could swear he was dragged along with the power that that motor made.

Matt Colan

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »
Mike, what is the equivalent power that the motor makes compared to a regular I.C. engine?  Buddy Weider claims that when he launched for you at the Nats, he could swear he was dragged along with the power that that motor made.

Hey, fellow electronistas; looks like young Matt is visiting the E-forum.  #^

Hey Matt, you were looking for ideas on how to power that new Cobra of yours, the boyz here will give you LOTS of ideas...  ;D
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:52:52 AM »

Hi Matt,
   The airplane was built around a PA .61 with a Smith/Werwage tuned pipe. Dan Banjock flew the same design with this combination. When the motor starts, it goes to full power, then backs down to flight power. I would imagine a .61 would give you the same feeling if you ran it full tilt, but that is never the case.

Mike 

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:12:36 AM »

Hey Matt, you were looking for ideas on how to power that new Cobra of yours, the boyz here will give you LOTS of ideas...  ;D

Dennis, I'm just curious because who knows in the future, maybe I'll have an e-powered stunt model.  I'm just trying to learn abuot some of this stuff on the other end of the spectrum.

Matt Colan

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »
Dennis, I'm just curious because who knows in the future, maybe I'll have an e-powered stunt model.  I'm just trying to learn abuot some of this stuff on the other end of the spectrum.

...and I think you know I was just teasing a little - the Brodak 40 in the Cobra will be a great combo.  However with electric:

* you will not need a shaft extension
* you will never throw a prop
* you will never miss a start
* you will not waste any flights shimming tank heights & such

I only mention these because I am aware of the hard work you went through to get that fabulous Ares of yours under control.  I know you were talking about investing in a Pipe motor - but I suggest for the same (or less) investment you could have a pretty formidable e-power set-up.

Keep hanging around this forum, check-out the "post your set-up" sticky thread, and don't be afraid to jump in if you have any questions.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »
...and I think you know I was just teasing a little - the Brodak 40 in the Cobra will be a great combo.  However with electric:

* you will not need a shaft extension
* you will never throw a prop
* you will never miss a start
* you will not waste any flights shimming tank heights & such

I only mention these because I am aware of the hard work you went through to get that fabulous Ares of yours under control.  I know you were talking about investing in a Pipe motor - but I suggest for the same (or less) investment you could have a pretty formidable e-power set-up.

Keep hanging around this forum, check-out the "post your set-up" sticky thread, and don't be afraid to jump in if you have any questions.

OK, thanks  H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
  • Old Timers - My Speed...
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
I was at the Brodak Fly-In on Friday and watched one of Mike's flights from near the combat circle.  The performance was so good that I didn't realize it was electric until the combat match ended and I couldn't hear a motor!  I didn't know who the pilot was, and wanted more information on the setup, so I went looking...

I located the plane near the front flight-line, but nobody nearby knew who owned it. :(   I snapped a couple of pictures and tried stopping past later, but it was gone.  The plane has a beautiful finish, the photos don't do it justice...   

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »

Here's what an electric powered (ST51 conversion) Cobra looks like:
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here