News:

• May 05, 2024, 04:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Watts to weight  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Scott Curren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Watts to weight
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:32:05 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to figure power needed for a electric stunt. Watts to weight?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Watts to weight
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »
it ujsed to be discussed that 150 watts per pound was the goal, basically same as a 3D RC airframe.
however there is a lot more to it than that,, best idea is to look in the pinned thread about "list your setup" find a similar airframe and weight, then use that as a guidline to have a starting place. Unless there is a specific reason you are trying to go off the reservation, there should be something functional listed that will get you close
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
Last time I looked (which was a while ago) it was 7W/oz average (use for setting battery size), 11W/oz peak (use for choosing motor and ESC).

Like Mark said it's more complicated than that -- even putting aside the fact that a timer with an accelerometer in it will cause you to use more power, you still need to choose the right motor kV, prop size, pitch, etc.  And, no matter what you do, all the math will just get you in the ballpark anyway, insuring that you'll have a first flight that leaves you feeling that you can make things better.  You'll still have to fuss and fiddle to get everything matched up to your airframe and style of flying.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Scott Curren

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
Thanks very much! That"s kind of what I was thinking but, wasn't sure how close it needed to be to rc. I scratched my on design profile with nobler moments that should be really close to 42oz with a 54" wing

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »
Thanks very much! That"s kind of what I was thinking but, wasn't sure how close it needed to be to rc. I scratched my on design profile with nobler moments that should be really close to 42oz with a 54" wing

There should be a lot of planes of similar size listed in "List your Setup".  Go, look, shamelessly copy.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here